'07 draft class - the need for a qb

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by cowtowndick, Feb 2, 2006.

1. cowtowndick

cowtowndick Seasoned Veteran

Many of us (especially me) have posted that we need to get our next franchise qb this year. Hypothetically speaking, and not knowing who may be potentian free agents after the '06 season, does anyone have any thoughts on the '07 qb class? Assuming all goes well, we'll be drafting, oh, let's say somewhere between 22 and 28 (I have a good feeling). Here's some names - what do y'all think?

Brady Quinn, ND
    Jordan Palmer, UTEP
    Drew Stanton, Mich St
    Chris Leak, Fla
    Troy Smith, Oh St
    Sam Keller, ASU

2. In_Flames

In_Flames A True Fan

Quinn is way out of reach for us, IMO the first QB to go...I like Stanton however, wouldn't mind going after him if we don't find our answer this offseason...

3. sports24/7

sports24/7 Bleeder of Aqua and Orange

I don't think we get out of this draft without our QB of the future. Whether that's a first round guy or a 2nd or 3rd round guy, I just can' see Saban waiting another year.

4. cowtowndick

cowtowndick Seasoned Veteran

totally agree - just throwing it out there for discussion purposes. i guess it depends upon what happens this year, if saban/mueller decide that the FA is the thing to do. but yeah, i'd be a little concerned if we don't draft a qb this year.

5. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I like Keller of ASU, and not just because I am an Arizona State alum.....the only problem is he got hurt during the year. I would put Keller as the 2nd best QB in the PAC-10 this past year, behing Matt Leinart. Quinn is probably at the top of the list at the moment....we might want to pass on a QB this year, and find Gus's replacement next year. :confused:

6. thejetssuck

thejetssuck Seasoned Veteran

BLASPHEMY!!!!...........just kiddin. But seriously I don't think Saban will make haste THAT slowly.

7. 23Dolphins34

23Dolphins34 Well-Known Member

I like Stanton and Keller, Quinn will be a top 5 selection so he'll be out of our reach. I'm not sold on Leak and need to see a little more of Troy Smith, although he did play well against Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

8. Motion

Motion A True Fan

Quinn, Stanton, or Keller would all be great but I really don't see Saban putting of the QB issue for another year.

9. ANIMALPAK28

ANIMALPAK28 ANIMALPAK

I Really Don't Like Leak, The Games I've Seen Him He Does Not Impress Me At All. The Little I Have Seen Of Smith Leads Me To Beleive He'll End Up In The Top 10-15 At Least In 07. Quinn Would Be Way Out Of Reach For Us. Hopefully That Is.

10. Pennington's Rocket Arm

Pennington's Rocket Arm Sucking for Luck Since 2004

only quinn, stanton and keller look good from that list. smith is a great college QB, but i think he'll ultimately switch positions. keller needs to win a starting job from rudy carpenter, so who knows where he is at this point. i don't see chris leak every doing anything in the NFL to be honest.

11. kpcane

kpcane A True Fan

Say no to Quinn. We don't need Trent Dilfer's estranged brother.

12. Pennington's Rocket Arm

:confused: i don't get it.

13. Phishstix

Phishstix Finheaven's Fattest Pimp

brohm and henne will prob. be in next year's draft, too. while this class will have quinn and brohm- two studs no doubt, imo it won't be as taltnet rich at the top as this year's in young and leinart, though the class might be a little deper.

14. Motion

Motion A True Fan

That makes no sense whatsoever. :shakeno: No comparison.

15. sports24/7

Yeah, you never know. I don't think we'll have a chance at Quinn or Stanton, but Keller might be in our range. Next year could actually turn out to be a very good QB draft if some Juniors come out. If you combine Quinn, Stanton, Keller, and Zabransky who all have the potential to be first rounders with the possibility of guys like Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, and Kyle Wright that could equal one hell of a class.

16. Pennington's Rocket Arm

kyle wright has a lot of work to do. sam keller has it all, but he may not even start next year, so that's a weird situation. zabrasnky?

17. Motion

Motion A True Fan

:lol: Not quite

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

What the heck? How do you compare Quinn with Trent Dilfer?

19. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

If Brohm comes back from injury and plays well, I think he's the 2nd best Qb behind Quinn in next years draft if he declares.

20. sports24/7

Wright does have alot to work on, but has everything you want from a QB and has the talent around him to have a big year. Big enough to leave? We'll have to see. Zabransky might be a little bit of a reach and I know alot of people aren't talking about him, but I think he is a very good QB and people will learn who he is as the year goes on.

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Yeah Zabransky has been impressive definitely. I think that Miami will be taking a QB on Day 1 this year and that may preclude us from getting one in the 1st round next year.

22. Dors156

Dors156 He's Backkkkk

I personally think that leak would be in postion for us and i think he will have an excellent year next year.he was brilliant in the bowl game and it will be his second year in that offense.i would love to get leak.

23. Dors156

Dors156 He's Backkkkk

and plus if we make the playoffs as most of us has said we wont be in position to take most of those guys so i would like leak.

24. Motion

Motion A True Fan

From one Gator fan to another, come on now! :D Leak will not have an excellent year unless he sacs up and stops running scared. In fact if he starts to struggle i wouldn't be surprised to see Tebow get some playing time. I think he could be an average NFL QB, but not the answer that the Fins are looking for.

25. Skeet84

Skeet84 A True Fan

Ok I am not going to say he is the best by any means, But I think Chris Leak can be a good QB in the NFL. He is one of the best passers I have seen ( When I say that I mean it looks perfect when he throws it ). In his three years at Florida he has had three new offensive coordinators. He could have more velicoty on his throws ( YES ). I am not saying they are alike, But leak will at times be like Matt Lienart when he throws and not always put the velicoty that needs to be on it. Chris Leak has not had any wide receivers ( Yes I said WR's has more than one. The one being Chad Jackson ). Now I will Gurantee that Chris Leak has a great year this year becuase Urban Meyer second year is always better ( He knows what to expect from the SEC ) and WR will be alot better. How can they be better after losing Chad Jackson and Dallas Baker? Well Urban Meyer recruited alot of speed and Talent there ( Percy Harvin #1 in the counrty 6 ft 4.4 , Justin Williams 6ft 2 4.5, Jarred Fayson 6 ft 4.3, and Riley Cooper 6 ft 4 4.3). Sorry if this sounded more like a Gator chant other than a Dolphion one. I really think Chris Leak is a Great QB and his only 2 flaws are that he is short and does not run very well.

26. Motion

Motion A True Fan

I can't wait to see what you guys think of Tim Tebow then. Leak will definitely have his chance to break out this season. He has plenty of weapons, Caldwell coming back will be his main target. But he will also have 4 new starters on the Oline. I'm really looking forward to Tebow.

27. aquawave

aquawave Well-Known Member

:confused:

28. In_Flames

In_Flames A True Fan

don't want to bash him for the comparison, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...I just would like for him to explain it...

29. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

I think Tebow is the perfect Qb for Urban Meyer's system. Next year is definately Leak's year to bring it all together, he's got the opportunity to have a great year, but it's on him. I have no idea who Florida's backup Qb is, but I think Tebow will be redshirted, and it maybe better for him in the long-run. I think it Urban Meyer wins a National Championship at Florida, it will be with Tim Tebow at Qb.

30. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

Quinn & Stanton headline the seniors with Troy Smith & Sam Keller having the potential to be 1st rounders. Other senior day one prospects to look at are Jordan Palmer, Tyler Palko, Lester Ricard, & my sleeper from the MAC this year is Akron's Luke Getsy. Juniors to keep an eye on are Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Kyle Wright, JaMarcus Russell, & JD Booty (doubtful).

Zabransky? He's horrible. He plays in such a pass friendly offense & he's the reason the team was bad. He has an average arm, his accuracy is absolutely horrendous, & his decision making needs a lot of work. He's not very consistent & his play took a step back this year. I imagine he'll be about the same this year with the loss of HC Hawkins to Colorado. He's a second day pick.

I expect more from you CK :shakeno:

31. Skeet84

Skeet84 A True Fan

Tim Tebow is the Back-up. They are moving Gavin Dickey back to WR and he will be the emergency QB. Tebow came in the Spring so if Leak goes down then Tebow will be in. However I don't think Tebow will be ready right now as a passer, But he really is a great runner. Not really fast but can run with the Football. I think he will become alot better passer with Meyer helping him and I can't wait!

32. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

Dickey has given up on football & is focusing solely on his baseball career.

33. Skeet84

Skeet84 A True Fan

Well I guess that leaves Cornelius Ingram at QB if Tebow and Leak go down.