#1 draft pick - Another factor to take into consideration | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#1 draft pick - Another factor to take into consideration

dogpark

Rookie
Reaction score
Leadership.

It is obvious that no one in this draft particularly stands out as the #1 draft pick and no one is probably worth the bonus money of a #1 pick from a talent standpoint. If you're going to pay millions in bonus money, then leadership abilities should definitely be taken into consideration. Out of the potential #1 picks, the guy that stands out with the most leadership potential is Chris Long. This guy was truly a great leader of the Virginia defense both in the locker room and on the field. The guy probably won't be a double-digit sack artist, but I can envision him being the future leader of the Miami defense.

I totally agree, we can't afford to waste the #1 pick of the draft on ANYONE who has character issues. We need someone who will be a long time starter from day one, a positive role model and a leader!

If we don't make the right choice with the #1 pick it definitely will hurt our team.

If we get a prominent LB in free agency like Briggs we wont go after Long. We wont draft Long to play 3-4 DE. He's got to be the next Vrabel for us to consider drafting him. If we cant land a solid OLB in free agency then the odds increase but we still have JT. If we end up with Chris Long or a free agent OLB, JT will be traded for a 2nd rounder. I think its far more likely our strategy is to try to land a OLB in free agency and then draft Ryan

Glenn Dorsey is a very fiery leader on the field, hes been compared to Ray Lewis in how he rallies his teammates

dorsey and long are both great leaders. i do agree we cant go for a guy with character issues but isnt chris long the safest pick. dorsey has a little history of injuries. long is a great talent and could play a great DE in our 3-4 or even OLB. Our LB core need to be beefed up. right now all we have is JT and JP that i would like to start. Channing Crowder played horrible last year at MLB for Zach but he might do better in a 3-4.

dorsey and long are both great leaders. i do agree we cant go for a guy with character issues but isnt chris long the safest pick. dorsey has a little history of injuries. long is a great talent and could play a great DE in our 3-4 or even OLB. Our LB core need to be beefed up. right now all we have is JT and JP that i would like to start. Channing Crowder played horrible last year at MLB for Zach but he might do better in a 3-4.
Dorsey missed ONE GAME in his entire career, he didnt even miss the game he was injured in. That injury has been blown waaaaay out of proportion

The thing with Chris long is he reminds me of Matt Roth... not really big enough for a 3-4 end... he has the same ht and wt and in fact Roth is slightly bigger...

If we get a prominent LB in free agency like Briggs we wont go after Long. We wont draft Long to play 3-4 DE. He's got to be the next Vrabel for us to consider drafting him. If we cant land a solid OLB in free agency then the odds increase but we still have JT. If we end up with Chris Long or a free agent OLB, JT will be traded for a 2nd rounder. I think its far more likely our strategy is to try to land a OLB in free agency and then draft Ryan

I think Briggs, given his size, would play ILB for us in the 3-4. I'm going on a "limb" and I'll say JT is traded, so that leaves us w/Joey Porter as the WOLB in 3-4; we'd still need a bigger guy like Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey (the latter two if we trade out of the 1st overall pick) to compliment Porter on the outside, the I certainly wouldn't mind Briggs and Crowder as the two ILB's in the 3-4.

Dorsey missed ONE GAME in his entire career, he didnt even miss the game he was injured in. That injury has been blown waaaaay out of proportion

he has had BACK AND KNEE injuries in his career in LSU. i didnt say they are major injures but he has had a few and I am going to be very picky if i was the dolphins and i had the number 1 overall pick in the draft.

I think trading down is the only thing that makes sense.

I think trading down is the only thing that makes sense.

Ditto.

We need many quality picks. We're not and haven't been "one guy" away from anything for a while. We need a draft class of solid picks. 4 - 6 starters from where I'm sitting. And I definitely see most of those picks on the O-Line and D-Line.

Based on our needs, Dorsey is the correct pick. With Zach now gone, we don't have the luxury of spending a top pick on a position for which we already have starting talent, we need to fill a starting position.

from LSU web site:

Had to wear metal braces on his legs as a 3-year old due to having severely bowed legs ... Player who also gives back to the community as he spends time speaking to youngsters in the Baton Rouge area and his hometown of Gonzales about the importance of staying in school ... Also carries a theme of “dream big†when speaking to children ... He says, "even if you're from a small town, you can dream big and make things happen."

First off, why do people assume we are going 3-4? did anyone not hear management say they will make the system according to the players and not the other way around?

Chris Long is a much better bet to be parcells guy at #1. Why? DNA --->football family---> greatness -----> character----> not driven by money-----> PB football player---->
worth the #1 pick.

Unless Ryan shows off some incredible QB skillsets and knowledge, I think C long is the guy because he is so versatile and has great skills both stopping run and rushing the passer. Jake Long is a stud too but unfortunately, there are many LT's in this draft that we can steal in round 2 or 3.

Dorsey will not be the guy IMO.

Back
Top Bottom