10 best coaches | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 best coaches

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
1. Pete Carroll, USC: I find it pretty amusing that some people have chosen to blame Carroll -- specifically his ill-fated fourth-and-two call -- for the Rose Bowl loss to Texas. The guy won 34 straight games, people. I don't think he suddenly forgot how to coach with two minutes left in the Rose Bowl.

2. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: Similarly, one disappointing 8-4 season in what we all knew going in was going to be a rebuilding situation does not override Stoops' 60-7 record and three national title appearances in the five years before that. If things don't get better this season, then maybe we'll talk.

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: His teams continue to exhibit the hallmark of good coaching: They get better as the season goes on. With an entirely new D-line last year, the Hawkeyes gave up 314 rushing yards to Ohio State on Sept. 24. Seven weeks later they held Brian Calhoun and Wisconsin to 19.

4. Mack Brown, Texas: I'm sure there are still plenty of die-hard Mack haters out there who will contend he lucked out with Vince Young, but the guy's got to be doing something right: His 56-8 record is the best in the country over the past five years, and he hasn't won fewer than nine games in a season since 1995.

5. Jim Tressel, Ohio State: Over the past two years we've watched the traditionally conservative Tressel reinvent his offense around the playmaking abilities of electrifying QB Troy Smith while still maintaining his usual emphasis on defense and special teams.

For more see Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/06/28/mandel.mailbag/index.html

I think Pete Carroll is more of a great recruiter than a great coach. The talent he has had on that team the last five years has been amazing, when you have players in the NFL who couldn't even get playing time at USC you know you are deep. But on gameday I would much rather have a guy like Kirk Ferentz on the sidelines than Caroll.

Before reading this... I was going to say that George O'Leary should be on that list... but it turns out he already was... :cooldude:
10. George O'Leary, UCF: He never really got proper due for his tenure at Georgia Tech, where his .612 winning percentage was the school's highest since Bobby Dodd, but his most remarkable achievement came last year, when he orchestrated the Golden Knights' incredible turnaround from 0-11 to 8-5 and a Conference USA division title.

PSUFinFan said:
I think Pete Carroll is more of a great recruiter than a great coach. The talent he has had on that team the last five years has been amazing, when you have players in the NFL who couldn't even get playing time at USC you know you are deep. But on gameday I would much rather have a guy like Kirk Ferentz on the sidelines than Caroll.

I am so glad im not the only one who thinks that

I mean dont get me wrong he is a good coach, but with talent liek that who needs a coach

I am also glad they didnt put the one year wonder above Stoops

So we can't trash Carroll for losing to Texas, but we can applaud him for winning 34 straight? That write needs to grow some balls of his own.

Carrol to me is a cheerleader more than a coach, he is a real players coach however in that he can relate with the young players and thier since of pop culture, like all those stars that come to their games. I would take coaches like Mack Brown or Bob Stoops over him in an instant

Wanny would win a NC with the talent that USuCk gets

Tressell should be top 3..................U cant find me another team that "brings it" more than OSU in big games.

Man I remember years back my Pats fan friend HATED Carroll. Always proclaiming that a one legged ape could run the team better. I guess the pros aren't always for everyone.

IMO gimmie Weis.

Dan Hawkins, Boise State, now coaching my CU Buffs. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom