10 Targets in Round 1 (Plus a Wildcard) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 Targets in Round 1 (Plus a Wildcard)

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Here are some potential first round targets based on Miami's current draft position of #19. Not looking at trade up options, just discussing players who could/should be there (not listed in order of preference).

Cam Robinson LT Alabama --- Interesting prospect. On talent alone, Robinson is top 10, but off the field issues could drop him. The Dolphins got lucky last year when Laremy Tunsil fell into their laps. Could a similar scenario happen with Robinson and, if so, would Miami draft him? I see Robinson as a pro bowl type guard, although he is good enough to play left tackle.

Zach Cunningham LB Vanderbilt --- I haven't yet seen Cunningham play, but reports on him sound like a good fit for Miami. Reuben Foster should be gone by #19, but Cunningham should be around that spot.

Tim Williams LB, Alabama --- Frankly, I think Williams will be long gone by the 19th pick. But, I have seen many rankings that have him in that range. If available, Williams is very interesting. Pass rushers are always at a premium and he may be the best pure pass rusher in the draft. Seems like a better fit for a 3-4 defense, though.

Charles Harris LB/DE Missouri --- Harris hasn't had a monster year, but he's another player who can rush the passer and has enough size to possibly be a defensive end. Have to think he is high on the Dolphins list.

O.J. Howard TE, Alabama --- Don't think Miami goes tight end in the first round, unless there is a trade down option or they keep winning and end up picking later in the first. That said, you know Adam Gase would love to get one of the talented tight ends from this draft. Howard and Jake Butt could go somewhere in round 1.

Jarrad Davis LB, Florida --- I love Davis and his physical style of play. I see most projections with him closer to round 2, but honestly that would surprise me. Can he cover in the NFL?

Derek Barnett DE, Tennessee --- Most likely a top 15 pick, but Barnett could be an option around 19.

Desmond King CB Iowa --- I love King, but not sure he fits the Dolphins mold based on size. That said, King is physical and is one of the better cover corners in the draft. Could be a slot cover guy. Projections have him near the bottom of round 1.

Justin Evans S, Texas A'M --- If the Dolphins draft a safety I wouldn't expect it to be in round 1, unless Jamal Adams from LSU drops (highly unlikely). But, there are some really good safeties in the draft and if Miami continues to win and pick closer to the bottom of round 1, a player like Evans could be in play.

Dawuane Smoot DE, Illinois --- Smoot hasn't been as productive as expected, but he has the talent to be a pass rusher at the next level. May be a guy who goes end of round 1 or top of round 2.

Wildcard pick..... D'Onta Foreman RB, Texas --- A running back in round 1 would be extremely surprising, especially the way Jay Ajayi is playing. But, we've seen how important a running game is and you know Gase would love to continue to pound the rock. With Ajayi and Foreman, the Dolphins would have a luxury that few teams have in the NFL -- two power backs who can wear down a defense.

OJ Howard has never really broken out the way we expected he would. I'm souring on him.

My preferred tight end is Jeremy Sprinkle. Plays in an offense that really knows how to use tight ends and he's taken the time to learn all the roles he could play. A year ago Hunter Henry was there as an attached tight end so Sprinkle played a fullback/H-back position at 6'6" and 256 lbs. And he was good at it. This year he's among the best blockers I've seen at the college level, and he's still a good pass catcher because he has good body control and athleticism, can run. Nice hands, too. That's your Martellus Bennett type.

I do like Jordan Leggett as well. And of course O.J. Howard though not enough to be looking at him in the 1st round. I think Phazahn Odom is a really underrated tight end prospect I'd love to get hold of.

Given the importance of the offensive line and ground game to the formula Miami has developed during this 5 game win streak, and given the injuries they keep seeing among their players on the line, it would behoove us to once again consider some offensive linemen with our highest picks. Cam Robinson is a no-brainer because he's so talented.

I do like Elflein. Is he a 1st rounder? Maybe so.

There's a decent chance David Njoku comes out this year. IMHO he's another Jordan Reed. He's young (RS Sophomore), and he does have concentration drops now and then, but the kid is an absolute freak athlete. He runs like a wide receiver (sub 4.6), high jumps on the track team, and is as tough to bring down as any tight end. He also runs solid routes. I think the only TEs I would consider over him would be Bucky Hodges (better size) and Jordan Leggett (experience). I like both Hodges and Njoku because I think they are both just now scratching the surface of their talent, and the best is yet to come out of both. This looks like it is going to be a REALLY deep TE draft, and IMHO we might be able to wait until the 3rd round to get an elite seam threat at the position. I think Njoku goes in the 2nd though. He will blow up at the combine. If he comes out. Which I would guess is 50/50 at this time.

My preferred tight end is Jeremy Sprinkle. Plays in an offense that really knows how to use tight ends and he's taken the time to learn all the roles he could play. A year ago Hunter Henry was there as an attached tight end so Sprinkle played a fullback/H-back position at 6'6" and 256 lbs. And he was good at it. This year he's among the best blockers I've seen at the college level, and he's still a good pass catcher because he has good body control and athleticism, can run. Nice hands, too. That's your Martellus Bennett type.

I do like Jordan Leggett as well. And of course O.J. Howard though not enough to be looking at him in the 1st round. I think Phazahn Odom is a really underrated tight end prospect I'd love to get hold of.

Round 2 might be where Miami looks to add a tight end. Sprinkle or Leggett could be there round 2, no? I think Howard and Butt go round 1, but I would really be surprised in the Dolphins went tight end that high.

Given the importance of the offensive line and ground game to the formula Miami has developed during this 5 game win streak, and given the injuries they keep seeing among their players on the line, it would behoove us to once again consider some offensive linemen with our highest picks. Cam Robinson is a no-brainer because he's so talented.

I do like Elflein. Is he a 1st rounder? Maybe so.

Elflein's versatility would be a nice add for Miami. I like him better as a guard personally, but he's only had one year at center. The Dolphins need to think long-term and Pouncey's injury history is problematic.

There's a decent chance David Njoku comes out this year. IMHO he's another Jordan Reed. He's young (RS Sophomore), and he does have concentration drops now and then, but the kid is an absolute freak athlete. He runs like a wide receiver (sub 4.6), high jumps on the track team, and is as tough to bring down as any tight end. He also runs solid routes. I think the only TEs I would consider over him would be Bucky Hodges (better size) and Jordan Leggett (experience). I like both Hodges and Njoku because I think they are both just now scratching the surface of their talent, and the best is yet to come out of both. This looks like it is going to be a REALLY deep TE draft, and IMHO we might be able to wait until the 3rd round to get an elite seam threat at the position. I think Njoku goes in the 2nd though. He will blow up at the combine. If he comes out. Which I would guess is 50/50 at this time.

I haven't seen Njoku, but the tight end position seems loaded. I expect a run there in early round 2. Hope Miami adds one of the top guys.

Elflein's versatility would be a nice add for Miami. I like him better as a guard personally, but he's only had one year at center. The Dolphins need to think long-term and Pouncey's injury history is problematic.

I think he's really interesting as a center and like Slimm said in another thread, he'll want that because he'll get paid more.

That's not how Miami would use him right away but it would be a great option to have down the road when Mike Pouncey's hips disintegrate like wet newspaper.

I can't imagine us drafting oline unless there is a Zack Martin in this draft.

And I'm surprised people still think McCaffrey is a 1st rnd player.

I can't see us passing any elite front 7 player for any other position unless A QB Gase wants is there.

I can't imagine us drafting oline unless there is a Zack Martin in this draft.

And I'm surprised people still think McCaffrey is a 1st rnd player.

I can't see us passing any elite front 7 player for any other position unless A QB Gase wants is there.

:sidelol:

53414609.jpg

:sidelol:

53414609.jpg

I don't wanna bring that convo into this forum, but I have no clue why anyone Would think Tannehill has locked up his job for the future.

Gase didn't come here to run this, "don't let tannehill lose it offense," were running now.

I think he's really interesting as a center and like Slimm said in another thread, he'll want that because he'll get paid more.

That's not how Miami would use him right away but it would be a great option to have down the road when Mike Pouncey's hips disintegrate like wet newspaper.

Agree. If I'm Miami I continue to build the offensive line and getting someone who can be your future at center makes a ton of sense. I'd look round 2 if he's available.

Back
Top Bottom