10 Targets in Round 1 (Plus a Wildcard) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 Targets in Round 1 (Plus a Wildcard)

I don't want to downplay our need at linebacker but Kiko Alonso has played to a level where you can say that he's going to be the guy that stays in 100% of the time, and some defenses don't even have two of those.

There are just all kinds of ways to structure your defense. I mean look at the Lions as an example here, since their defense is so structurally similar to our own. They have Tahir Whitehead who is "the man" there, nearly 100% of the snaps. But their second guy, whether it's Josh Bynes or (before they traded him) Kyle Van Noy, maybe takes about 50-60% of the snaps. A situation that is similar, in a defense that is also related to our own, you see in Cincinnati they've got Vontaze Burfict as that 100% player when healthy and when he is healthy then Karlos Dansby becomes more like a 60-70% player while Vincent Rey becomes a 30-40% guy. There are different ways to structure it and that's without even getting into hybrid LB/DE players and hybrid S/LB players.

So yes, you can be opportunistic about a complete linebacker in this draft, a guy that is just so good you've got to have him. But you don't need to force anything. You don't need to worry about a run on linebackers, when you have Kiko Alonso about to get a contract extension to be that Tahir Whitehead 100% player whereas the other guys are going to naturally sub in and out.

I like Reuben Foster but I don't know that I'm forcing anything there. And if I "lose out" so to speak on the complete linebackers (Zach Cunningham, Anthony Walker, Reuben Foster, maybe Jarrad David though I haven't looked at him yet)...that's fine. I mean I'd like to have ALL good players on my roster but you've still got plenty of really interesting guys you could take.

Look at Tak McKinley, Ryan Anderson, Haason Reddick, Tyus Bowser and Ejuan Price as examples of guys you could take that could play Sam and may actually be able to rush the passer 6 to 10 times a game or more, depending on which guy. You'd probably for example be a lot more comfortable with a Tyus Bowser in coverage than an Ejuan Price, whom you'd like to see put his hand down some more because he's such a blazing fast pass rusher.

I also look at guys like Kendall Beckwith and Matt Milano and I think they're just so good at what they do that I can find roles for them as well. They would probably fit pretty well into a situation where Kiko Alonso is "the man". And to be quite honest, so may Mike Hull. We need to see on him a little bit.

Summarizing, we need bodies at linebacker. I agree there. But we may not need to reach for stars. It would be tough for the Dolphins to continue as a team though if they weren't able to keep things rolling with its defensive line. And right now (outside of the hybrids mentioned) the only guys I see that seem like they could legitimately help us there would be Myles Garrett (pipe dream), Derek Barnett, Charles Harris, Tim Williams, or Carl Lawson, and then maybe guys like Taco Charlton, DeMarkus Walker, Daeshon Hall, or Jordan Willis. If you miss on that crowd you've probably not done anything meaningful at DE. I don't know that there's a place at DE for guys like Jonathan Allen or Chris Wormley in this defense. Good players, both of them, particularly Wormley reminds me of Richard Seymour which is a player you'd always love to have. But right now the attention may need to be on the ends considering Branch is a free agent and may have designs on getting paid, Wake is really old, and it's become clear we're having an issue with lack of rotation and inability to keep guys fresh.

Hey CK...You really don't think we could find a place for Jonathan Allen on our DLine?

Hey CK...You really don't think we could find a place for Jonathan Allen on our DLine?

Of course you could. But in so doing you'd be setting aside high value assets in Jordan Phillips and Earl Mitchell, neither of which is scheduled to be a free agent.

Honestly when I watch Ejuan Price I'm reminded of Myles Jack. When I saw him the first thing I thought is how the hell does Pitt always get hold of these players whose talent and size are completely mismatched, the other being Aaron Donald.

I would not hesitate really to go after someone like Charles Harris in the 1st round to be a true RDE. You could still sign back Andre Branch or go after Mario Addison in free agency as a replacement for Branch, and there would be plenty room for a Charles Harris. Then on top of that you could target a guy like Ejuan Price much later.

I can see the Jack comparison, but Price is a more dangerous pass rusher. The strength and burst, though, make the comparison work. Ohio St., among others, made offers to Price, and it's hard not to think of Donald, but it is weird that Pitt seems to end up with these superstar misfits.

I can see the Jack comparison, but Price is a more dangerous pass rusher. The strength and burst, though, make the comparison work. Ohio St., among others, made offers to Price, and it's hard not to think of Donald, but it is weird that Pitt seems to end up with these superstar misfits.

It's the speed and the fluid hips that reminded me of Jack. Price is most definitely a better pass rusher. There's a Jakeem Grant quality about his pass rush as well, if that makes sense. He's just so clearly way too fast and quick for these guys to handle, and the speed gives him size/power that you'd never expect.

Of course you could. But in so doing you'd be setting aside high value assets in Jordan Phillips and Earl Mitchell, neither of which is scheduled to be a free agent.

Actually..what I should of said...Do you think Jonathan could play DE on our line and kick him inside to rush the passer like he does at Bama?

Actually..what I should of said...Do you think Jonathan could play DE on our line and kick him inside to rush the passer like he does at Bama?

No I really don't see that happening. Miami had been experimenting with oversized defensive ends in Jason Jones and Mario Williams and they made a discrete decision to go away from that, to tag in Andre Branch and Cameron Wake, and have the defensive ends be what Vance Joseph has always described as most appropriate for his defense which is for them to be linebacker-like. And the thing about Mitchell, Suh and Phillips is they can all rush the passer as well. I just don't see the value going for Allen (who we're not going to get a crack at anyway so it's moot) unless we're trading off assets.

Seems like this might be the year to try to grab a nice safety prospect in the first round (Hooker, Adams, Peppers) if one falls. Maybe a TE in the second. I know we need to rebuild our LBs, but we are trying to establish a new identity and vitalize a new regime, not just plug holes.

Seems like this might be the year to try to grab a nice safety prospect in the first round (Hooker, Adams, Peppers) if one falls. Maybe a TE in the second. I know we need to rebuild our LBs, but we are trying to establish a new identity and vitalize a new regime, not just plug holes.

TE talent is good, but so is the LB and DE talent, and Miami has neglected the D for far too long.

I think there's something to be said for the safety talent, particularly Jamal Adams and Jabrill Peppers, two guys that I think could help transition us into a defensive approach where our base is nickel.

I think there's something to be said for the safety talent, particularly Jamal Adams and Jabrill Peppers, two guys that I think could help transition us into a defensive approach where our base is nickel.

Adams in particular is a rare prospect, so he'd be hard pass up, but it seems unlikely that either will be available when Miami drafts. I have Adams locked in the top 10, with a shot of going top 5. Best S class since 2010.

Adams in particular is a rare prospect, so he'd be hard pass up, but it seems unlikely that either will be available when Miami drafts. I have Adams locked in the top 10, with a shot of going top 5. Best S class since 2010.

Budda Baker is a guy I like, more of an early round 2 target and I belive a little out of our reach. He is a dynamic playmaker...

Next year you will have Derwin James and Malik Hooker....

I too have a tough time seeing Adams become available to us, but we also don't know yet how Miami will finish out the year.

I too have a tough time seeing Adams become available to us, but we also don't know yet how Miami will finish out the year.

True that. If Miami loses out or only wins one more game, they may have a shot at one. Blanding would be a nice consolation S in the 2nd or 3rd.

Getting back to pash rushers, no love for Harold Landry?

Let's play a little game here. Based on current draft order let's say Miami has the #19 pick in each round. They gave up their natural 3rd and compensatory 4th for Carroo. They should be getting a compensatory 3rd and another compensatory 6th according to their internal calculations (who knows if it works out that way but they shouldn't be that far off, for example I know they're getting that 3rd).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

I give rankings like these a 10% wiggle room so if a player is ranked 5 spots above your pick #50, let's just pretend he'll be available. I focused purely on the players that I've actually watched play football. I hate the idea of plugging in a pick because people seem to like him and I read good things about him and maybe have seen him once but didn't really study him. The list of guys to consider, listed in order of CBS's rankings.

#019: DE Tim Williams, DE Derek Barnett, CB Desmond King, DE Carl Lawson, DE Charles Harris, OLB Takk McKinley, OL Pat Elflein
#050: OLB Haason Reddick, OLB Ryan Anderson, CB Jourdan Lewis, DL Chris Wormley, TE Jordan Leggett, RB Samaje Perine, CB Cameron Sutton, OL Taylor Moton, RB D'Onta Foreman
#095: CB Chidobe Awuzie, DE Jordan Willis, QB Davis Webb, DE Daeshon Hall
#117: CB Kevin King, S Eddie Jackson, DT Montravious Adams, TE Jeremy Sprinkle, QB Cooper Rush, RB Corey Clement, LB Matt Milano
#157: RB Marlon Mack, OLB Ejuan Price, CB Damontae Kazee, WR Taywan Taylor
#194: OG Johnny Caspers, S Xavier Woods, RB James Conner
#216: WR Amba Etta-Tawo, OLB Tyus Bowser
#240: WR Josh Reynolds, WR Quincy Adeboyejo, S Weston Steelhammer, CB Jack Tocho, TE Phazahn Odom, OT Forrest Lamp
UDFA: WR Austin Carr, WR Jalen Robinette, RB Jordan Chunn

Let's play a little game here. Based on current draft order let's say Miami has the #19 pick in each round. They gave up their natural 3rd and compensatory 4th for Carroo. They should be getting a compensatory 3rd and another compensatory 6th according to their internal calculations (who knows if it works out that way but they shouldn't be that far off, for example I know they're getting that 3rd).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

I give rankings like these a 10% wiggle room so if a player is ranked 5 spots above your pick #50, let's just pretend he'll be available. I focused purely on the players that I've actually watched play football. I hate the idea of plugging in a pick because people seem to like him and I read good things about him and maybe have seen him once but didn't really study him. The list of guys to consider, listed in order of CBS's rankings.

#019: DE Tim Williams, DE Derek Barnett, CB Desmond King, DE Carl Lawson, DE Charles Harris, OLB Takk McKinley, OL Pat Elflein
#050: OLB Haason Reddick, OLB Ryan Anderson, CB Jourdan Lewis, DL Chris Wormley, TE Jordan Leggett, RB Samaje Perine, CB Cameron Sutton, OL Taylor Moton, RB D'Onta Foreman
#095: CB Chidobe Awuzie, DE Jordan Willis, QB Davis Webb, DE Daeshon Hall
#117: CB Kevin King, S Eddie Jackson, DT Montravious Adams, TE Jeremy Sprinkle, QB Cooper Rush, RB Corey Clement, LB Matt Milano
#157: RB Marlon Mack, OLB Ejuan Price, CB Damontae Kazee, WR Taywan Taylor
#194: OG Johnny Caspers, S Xavier Woods, RB James Conner
#216: WR Amba Etta-Tawo, OLB Tyus Bowser
#240: WR Josh Reynolds, WR Quincy Adeboyejo, S Weston Steelhammer, CB Jack Tocho, TE Phazahn Odom, OT Forrest Lamp
UDFA: WR Austin Carr, WR Jalen Robinette, RB Jordan Chunn

Nice list. I think if you're going best player available at a position of need this would be my draft based on those projections and only on those players listed.

1. Tim Williams OLB --- Just think he's too good of a pass rusher to pass on. Charles Harris would be #2 for me based on those guys
2. D'Onta Foreman RB --- Miami doesn't need a running back based on how Jay Ajayi is playing. However, I'm really excited about Foreman and don't think he's that far off from Fournette to be honest. Ajayi's knee, if the Dolphins see it as a concern, could factor into a higher pick at running back than fans might think. Lots to like on that 2nd round list.
3. Daeshon Hall DE --- Looking to continue to build the defense.
4. Jeremy Sprinkle TE --- Got to believe Miami gets a tight end in this draft. I know you are high on Sprinkle. Close between him and Eddie Jackson at safety.
5. Ejuan Price LB --- Some pass rush potential there. Not sure of the fit. May be looking for a safety there if that hasn't been filled yet.
6. Xavier Woods S --- Not to shabby for round 6 I would think.
6. Don't know either of those two.
7. Forrest Lamp OG --- Isn't he projected more like round 3?

Back
Top Bottom