11/2 - dolphin mock | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

11/2 - dolphin mock

I like Sintim as well. I have my eye on him and Aaron Curry. As for Lauranitis, I would love to have him, unfortunately, he won't be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken it for granted that Curry is an ILB in the Dolphins' system. But he has the flexibility to play any of the four LB positions and that gives him added value to us.

First of all its WAY TOO EARLY to be making any serious thought about a mock draft. Cant we see what order we are selecting in first? From about the 3rd or 4th round on, Id say you might be able to make a suggestion as to who we will select but 1st round and even 2nd rounders will depend heavily on what order we select in.

Secondly, I agree completely with CK's take on doubling up. However CK, if you seriously think Henne was selected to be paired with Beck and that there was a serious thought of those two being competative with each other, youre kidding yourself.

When the FO select Henne, they selected him with the idea that he would blow Beck away. If they felt he would be competing on the same level as Beck, they wouldnt have bothered selecting him. If they had drafted a 7th round QB, or signed a rookie FA QB, then it might be reasonable to think they felt that player would battle with Beck.

First of all its WAY TOO EARLY to be making any serious thought about a mock draft. Cant we see what order we are selecting in first? From about the 3rd or 4th round on, Id say you might be able to make a suggestion as to who we will select but 1st round and even 2nd rounders will depend heavily on what order we select in.

Secondly, I agree completely with CK's take on doubling up. However CK, if you seriously think Henne was selected to be paired with Beck and that there was a serious thought of those two being competative with each other, youre kidding yourself.

When the FO select Henne, they selected him with the idea that he would blow Beck away. If they felt he would be competing on the same level as Beck, they wouldnt have bothered selecting him. If they had drafted a 7th round QB, or signed a rookie FA QB, then it might be reasonable to think they felt that player would battle with Beck.

very well said.

what kinda gets me though is they had henne on the board but went for merling b/c he dropped to us. if they saw henne has a franchise QB why would they risk taking a RE whether he becomes a great one or not over a franchise QB? maybe they didnt expect him to be as good as he is doing right now.

they also said Royal was VERY VERY high on their board and he went a few slots after our 32 so i wonder if that pick was goin to go to royal instead of merling had merling not been there.

very well said.

what kinda gets me though is they had henne on the board but went for merling b/c he dropped to us. if they saw henne has a franchise QB why would they risk taking a RE whether he becomes a great one or not over a franchise QB? maybe they didnt expect him to be as good as he is doing right now.

they also said Royal was VERY VERY high on their board and he went a few slots after our 32 so i wonder if that pick was goin to go to royal instead of merling had merling not been there.

I think you have a very good point there SR7.

I think a lot of people are making a huge mistake in thinking that it is a forgone conclusion that Carey and Crowder are coming back. Both of them will be high on their respective FA position lists.

We could easily lose them both to FA.

1. James Laurinaitis (ILB Ohio St)
2. Clint Sintim (DE/OLB Virginia)
2. Derek Pegues (FS Miss St)
3. Domonique Johnson (CB Jackson St)
4. Ramses Barden (WR Cal Poly-SLO)
5. Augustus Parrish (OT Kent St)
7. Pierre Banks (LB/S Appalachian St)
7. Conor Lee (K Pittsburgh)
7. Robbie Agone (TE Delaware)

I like the Sintim pick, but the rest could use some changing.

1. OLB Clint Sintim, University of Virginia
2a. S Rashad Johnson, University of Alabama
2b. C Jonathan Luigs, University of Arkansas
3. WR Demetrius Byrd, Louisiana State University
4. NT Ron Brace, Boston College
5. CB Londen Fryar, Western Michigan
7. CB Jackie Bates, Hampton
7. ILB Antonio Appleby, University of Virginia
7. FB Conredge Collins, University of Pittsburgh

I like the Sintim pick, but the rest could use some changing.

1. OLB Clint Sintim, University of Virginia
2a. S Rashad Johnson, University of Alabama
2b. C Jonathan Luigs, University of Arkansas
3. WR Demetrius Byrd, Louisiana State University
4. NT Ron Brace, Boston College
5. CB Londen Fryar, Western Michigan
7. CB Jackie Bates, Hampton
7. ILB Antonio Appleby, University of Virginia
7. FB Conredge Collins, University of Pittsburgh

Like the first pick...love the second pick....third pick I would consider Antoine Caldwell over Luigs if both were available...just to remain with your position..

Like the 4th pick....If Hakeem Nicks were available...I would consider him..

Good spot for Bates in the draft...although at 5-10...I'd like a little taller corner..

I'm generally against drafting FB's at all...I prefer to see them acquired via free agency...unless there's a player like Peyton Hillis, for example, available...one that's the total package (running, receiving, blocking) but is also a special teams demon.

Appleby has the size, etc. that Parcells likes in his LB's...nice pick.

Nice draft....addressed most of the needs with excellent value IMO.

Like the first pick...

I figure the way the Dolphins are going at this point, they'll probably play themselves out of the Aaron Curry/Greg Hardy sweepstakes. Again, things can always change on Draft Day. I mean, who expected Phillip Merling to fall to us at #32? Anyways, Sintim is a good fit for this scheme and can make some noise!

love the second pick....

Renaldo Hill sucks. So, a safety upgrade was a MUST. I thought that Rashad Johnson fit the bill nicely.

third pick I would consider Antoine Caldwell over Luigs if both were available...just to remain with your position..

I like Caldwell, but I think that David Lee is going to make a strong push for his boy from Arkansas. Plus, Luigs experience in the Wildcat gives him a little bit of an edge over Caldwell.

Like the 4th pick....If Hakeem Nicks were available...I would consider him.

Nicks is a good one! Definately wouldn't mind him if Byrd was off the boards.

Good spot for Bates in the draft...although at 5-10...I'd like a little taller corner..

I wouldn't mind a taller CB myself, but Bates can fly. I think his speed makes up for his lack of height.

I'm generally against drafting FB's at all...I prefer to see them acquired via free agency...unless there's a player like Peyton Hillis, for example, available...one that's the total package (running, receiving, blocking) but is also a special teams demon.

I see what you're saying, but if that's the same logic that Miami used in regards to Hillis, then they'll probably miss out on the FB of their choice again this year. I look at Collins and I like what I see. He's an effective blocker, plays on Special Teams, and unlike what was advertised with Mauia he actually has good hands. I would like to have some stability at FB for a change aside from the revolving door we've had this season.

Appleby has the size, etc. that Parcells likes in his LB's...nice pick.

I'm surprised that Appleby hasn't gotten a lot of press around here, considering his size and who he plays for.

Nice draft....addressed most of the needs with excellent value IMO.

Thanks!

I figure the way the Dolphins are going at this point, they'll probably play themselves out of the Aaron Curry/Greg Hardy sweepstakes. Again, things can always change on Draft Day. I mean, who expected Phillip Merling to fall to us at #32? Anyways, Sintim is a good fit for this scheme and can make some noise!

Renaldo Hill sucks. So, a safety upgrade was a MUST. I thought that Rashad Johnson fit the bill nicely.

I like Caldwell, but I think that David Lee is going to make a strong push for his boy from Arkansas. Plus, Luigs experience in the Wildcat gives him a little bit of an edge over Caldwell.

Nicks is a good one! Definately wouldn't mind him if Byrd was off the boards.

I wouldn't mind a taller CB myself, but Bates can fly. I think his speed makes up for his lack of height.

I see what you're saying, but if that's the same logic that Miami used in regards to Hillis, then they'll probably miss out on the FB of their choice again this year. I look at Collins and I like what I see. He's an effective blocker, plays on Special Teams, and unlike what was advertised with Mauia he actually has good hands. I would like to have some stability at FB for a change aside from the revolving door we've had this season.

I'm surprised that Appleby hasn't gotten a lot of press around here, considering his size and who he plays for.

Thanks!

It certainly looks like Miami will be picking in the latter half of the 1st round barring some sort of collapse..

I think Rashad Johnson is one of the most underrated players in the draft....I think he's better than the more hyped Mays and William Moore. If Johnson was 6-1, 205....he'd be considered in the 1st round IMO. I'd like to see Miami target this guy in the 2nd round...because as you say...Renaldo Hill "sucks"...

While I understand the Luigs / David Lee connection....and I like Luigs....he's having a down year...even to the point of "struggling". I think Caldwell is an ascending prospect that is one of the keys to Bama's offensive line being one of the best in the country...making the calls, etc....driving run blocker....I think his stock will soar as draft day approaches.

I can't understand why we didn't draft Hillis in the first place instead of Lex Hilliard or Lionel Dalton...he was available. Hillis lead the Razorbacks in receptions from his fullback position (with 44 rec's)...also played WR, TE, RB and was a demon on special teams. Ran a 4.55 at the combine and when he blocked, he "stuck" to them...paved the way for DMC and Felix Jones.

The immediate problem that stands out to me with this mock draft is the complete lack of double-barreling the positions. These guys are pretty notorious for addressing need positions with multiple picks in order to at least be as sure as you can that you've gotten something done at the position, and also because the competition between the two youngsters fosters improvement.

So, IMO, we're not just going to see only one WR taken, or only one CB, etc...with the exception of maybe whatever we do in the mid-first round (but even so that's a maybe). They didn't double-barrel Jake Long because he was a #1 overall and that was supposed to be a sure thing, no need to cover your bases with him. But anything after that...I think you start to see two picks at the same position (e.g. Phil Merling and Kendall Langford, Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas, Jalen Parmele and Lex Hilliard, Chad Henne was clearly paired to compete with John Beck).

i dont think its a issue of doubling up, i think its an issue of picking best available player(within reason), which is how you become successful in the draft.

They probably had Langford on their radar the whole draft, but they picked Merling because he fell into their laps. Donald Thomas the same thing. theres only a few positions that you can look at in most organizations and say, they are set for years at. so best available regardless of position(outside those few) should be the pick in every case.

Back
Top Bottom