11-5 and miss playoffs maybe?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by morrism35, Oct 18, 2010.

1. morrism35

morrism35 Rookie

Looking at the powerhouses of the afc a 11-5 record may not be enough. Cant see the jets, steelers, pats or ravens doing worst than 11-5. Whats crazy is a 9-7 or 8-8 afc west champ or afc south champ may make it instead of us or any of the above mentioned teams. How many of you would call this season a failure if we went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

2. Dolphin_Daz

Dolphin_Daz Dolfan in England

I think Jets win the divison at 10-6 or 11-5. Then its all about a Wild Card. The thing I love is we play all the teams that will be in the hunt for a Wild Card so can control our own destiny sort of thing. Take care of most of them and 11-5, maybe 10-6 will be enough. :)

3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think 11-5 is quite optimistic given what i've seen from this team the last 3 games...quite optimistic...we barely escaped a team ravaged with injuries yesterday...i mean barely

this teams missing something...

and those 2 AT HOME in division losses to the guys we're chasing are huge...really are

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

we win this week at home and maybe i'll get back on the bandwagon...although i'm not too sure how we're gonna win this week...pittsburgh is not ****ing around

and we don't play with the same focus of late at home as on the road...

5. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller Scout Team

Are you stating that you are "Bandwagon" Fan?

6. SnakeoilSeller

It is too early to be thinking about wild cards. We are 3-2, the other teams mentioned have at least 1 loss and we play all of them still. I'm not worried about going 11-5 and missing the playoffs, I'm thinking of running the table and having home field advantage, I guess that's cause I never got off the bandwagon

7. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Im still keeping hope that we will win @ Jets and @ Rats... I mean if we go 2-4 in the division, we better win every other one of our games and go 12-4 or we wont be playing in any postseason games

8. dolfandave99

dolfandave99 Rookie

My sentiments exactly.

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

nah...i'm just a realist

i'm not on the this team will make the playoffs kick this year from what i'm seeing...and i'm hard pressed to see why barring some things getting a whole lot better anyone else is right now...

to each his own though

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think that thinking we will win both road games at the pats and at the jets is too much for me to take...they both came in our building and kicked our ***...

and we aren't playing very good football right now...some things are gonna have to change before i even consider winning both those games on the road...and an influx of talent would be nice before the deadline

11. Ilovemyfins4eva

Ilovemyfins4eva A True Fan Donator

11-5 is very possible for this team. i dont get the negativity. the way everyone says how bad we r on here, u would think we r a bottom tier team. well if that is ur mindset, then u guys should be thrilled with the win vs gb in gb. do u think if a team like the bills, browns, lions, etc went into gb and won by 3 and won in ot they would be moaning about it and talking about how they should have won by more and this and this, etc, or they would be ecstatic?

im not saying we r those teams, but lots of people on here talk like we are, so those people who talk like that should be ecstatic about the win instead of talking down the team everytime they do something good.

we are a good football team, we have went into 2 of the toughest places to play in the nfl and won both times so far. say wat u want about injuries or wtrvr, but no other teams have won their yet .

if we beat pitt this week, i see us going 11-5 , 12-4 and i don't care if ppl say i am not a realist. wat i am is optimistic and i think this team aside from one half vs the pats, has played real solid football.

12. dolpns13

Lions lost by only 2 points to a fully healthy GB team. Not sure why people on this board still consider the Lions a bottom teir team. They have alot of talent and are turning the corner faster than people give them credit for. Are they 1-5 , yes, but the toughest 1-5 team out there and are just a couple plays from being 4-2. We will have our hands full with them

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

we will have our hands full with a lot of teams on our schedule still...believe that

i'm not saying this team can't make the playoffs...i'm just saying some things are gonna have to make some big improvements over the next 11 games for it to happen

14. SnakeoilSeller

It's ok to be a realist, but this is also the NFL and it seems like this year is even more unpredictable than usual. If someone would have told me 6 weeks ago that the Fins would be 3-2, I would not think that we would have beaten both Minnesota and green Bay on the road (I would have said Buffalo however) Before the season started everyone had Dallas playing a Super Bowl at home, now Wade Phillips might not make it through October. After week 1, everyone was talking about the Jets imploading, everything changes week to week. The Fins took a big step forward this week after 2 big losses, that is what a good team does, especially after a bye week. I like our chances to be a playoff team, once we get in, who knows???

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

so i guess you like the chances for 3 playoff teams from the afc east also...division winner and both wildcards...

we'll see...but we've put ourselves with those 2 divisional home losses in an uphill climb...

16. Krie30511

Krie30511 Seasoned Veteran

I remember looking at the teams schedule last year and saying "Yes, we control our own destiny, all we have to do is pull out 3 of these next 4 easy wins" and what happened? We tanked it... This team is not ready for the playoffs and not going to be ready for a while with the mentality of "play to not lose". I really can't enjoy this last win because we showed that the Steelers will have their way with us like Rothlesburger had his way with that 16 year old girl.... Stop looking ahead to the end of the season... 10-6 is a pipe dream... we'll be lucky if we get to 8-8... look at the rest of our schedule....

Steelers -Tough team
    @Bengals -Not easy at there place
    @Ravens -Top 1 or 2 D in league
    Titans -A lot weapons 3-2 right now
    Chicago -Tough team 4-2 right now
    @Raiders -Always a tough team to play in Oakland
    Browns -Playing tough teams this year and not getting blown out
    @Jets -Dont really need to say much here
    Bills -Lets hope this is a W
    Detroit -Getting stronger and stronger every week not should have a better record right now
    @Patriots -Always a tough game

17. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

There's 10-11 games to be played, it's too early to start thinking playoffs. Alot can change btw now and 5-6 weeks from now.

18. Krie30511

Krie30511 Seasoned Veteran

As much as I hate to say this... Couldn't agree more with junc..

19. dolpns13

this is so true.. remember in 2008 - the bills started 5-1, then lost 4 straight, then won one, then lost three staright - and finished 7-9.. That gives me some hope that you guys will someway, somehow, screw up :D

20. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

We aren't the Bills.

21. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Honestly, i believe its going to come down to tie-breakers and conferance records this year instead of overall wins. Think multiple teams will own very similar records and some will get in while others "just" miss.

Right now you can pretty much lock Indy winning their division, and either Baltimore or Pittsburgh winning theirs(with the loser locking up a wildcard slot). You could call those 3 teams the "first tier", if you will. After that it gets hazier.
    While i believe we still have a very good chance of winning the division, for sake of the argument ill New York will grab the east(which im not sold on at all), with Kansas City grabbing the west. I'd look as those teams as a second tier, meaning they can get hold of the titles...but it wouldnt be surprising if they got knocked out.
    After that you have teams that can either knock out the leaders without surprise, slip into wildcard, or completely fall apart. I'd put Miami in that catagory, with Tennessee, Cincinnati, Houston, and San Diego.

Being realistic, it will be a major upset if we beat Pitt or Balt. But the games we absolutely have to take care of are teams such as the Patriots, Bengals, and Titans. Tough and grinding, but hardly impossible. If we can win the head to head match up's with those teams in our "tier", and take care of the games we realistically should have no problem with(Oakland, Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo, and Detriot), then we can lock up a wildcard berth with a 10-6 record. Just up to us to take care of business and winning games we should.

22. miami234ever

miami234ever DenverCheesesteak

I think it's really early to tell, as some teams start off hot and cool down, while other teams (usually Miami) start slow or average and then take off afterwards. I think 10 wins gets the wild card and 11 wins gets the division, although it really will be a 3 team race throughout the season for the AFC east. Lots of competition in the NFL (AFC) this year and many teams will be competing for the WC spot.

23. morrism35

morrism35 Rookie

I cant see pitt, ne, jets, or ravens losing 4 more games barring major injuries. Those teams are too good and too well coached. Which gives us a slim margin for error. Could easily see a scenerio with pitt and jets div champs and ne and ravens at 11-5 or 12-4. Which would make us have to go 11-5 or 12-4 and have tie breakers against said teams. And guys were fans we can look ahead. Let the players take each game one at a time. The teams fate isn't decided by our looking into our playoff crystal ball.

24. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

We'll have a much better idea if we are ready to be contending for the playofff this coming weekend. If we can pull out a victory against the red-hot Steelers at home, then I'd be buying the possible playoff hype. If we get beat with the prospects of still playing the Pats and Jets at their place . . . . . Tall order.

25. Ilovemyfins4eva

ur the jets:lol::lol:

26. Ilovemyfins4eva

]

steelers- agree will be a tough game, we do have a chance
    bengals- ur right that no road game is ever easy, but if we lose to the bengals i will be furious, they rlly arent good at all and palmer blows now.
    ravens-playing in their place will be tough, out of the next 3, i think this will be the toughest bc its a road game and they have lots of weapons on offense and reed will be back
    titans- we should win at home, i dont care about wat their record or stats say, ive watched them play plenty, they dont scare me
    chicago- they ****in blow, ignore the 4-2, be smart and dont be fooled i promise
    oak- oakland has looked a tad better but we will be coming off 10 days rest. also, oakland hasnt really played anyone good yet. the best team record was they played was tenn and got blown out, and they did beat san diego in oakland, but san diego is also 2-4 with losses to seattle, kc, oakland, and stl. not the elite teams of the nfl
    vs cle- if we lose, this place will shutdown
    at nyj- will be a tough game, but when we play the jets, games are always so close. one mistake can be the difference in a win or loss here
    vs buff- no reason we should lose, but i did read a stat, whether it means something or not, that in the last 9 games following jet games, fins r 0-9
    vs det- no pushover anymore, but we r home, we will need the game, no excuse to lose
    at ne- will be tough, but who knows if new england needs the game or not?

27. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Good grief. People really believe we have a chance to win 11 games.

[​IMG]

28. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

The packers win was huge for us, if we can somehow get to 5-3 by midseason we are well on our way to 11-5

29. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

11-5 gets us to playoffs hands down. no question. no stopping us.

30. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

We currently have 3 wins. Personally, as i mentioned above, i believe 10 wins are good enough to enter the playoffs due to the parity around the league this season, but ill play along with 11 wins.
    Coming up, not only do we play some of the worst teams in the NFL(Oakland, Detroit, Buffalo, Chicago, and Cleveland) but we play them while they could be using back up or rookie quarterbacks. Not only that, but we play 4 of the 5 at home. The one team we are not playing at home? Oakland. Im not to concerned about snow playing a factor. Chicago is the only team that could be called good(though i would argue that), and we match up excellently against them. While any of those teams could certainly pull off an upset, lets go ahead and say "we feel confident winning those games". Thats 8 wins right there.

Outside of Pittsburgh and Baltimore, we have: Cincinnati, Tennessee, New England, and New York. You "really" believe we have no shot against any of those 4 teams? All of them have weaknesses, some of them glaring. And, barring injury, we will be the healthiest weve been all year by the Titans game(at the latest). We only would need 3 to get the 11 win total.

31. Ilovemyfins4eva

bingo, u hit it right on the head.

i remember a week ago or so, i made a thread as to why its realstically attainable to reach 11 wins and a wildcard.

i was going game by game and i wrote for the bears game how i think they r not good and how they have no offense whatsoever. 2 people responded to me , mocking me saying how they stopped reading when i said that, basically calling me an idiot for that. apparently, im not the only one who sees chicago ****in blows big time and has no offense.

as for 11 wins, this is wat i said in my thread also. ur dead on. it really isn't going to be that difficult. we r a good team and i don't really fear anyone.

32. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

What you fellas looking at the Jets Schedule or New England Or Baltimore's, I'm pretty sure that the jests and cheatriots have to play the same opponent we do, and what is scary about B-more? and is the jests are really the cream of the crop. Let's discount the AFC west, miami could get in as 9-7, it will be tough for us to win the division but they can work on that wildcard.

33. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

EXACTLY!!! The rest of these games are just setting us up for the rematch. At this point we can play to a point where we win those two games and get back in the race or we can play ourselves out of any chance at the post season. But make no mistake we have to win both of those road games at NY and NE to have any chance this year at the division.
    We need to sweep the steelers and ravens to have a shot at the wildcard. I really don't think it is possible to overcome the hole we put ourselves in by losing two home divisional games but we will have to start winning vs the good teams or it won't matter. You have to beat the best to be the best. Right now we haven't and aren't.

34. Ilovemyfins4eva

The next 4 games we play will potentially count as 2 wins or 2 losses depending on the outcome, as all the next 4 teams we play maybe in contention for a wild card later down the road possibly.

35. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

B-more, Tennesse, Pittsburgh, beat those 3 = Playoffs

36. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

If we want to have any kind of chance these games are must-wins:

a) Jets and Patriots, in order to tie the head-to-head
    b) so-called 'inferior' teams because playoff-teams beat those: @Raiders, Browns, Bills, Lions

You noticed? These are the last six games on our schedule which are all must-wins. If we lose one of those games we don't even deserve to be in the playoffs, IMHO.

This leaves us with the next five games which will decide where we're going: Steelers, @Bengals, @Ravens, Titans, Bears.
    Three home games. Take care of the home games and we have 12 wins. So, if we're going 3-2 the next five games, I'm fine with where we are because like I said: if we lose one of the last six games, we are not a contender anyway.

Do I believe we are able to pull this one off? I have no freakin idea but I certainly hope so. That's why I'm watching on Sundays....

37. Ilovemyfins4eva

**** ya we are able to pull this off. **** 3-2 in the next 5 games, how bout 5 and ****in 0.:hump::up:

38. rainmaker1313

rainmaker1313 A True Fan Donator

Do you realize we talk about this every year????
    Lets go 11-5 and see where we sit. I will take 11-5 Now and take my chances!