#19 is a terrible spot for us for a tackle | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#19 is a terrible spot for us for a tackle

jetsh8r

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We have the same OL needs of a team that usually picks in the top 3. I see us taking a guard in the first round and not getting a tackle that is worth a crap at all. we really need to prepare ourselves for this scenario because the value at our pick will be a guard, wr or DT. That will lead us to the second round where the good tackles will be long gone and us looking at a starting RB or S. Are you prepared as fans to see us skip drafting a starting caliber tackle completely in the draft? This brings us to free agency and I think we have to go after a top tackle so we are not reaching on draft day.

Lets wait and see what we do in free agency. If we address LT in free agency then the only tackle we'll need to draft will be a RT and that can be drafted after the 1st round.

After reviewing some games of Zack Martin I think he may be our guy and I think he can play LT and if not he can move inside to LG. The fact that he has less than ideal arm length will probably drop him somewhere around where we pick. 32.25" arm length is comparable to Robert Gallery (also 32.25") and Chris Williams (32.75"). Gallery was pretty much considered a bust until they moved him inside to LG. Chris Williams' career has been filled with a lot of injuries.

I agree. At 19 you get a guy who may just as easily be a 2nd round pick. I'd rather take a top player at a different position.

I would welcome Zack Martin at that pick, even as a left tackle but I think he will go in the 10-12 range.

If there aren't any good LT's at 19 then you don't try to force it. Plenty of other positions of need. There are very good LTs later in the draft (David Yankey of Stanford, Joel Bitonio of Nevada and Dakota Dozier of Furman) who, like Martin, can be worked out at either guard or tackle. There are plug and play guards like Su'a Filo, right tackles in the second or third rounds like JaWuan James of Tenn who would instantly contend to start.

We don't need to panic. Joe Philbin built an excellent line in GB from mostly outside the top two rounds (or rather GB front office did). Let the draft come to you.

We need a better safety. Pryor is a great pick at 19. SU'A Filo is a consideration. We're in dire need of a good LB. Mosley is a contender. David, Keuchly and Alonso have shown LB is a position a rookie can make a big impact at. More impact Day one than maybe a developmental tackle.

Im not a fan of RBs in round one, but they can also make a big impact.

Finally, there are some potential elite players we can pick up at 19, regardless of "need". Truth is, what we "need" most are a few elite players, whatever position they play.

I don't mind the 19 spot other than it translates to 50ish range in the second round, and typically the big drop off starts near 40.

I'm not sure Jeff Ireland had any clue about that last year. We would have been much better off if we gave Oakland our lower second round pick to move up for Jordan, and then sweetened the pot with multiple lower picks, which Ireland wasted anyway.

I don't mind the 19 spot other than it translates to 50ish range in the second round, and typically the big drop off starts near 40.

I'm not sure Jeff Ireland had any clue about that last year. We would have been much better off if we gave Oakland our lower second round pick to move up for Jordan, and then sweetened the pot with multiple lower picks, which Ireland wasted anyway.

It's hard to argue that the Raiders got the better end of that deal when you look at what it typically costs to move that far into the first round.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

If there aren't any good LT's at 19 then you don't try to force it. Plenty of other positions of need. There are very good LTs later in the draft (David Yankey of Stanford, Joel Bitonio of Nevada and Dakota Dozier of Furman) who, like Martin, can be worked out at either guard or tackle. There are plug and play guards like Su'a Filo, right tackles in the second or third rounds like JaWuan James of Tenn who would instantly contend to start.

We don't need to panic. Joe Philbin built an excellent line in GB from mostly outside the top two rounds (or rather GB front office did). Let the draft come to you.

We need a better safety. Pryor is a great pick at 19. SU'A Filo is a consideration. We're in dire need of a good LB. Mosley is a contender. David, Keuchly and Alonso have shown LB is a position a rookie can make a big impact at. More impact Day one than maybe a developmental tackle.

Im not a fan of RBs in round one, but they can also make a big impact.

Finally, there are some potential elite players we can pick up at 19, regardless of "need". Truth is, what we "need" most are a few elite players, whatever position they play.

Love SU'A Filo. If he is there for us in rd 2 then he has to be the pick. Instant starter and makes us a lot better.

I think that just ups the ante on finding at least a temporary starter at LT in FA. Honestly, if we do I wouldn't mind if we went with a true guard at 19, like Cyril Richardson or Yankee, if one of the top 4 LT's don't fall in our laps, and then we can address a LT of the future a little later. Maybe Antonio Richardson falls to our 2nd, or we nab Turner with the intent of sitting him for a year to polish his game. One of those in the 2nd probably puts us in the same situation as getting Koundjio in the first, as they all have the physical skills but need some refinement.

I know this is crazy talk but some teams have actually found serviceable linemen outside of the top 20 picks. We just need a decent line...which would be a huge improvement at this point. I am thinking BPA that fits our scheme at 19, whether a lineman, S, or playmaker @ TE or WR. If the player doesn't fit, don't pick that ****!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I know this is crazy talk but some teams have actually found serviceable linemen outside of the top 20 picks. We just need a decent line...which would be a huge improvement at this point. I am thinking BPA that fits our scheme at 19, whether a lineman, S, or playmaker @ TE or WR. If the player doesn't fit, don't pick that ****!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I endorse taking a lineman at 19 if there is a lineman worth taking at 19. If not, BPA come on down.

I've been saying something to the same effect all along. We are mocked to take something like the 4th or 5th tackle on the board and that's not worth it when you can get another position who has a higher probability of hitting. Some people are suggesting we take 3-4 offensive line man and that is idiotic. Philbin and Hickey appear to have 2 years to turn it around and that doesn't translate to project linemen. Like mentioned before get a RB and WR in the first three picks because those will be the best value picks and have a better chance of impacting IMO. All this means we will have to work hard in free agency to shore up the line but that is doable.

I don't think so. Taylor Lewan could fall there and he's very solid. I think Antonio Richardson is a better player than he is being mocked and could be there at 19. Both are probably better suited for RT, but either would be a huge upgrade over what Miami has had at LT.

Lewan, Martin and Richardson. Get one of those @19 and i'm happy.

I still like Cyril. Huge guard that can pull nicely.

Taylor Lewan (Michigan) will be there at 19. They can snatch Carols Hyde in the 2nd Round.

Back
Top Bottom