1972 Miami Dolphins On NFL Network

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Geforce, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Tonight at 8pm EST, NFL Network is showing More Than Perfect: The 1972 Miami Dolphins and at 1am EST they are showing America's Game featuring the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

NFL Network will repeat these shows on Thursday with More Than Perfect airing at 3pm and America's Game airing at 4pm.

2. Czonka39

Czonka39 A True Fan Donator

Thanks for the heads up. Though only 8 when the game happened I remember most of it. I remember getting trounced by the Cowboys in 71 and my brother, 10 back then, had his Cowboys PJs on while I had my Dolphins gear on... Then getting revenge on the Cowgirls during the 72 season and onto our first of two Lombardi Trophies.

Go Irish!!

3. SeasonsMusic

SeasonsMusic Pianist

More Than Perfect on NFLN Right now!

All about 1972 Dolphins put on NFLN Now!!!

4. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Thanks, watching it now

5. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Yup, watching it

6. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

Thank for the heads up.

7. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

Who would of thought the Jets were part responsible for getting Shula to coach in Miami....

After The Jets beat the Colts in superbowl III Shula's relationship was damaged with the Colts owner at the same time Miami was looking for a coach.

8. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Re: More Than Perfect on NFLN Right now!

really enjoying this

9. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

I tuned in.

Couldn't watch it.

Too much Orange Bowl. Too much heartbreak. Began tearing up.

FML

:( :(

10. uk_dolfan

people make an atmosphere not bricks.

11. The Stache99

The Stache99 Well-Known Member Donator

Man I wish I was alive during this run

12. jared81

jared81 A True Fan

Question: why were we playing away at Pittsburgh if we were undefeated during the regular season? Shouldn't we have had home field?

13. Wannstedt Sux

Wannstedt Sux Fireland

I've always wondered why this was. Nick Buonticonti didn't even know why. Does anyone on this board have an answer to this?

14. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

Rotation system, in that year the central division champion was awarded home field advantage.

15. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Back then records didn't matter. Conference title games were rotated among the divisions in each conference.

16. SeasonsMusic

SeasonsMusic Pianist

Man that was great to see. I hope Miami can get back to that again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

17. Kane337

Kane337 Well-Known Member

Although I was too young to know football then I always love watching any clip or documentary referencing the 1972 Dolphins. I didn't get into football until the late 70's. As a birthday gift my dad got me a Nat Moore #89 helmet. I still have it to this day.

Just how amazing was the 1972 team? They lost their starting QB for most of the season, went undefeated, and had to play on the road in the AFC Championship game. Haters gonna hate but that is the best team ever.

18. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I saw only the final 25 minutes. Can't comment fully but some aspects jumped out at me:

* For the good, Rick Weaver's prominent role was justified. He's easily the most significant broadcaster in Dolphins history. In those days before ESPN, or any type of cable, you tuned to Rick Weaver on WIOD for all the relevant info, particularly on game day. On Sunday mornings there was no such thing as lengthy NFL coverage on TV. Pre game shows began a half hour before kickoff. Otherwise it was an hour long Notre Dame highlight show, followed by Bill Fleming and an hour of general college highlights, of games that weren't televised a day earlier. That was an incredibly interesting and valuable show but I'm sure the younger fans would be stunned at where it slotted, leading toward the NFL games. I would watch the college highlight shows with WIOD Dolphin pregame going on simultaneously. Heck, you had no idea what the weather would be like at the opposing venue until Rick Weaver came on the air and filled you in.

* For the bad, it appears they wildly overplayed the racial aspect and the Hispanic aspect. That wasn't Miami in 1972 and I have an excellent memory. Racial tensions hadn't fully disappeared, obviously, but this was hardly the deep South and it was 1972 not 1962. I don't remember any types of tension, whether it was at the games or in school or at stores. Likewise, the Hispanic theme makes more sense 5 years later. That's when I remember the noticeable uptick, with more Spanish stores and papers and television stations, and Spanish culture in general. For verification of my memory, I just looked it up and El Nuevo Herald began in 1977. That makes perfect sense. There was no call or no need for that paper as early as 1972. I think the writers and producers of this program were determined to develop a theme toward modern and recent Miami, and they took great liberties along the way. Sure, you can find Hispanic celebrities and fans who were around at that time but overall it was a white dominated city with northern crossover. If anything, as a school age kid in 1972 I was struck by the Jewish influence in Miami. Prominent businessmen all over the place. The honors classes in my schools were dominated by smart Jewish kids. I was always jealous that they got so many days off. Our numbers in those classes would really plummet on those Jewish holidays. There was no need to spotlight that aspect on a program 40 years later, and they might have taken some heat for it, but to my memory that was South Florida in 1972. I'll have to see the first 35 minutes of the program to see how they fully handled the cultural aspects.

* The program was correct to identify the second Jets game as the point we started thinking of unbeaten. And the Giants game as the scary roadblock.

* It was disgusting to show only one play from the incredibly tense playoff game against Cleveland. The Orange Bowl crowd was silent and scared that afternoon, beyond any point during the early '70s. To leave out the long Morrall to Warfield pass in the fourth quarter was beyond belief. That play set up the winning touchdown and was more vital to saving the perfect season than the Larry Seiple play a week later, yet one is shown and mentioned a thousand times more frequently than the other. We were impotent on offense until that play, and Griese wasn't ready to come in and save us.

* I appreciated the scenes of Dolphin fans at home in Miami during the Super Bowl win over the Redskins. That's just how it looked at our house. Likewise the hankie waving and horn blaring celebrations in the streets after the game. Everybody had pennants. Many people had bedsheets, holding them curbside and encouraging everyone to honk. I've mentioned many times that my family and I attended the celebration at Miami International Airport, greeting the plane while I pulled mom's hand closer and closer to the platform. Eventually we got so close that Joe Robbie and Don Shula looked almost exactly the same in that video tonight as my mental images from 40 years ago.

19. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Have the DVR set for 3:00 tomorrow. Can't wait to watch this.

20. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I was 11 and remember vividly. All the dads in my neighbors living room. The entire block partying after the game. You could hear horns honking blocks away.
    Good times and very fond childhood memories. I feel for you younger fans and my 18 yr old son who havent experienced that level of pride in our phins

21. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Also, the day of the game, the radio stations were playing the dolphins fight song over and over. That was 1972-73.
    It was never ripped off from the Houston Oilers in 1976 as some have contended.
    The Oilers ripped it off and never went to a Super Bowl.

22. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

One thing I pray I get to do in my lifetime is attend a parade in Miami for a Super Bowl championship. I wouldn't miss it for anything. I don't care if I have to fly in and out on the same day- if we ever win a Super Bowl again, I'll be at that parade. I hope I get that chance one day. Being 33, I haven't seen anything remotely close to a Super Bowl (I was only 5 the last time we were there, so I have no memory of it).

23. OhioFinatic

OhioFinatic Rookie

Interestingly, I ran across this last night in the middle of reading the new "Undefeated" book. It was awesome to have more visuals to go with what I'm reading considering I was -2 at that moment. I recommend the book for far more detail, and explaining the cultural and racial leanings of the show more closely, especially among the league and players themselves, might help explain why the showmakers went that route. I love everything about this group. 17-0. 32-2. Amazing.

24. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Ok so I just got home from Boston to find out my stupid ****ing DVR only recorded the first 40 minutes, leaving off the last 20. (I set the DVR from my phone since I wasn't home). Needless to say, I'm pissed. And OF COURSE NFL Network doesn't have any future airings scheduled, as they're too busy showing rerun after rerun of NFL AM, Fantasy Live, and NFL Total Access pretty much everyday. Does anyone know if or when this would be released on DVD? Knowing this tone deaf organization who wouldn't know a money-maker if it slapped them in the face, it'll be released just in time for the 50th anniversary of '72. But I was hoping someone could provide some info.

25. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

I'll also ask if anyone knows if I can find this online anywhere?

26. loed

loed phindoc Finheaven VIP

I don't post much but read all the time. I wanted to chime in on this thread. I was 10 and growing up in Miami during the perfect season. I started watching the Dolphins as a boy the year before when they lost to Dallas in the Superbowl. My Dad was a big fan (still is at 88 yrs old) and we started watching the Dolphins together during this time. These memories are so much with me to this day. I remember wearing Csonka, Kiick, Warfield, Griese, and Mercury Morris jerseys most days. I remember my Dad putting up a 100 foot antenna in our yard so we could get the broadcasts from Fort Myers when they were blacked out in Miami (certainly no cable or satellite at that time). I remember being so nervous during games that I had to leave the house. We literally lived and died with the Dolphins during this time. The Superbowl wins were such an unbelievable experience for a kid living in Miami it is really hard to describe. Since that time, I have probably watched most every game possible, subscribe to Direct TV just for Sunday Ticket as I no longer live in Florida, read the Finheaven message boards, read the Herald and SunSentinel just for Dolphin news, and at 50 yrs old still jump up and down when the Dolphins score. And the funny thing is, I am a physician that deals with life and death everyday, but I still get fired up about anything that has to do with the Dolphins. Those players from the perfect season time have had a major impact in my life. It is the link to my childhood, my family and growing up in South Florida. I will certainly die a Dolfan, all because of a miraculous season or two in the early 70s.

27. uk_dolfan

Fantastic post mate

28. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

it was heroic! a cloud 9 event. 2 separate hours of "perfect season" love from NFLN! heaven… just heaven!

by the way, how the hell Manny Fernandez isn't in HOF boggles my egg…??!

29. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

That was a great post. I recognize plenty of it within my family. My dad didn't buy a 100 foot antenna but he tried a 40 foot one that could be electronically rotated from inside the house. That was my job because I'm patient. We could pick up Ft. Meyers only vaguely in perfect weather, but it came in great when it rained. Before we got season tickets beginning in 1972 we literally rooted for rain during blacked out home games we weren't going to attend. In 1970 we attended roughly half the home games then most of them in 1971.

But he couldn't get tickets for the AFC Championship Game in 1971. Instead, we drove to Naples and got a hotel room for the day. We watched 49ers/Cowboys in the NFC Title game first, then we went nuts as the Dolphins shut out the Colts, 21-0.

That drive back on Alligator Alley was jubilant but scary. You had nuts on the road and it was hardly the double lane separation of today. My dad was extremely careful. Then once we got back to Miami the streets were still jammed and rowdy, with horns and hankies and pennants and bedsheets everywhere. It was a preview of a year later after the Redskins game.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  30. LennyV

LennyV Rookie

Great to hear these stories from folks who were from the area during the time. Not sure how I became a Fins fan growing up in the middle of Maine. I do recall having a Miami Dolphins, winter jacket, hat and mittens in 3rd grade (roughly 73)!

31. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Yeah I love hearing these stories too, seeing as I wasn't around back then. It's great to hear everyone's experiences.

32. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I finally got a chance to watch the entire program. Some observations:

* The female who is seen interviewing Don Shula several times is Jane Chastain. She was a big deal in Miami at the time. Young smart attractive spunky sportscaster for CBS Channel 4 WTVJ. Bob Holloran was the local bigshot on that station but Chastain was thought to have the national potential. Some accounts claimed she was the first woman sportscaster in the nation. Sure enough, within a year or two the network tried to use Chastain on big events but for some reason she was never as natural or effective during live telecasts as during canned pieces or while anchoring local sportscasts. Then she disappeared relatively quickly. Now she's a conservative political author and blogger.

* The show did a good job spotlighting the game at Minnesota, with Csonka describing it as the most physical game of his career. Of all games that season, that one felt like an escape, one we deserved to lose. Keuchenberg in the program said it was the one game the Dolphins were not in control. I remember it well. The Vikings were energized, upon Tarkenton's return that season, and smacked us around early. Csonka was nearly broken in half on a swing pass. All day I more or less accepted a defeat then it was shocking we still had a chance. The program showed Garo's very long 50ish yard field goal that kept us in it at 14-9. Otherwise we were gone, with no 2-point conversion in those days. Younger fans need to realize how rare it was to make a field goal of that length at Metropolitan Stadium, even though it was a calm day. Every time Garo is ripped for the Super Bowl debacle the field goal at Minnesota deserves a mention. There have been 16-1 and 18-1 teams.

* The saving pass from Morrall to Warfield in the Cleveland game was shown only at the outset, and without any context. Ridiculous. They didn't even use the entire play, merely Warfield's leaping grab. It was also lame to completely ignore the second Jets game, which was incredibly intense, fending off Namath.

* Good job of using Henry Barrow in some clips. He was the sideline color commentator for WIOD radio broadcasts. I'd never heard the story before that the Dolphin trainer looked at Barrow and motioned to his ankle, indicating the type of injury Griese suffered against the Chargers.

* I'll stand by my assertion earlier in this thread that there was entirely too much focus on racial tension and Hispanic growth. That wasn't Miami in 1972. Roy Firestone often tried too hard to force themes on ESPN and that held up here. The angle deserved a mention but they absurdly overplayed it by using virtually 100% in the sample they quoted on camera, like the Hispanic hot dog vendor. Meanwhile, if you freeze frame virtually any crowd shot from the program all you see is whites.

* Rick Shaw mentioned something that I pointed out here months ago, that Miami radio stations were doing plenty of Dolphins talk no matter the supposed format. Otherwise they were lapped. It's laughable when some of these stations indicate that local sports talk began in 1986, or whatever.

* Overall, very good. I would have appreciated more use of the local sportscasts, for a sense of what the angle was during various points of the season. Odd that Roy Firestone worked for ABC Channel 10 but I'm not sure a single clip from that station was used. Perhaps they discarded them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  33. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

People don't remember either that none other than Larry King got his big break in '72 by anchoring the Dolphins postgame show on WIOD on Sunday nights.

I have often wondered if there is enough audio from Rick Weaver over the years to be able to do computer-generated simulations of his voice calling plays for modern games ("Tannehill... drops straight back to throw... he fires..." or "Holy Toledo, was he rappycacked by Cameron Wake!"). I know that technology does exist and I have wondered if it would be worthwhile for us Dolphin fans to have something like that.

A LOT of Dolphin history was destroyed by a fire that gutted NBC's facilities which wiped out the '71 Longest Game video, and also as I understand it, the '71 and '72 AFC Championships as well. I have NEVER viewed the '71 game against the Colts. Never. That is a video i would love to get ahold of.

I also would love to see more old game photos from those days. Maybe someone could get a thread together in here for posting of any materials we have... just a suggestion.

34. Czonka39

Czonka39 A True Fan Donator

Here's a 1973 vs Colts. Colts Bert Jones, QB Rookie Campaign. Colts only had 3 first downs the whole game. Dolphins won 44-0. Mercury Morris had 12 carries for over 140 yds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7CwCTSef3c

35. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Anyone hear anything about this coming out on DVD?

36. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Thanks. I hadn't heard that story about a fire at NBC.

I saved tons of newspapers from that season, the Miami Herald and Miami News. They included game photos and everything else. I also had the Miami Herald from the day after the Jets upset the Colts in Super Bowl III. And copies of Sports Illustrated after all the huge games and other landmark sporting events. Even as a kid I sensed how important those events were. But when I went away to college at USC my dear mom apparently got bored and cleaned out my closet. She threw away almost everything in my closet the first semester I was gone. I was numbed when I opened that closet, with my stack of memorabilia long gone. I could envision where everything had been, issue by issue. Mom claimed it was a fire hazard. I could never hold a grudge against mom but it never made sense to me. And it still hurts. I think I have some old game stubs from 1972 but not much else.

37. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

WOW, there's a lot of stuff on YouTube!

Game of the Week highlights from 1970-75 with the Dolphins very well represented... I had no idea people were uploading these clips!!!

Thanks Awsi

38. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Yeah, the NFL doesn't seem to mind that old Game of the Week stuff on YouTube. That was an excellent program. They'd generally pick a good game that wasn't featured nationally.

I wish I could upload more vintage stuff but my YouTube account is not in good standing anymore. The NFL has filed complaints along with the International Olympic Committee. Seemingly no rhyme or reason. Videos I've had up there for years now either have warnings attached to them, or I was forced to pull them. My upload limit was reduced to 15 minutes so I can't post full games anymore. I might have to start a backup channel just in case.