1973 Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1973 Miami Dolphins

I've seen that more than a few times. Never gets old! Always thought the '73 Dolphins were a better team than the undefeated '72 team. '72 team played no team better than 8-6 in the regular season and if I remember, the '73 team set an NFL record allowing the fewest points. Csonka went over 1,000 and Morris was close. And the complete domination of Minnesota in SB VIII is icing on the cake. Kicked their a$$. I was 7 and I remember that win like it was yesterday. Great memories!

Last edited:
Except the 72 team had to go to Pittsburg to win a playoff game.

I remember those seasons well. Although we won a lot we didn't win easily all of the time. Somehow we found a way.

Except the 72 team had to go to Pittsburg to win a playoff game.

Not saying the undefeated team wasn't great. But, most historians would agree the '73 team were the more dominant team, even tho they lost two games. SB VIII rout over a good Vikings team would bare that out, imo.

If not for a fg kicker trying to throw a pass. The 72 team would be the only team in 50 plus years to shutout a team in the Super Bowl.
Not saying the undefeated team wasn't great. But, most historians would agree the '73 team were the more dominant team, even tho they lost two games. SB VIII rout over a good Vikings team would bare that out, imo.

If not for a fg kicker trying to throw a pass. The 72 team would be the only team in 50 plus years to shutout a team in the Super Bowl.

Yep, would've been 17-0 ,but we didn't dominate Washington in that game like we did Minnesota.

And if Yepremian makes that field goal, the Dolphins win 17-0 to finish a 17-0 season.

I don't really care what fox sports says. You're record is what you're record is. If the cheats went 19-0 that is better than 17-0.

I don't really care what fox sports says. You're record is what you're record is. If the cheats went 19-0 that is better than 17-0.

It's not what Fox Sports says, it's what Warfield, Kuechenberg, Kiick, Anderson say. Plus, winning your playoff games by a 17.3 margin as opposed to 5.7 would tell me the '73 team was better.

The '73 team was certainly better in the postseason....but what is often forgotten about the '73 squad is that although Griese was healthy for the full season, he struggled much of the year, and was not the MVP quality QB he had been in 1971. The defense and running game really carried them for most of the season.

They went 19-1 for the season....We went 17-0 for the season..Big difference..How ever IMO the 73 team played better than the 72 team...73 had a much harder path to the big game.

So it's harder playing in Miami now than it is in Pittsburg.

I've seen that more than a few times. Never gets old! Always thought the '73 Dolphins were a better team than the undefeated '72 team. '72 team played no team better than 8-6 in the regular season and if I remember, the '73 team set an NFL record allowing the fewest points. Csonka went over 1,000 and Morris was close. And the complete domination of Minnesota in SB VIII is icing on the cake. Kicked their a$$. I was 7 and I remember that win like it was yesterday. Great memories!

The 72 Dolphins:

1. Scored the most points.
2. Gave up the fewest points.
3. Has the most yards on offense.
4. Gave up the fewest yards on defense.

(By the way, it's the only time in the Super Bowl era that a team has managed to lead all four of those categories. Not Lombardi's Packers. Not Jimmy's Cowboys. Not Walsh's 49ers. Once. The '72 Dolphins)

5. Had the second most takeaways.
6. Had the fifth fewest giveaways.
7. Went undefeated. Having to go on the road in the playoffs.
8. Despite having their starting quarterback gone for most of the year.

The 73 Dolphins:

1. Fifth in points scored. Scored 42 points fewer.
2. Gave up the fewest points. This is true. 21 points fewer. They might be the greatest pass defense of all time. Gave up 3.5 net YPA. If another team ever surrendered less than 4 yards per net pass attempt, I'm not aware of it.
3. Ninth in offensive yards.
4. Third in defensive yards.
5. Ranked 22nd in takeaways.
6. Had the fifth fewest giveaways. Again.
7. Didn't go undefeated.
8. Had their starting quarterback all year (Morrall started the last game of the season, which they lost).

The 72 Dolphins are the best team in NFL history.

Back
Top Bottom