1983 Dan Marino Debut vs Raiders | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1983 Dan Marino Debut vs Raiders

Just a side note, Andra Franklin and Tony Nathan would have been the perfect backfield for Marino. Imagine if they had all began their careers together in '83.

I remember both of those games - had just posted about them in the other Marino thread the other day. I can recall that Chris Keating INT like it was yesterday and thinking "ah this Marino kid isn't ready". Then he proceeded to tear the Bills to shreds and the rest is history. This is what I mean when I say he climbed the learning curve in one game. He never looked like that (first half) again. He matured so quickly - probably faster than any QB to ever play the game.

Also, Joe Cribbs was a player. Uwe Van shankman stunk. Missed two in that wild '81 playoff vs SD at the end of regulation and in OT - and was never the same. His final year as a fin was '84. Went 9-19 on FGs. Good thing we scored 70 TDs en route to the SB

Just a side note, Andra Franklin and Tony Nathan would have been the perfect backfield for Marino. Imagine if they had all began their careers together in '83.
Franklin was still a pup. He blew his knee week 1 of '84 season and that was it. He was a force his '82 season as we ground and pounded it to the SB.

I just remember Marino after that Monday night game didn't start the next week. He had another relief appearance in a loss to NO two weeks later, then he finally got the start vs Buffalo.

I could watch clips of the guy all day long. Man he made it look easy. Love the first TD in the Raider game to Rose. What touch.

I just remember getting really excited about the future of the Dolphins watching Dan Marino play in that Oakland debut. It was obvious that he was talented and that Miami had found its quarterback.

Back
Top Bottom