1st Day of the draft.....and thoughts on QB,RB, and WR. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Day of the draft.....and thoughts on QB,RB, and WR.

DolfanMan4Life

Scout Team
Reaction score
I know this might sound stupid but I can't remember how many rounds they go through on the first day, is it 3, 4? Also with Daunte sending the email to the sun sentinel about his health and rehab and saying that he is going to be ok, and his a desire to preform at a high level for years to come does this effect our potential trading or releasing of him. Also I really hate the thought of an O-Lineman at number 9 like Brown. Does anybody else think that a WR like Ginn jr., jarret, or a trade down to get meachem would be a better idea. And maybe picking up a RB with our 2nd, 2nd round pick(if Ricky doesnt come back or is traded). Just some thoughts because the draft is in two days and I really would like a skill position player to be drafted with our #9 pick that can come in and turn heads. An OL can be picked up in the later rounds.

It's 3 rounds on the first day.
Of course Daunte is going to say that, but until he can show that in a game he probably won't have much value. As much as I like Landry at nine if he's still there, you have to look at the depth there is at the safety position in this draft. We could easily pick up (sp) piscatelli or weddle in the third. To me the biggest wild card is LT, can we find a starting caliber tackle in rounds 2 - 4, if not look for Staley or Brown in round one.

I know this might sound stupid but I can't remember how many rounds they go through on the first day, is it 3, 4? Also with Daunte sending the email to the sun sentinel about his health and rehab and saying that he is going to be ok, and his a desire to preform at a high level for years to come does this effect our potential trading or releasing of him. Also I really hate the thought of an O-Lineman at number 9 like Brown. Does anybody else think that a WR like Ginn jr., jarret, or a trade down to get meachem would be a better idea. And maybe picking up a RB with our 2nd, 2nd round pick(if Ricky doesnt come back or is traded). Just some thoughts because the draft is in two days and I really would like a skill position player to be drafted with our #9 pick that can come in and turn heads. An OL can be picked up in the later rounds.

Brown or Staley would make a bigger impact on offense than most WRs IMO.

Jarrett would be a HUGE reach at #9 at this point, even Ginn's stock has been slipping lately. Meachem is ranked ahead of Jarrett most places.

We very likely will not know Ricky's status going into the draft, hence we won't be able to trade him. That said the 2nd is way to early for a backup RB with the holes we have.

Oline must be a priority. A WR or RB will be useless without a solid Oline.

Unless we can get a good deal to secure Quinn, I can see Miami trading down to gain more picks and selecting Joe Staley in the first and then one of the second tier QBs with the teams first pick in the second round.

Unless we can get a good deal to secure Quinn, I can see Miami trading down to gain more picks and selecting Joe Staley in the first and then one of the second tier QBs with the teams first pick in the second round.

:yes: Thats the ideal situation IMO.

Agreed, a solid oline can hide a lot of other problems. While i'm not in love with our receivers, if you give ronnie a good line that will take pressure off the receivers and give the quarterback more time to get them the ball. I would be happy seeing at least 2 linemen in the first three rounds. We need a LT, LG, and to me even a center. Move Hadnot back to right guard or even use him as a rotational player to keep the line fresh.

I hope the Carolina/Patrick Willis rumors are true. That would be a perfect situation. Even if we couldn't pick up fair compensation as far as the value chart, to pick up at least an extra 3rd and still get the guy we really want, that would be a great move.

Hey guys. It's good to be back chatting with all of you. Been moving around alot from Fla. to Cali. Anyways, I am not gonna go as crazy as I did trying to figure out what we should do exactly in the draft. I do know a few things that have to be addressed, however. I would be totally cool with most of the scenerios that have been laid out by analysts and of course all of my fellow Dolfans. Ideally, I really think that we should focus on the O-line first. I mean obviously if Quinn dropped to 9(which would be more than just a long shot) you gotta take him, but in all reality, I do not think that some of the second tier guys are that much of a talent drop off from Quinn. They may not be as "pro ready", but let's be honest in saying that Quinn really will not make a huge impact for any team right away anyway. I think Russel has a better chance at that. I was impressed with Lienart and Young last year, but I do not compare Quinn to Lienart. I would be satisfied with taking the best O-lineman on the board at #9 and then taking a second tier QB and another O-lineman in the second round. From there, we could use another wide reciever in the third or possibly another D-back. Anyway...these are my main concerns. I think Trent Green would be a nice fit for now, and would be worth getting into camp ASAP. I am totally against getting rid of Marty Booker, however. We should not be thinking of dropping him at all right now. I was for getting rid of Mare, but not Booker.

I think Trent Green would be a nice fit for now, and would be worth getting into camp ASAP.

To build chemistry with the WRs maybe but he knows the system very well so that will give us some flexibility. With the Cheifs' GM playing hardball I'm fine with letting them sweat and hold out for our price.

To build chemistry with the WRs maybe but he knows the system very well so that will give us some flexibility. With the Cheifs' GM playing hardball I'm fine with letting them sweat and hold out for our price.
As I do agree with you not wanting to spend too much via trade, I would have to say yes, you are right, we have fluttered away way too much to continue that path. I think that it is foolish for them to be so tight fisted about this thing. Green has already expressed his opinions on wanting to only play for us. I think he would be a great fit right now. It just helps to have him in sooner. I am glad Harrington is gone and I doubt Culpepper will ever be what he was in "04" so that only leaves Cleo Lemon. I was impressed with him last season and think that he is capable of being a solid #2 guy. Let's just hope Green can get here soon after draft day.

i wouldn't mind taking a wr or o-line in the first, like meachum and then take ugoh, kalil or whoever, but i think in the event ricky doesn't come back i would take a rb in the later rounds, i think our main focus in the first two rounds are wr and o-line.

Back
Top Bottom