***2012 Official Miami Heat Offseason Thread*** | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***2012 Official Miami Heat Offseason Thread***

finomenal

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Now that some of the smoke has cleared, what's everyone's thoughts on the offseason? Who would you like to see join the Heat next year? I'm sure they'll be able to convince a veteran like Steve Nash or Ray Allen to come for less money.

Players will have to decide if the possibility of a championship is more important to them than a bigger contract. IMO our biggest needs are more size and a sharpshooter from beyond the arc. I think Miller retires.

I won't pretend to know a thing about the college prospects, so I gladly defer to the experts. I don't watch college basketball, but I keep hearing about Fab Melo. He seems to be the type of player Riley would love to draft and develop (7'0", 255). A young center to develop would be great for them, especially years down the road whe Lebron enters his thirties.

These are VERY exciting times for Heat fans! :woot:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No smoke has cleared.

Parade rolls down Biscayne tomorrow morning.

Still have people running around banging on pots and pans in their neighbor's yard.

HEAT BITCHES!

No smoke has cleared.

Parade rolls down Biscayne tomorrow morning.

Still have people running around banging on pots and pans in their neighbor's yard.

HEAT BITCHES!

Haha I haven't forgotten about the parade, it just feels like it's been a week since they won the championship. I'll be in full celebration mode again tomorrow, but the weekend off allowed me to speculate about the future, that's all.

Haha I haven't forgotten about the parade, it just feels like it's been a week since they won the championship. I'll be in full celebration mode again tomorrow, but the weekend off allowed me to speculate about the future, that's all.

Gotta get some bigs and we gotta get some shooters.

LeBron allowed Mike Miller to become the next John Paxson. What true shooter with a few years left in the tank wouldn't want that kind of opportunity?

I've done nothing but watch Heat championship **** since Thursday night. Beautiful viewing.

Friday's First Take was all-time classic ****. Mark Cuban came on the show and tore Skip Bayless apart. Bayless didn't know how to respond.

If you guys have a few minutes this evening before bed, look it up on YouTube.

Sucks that we lost to Dallas last season, but I've always been a big Mark Cuban fan.

LeBron allowed Mike Miller to become the next John Paxson. What true shooter with a few years left in the tank wouldn't want that kind of opportunity?

I've done nothing but watch Heat championship **** since Thursday night. Beautiful viewing.

Friday's First Take was all-time classic ****. Mark Cuban came on the show and tore Skip Bayless apart. Bayless didn't know how to respond.

Sucks that we lost to Dallas last season, but I've always been a big Mark Cuban fan.

Ehh, I heard about it. I have no desire whatsoever to listen to that ratings whore. He doesn't really believe what he says. He's a character. He even said once he'd rather have Tebow over Brady late in the 4th qtr.

I hate those stupid shows. All they do is pretend to disagree on crap and yell. That seems to be what gets ratings these days.

Ehh, I heard about it. I have no desire whatsoever to listen to that ratings whore. He doesn't really believe what he says. He's a character. He even said once he'd rather have Tebow over Brady late in the 4th qtr.

I hate those stupid shows. All they do is pretend to disagree on crap and yell. That seems to be what gets ratings these days.

Espn first take is garbage, i tryed watch that show a few times and everytime it ends with me turning that crap off in 10 minutes. Even stephen a smith, saying the heat were done after boston took the 3-2 lead on us, its all bullcrap man. They support us when were up but when we are losing they trash us and say we are done and we are a disgrace blah blah. F them, we dont need there congrats or support or anything, they arent true heat fans, they are bandwagon analysts who have jumped on for this championship. Skip bayless comparing himself to howard cosell was insane, the most insane thing i have ever seen this guy say. He has a high opinion of himself obviously and thinks lebron watches his nonsense of a show.

The heat need to address the center position.

Centers : We need a big body in that paint, Haslem is a good PF to have in there but he is undersized, small ball is good at certain points in the game but at times you need to adjust and have some bigs in there to protect the paint. Westbrook had a field day on us with layups all series because we dont have a center to put in there that can get up and block those shots and also be a scorer for us in the paint.

PG: I like our PGs and dont want to change a thing. I fully expect norris cole to grow next season and eventually take over as our starting PG. Mario Chalmers is better coming off the bench in my opinion. He is not as quick as cole and quickness compliments lebron and wade on the fastbreak, at times you just see chalmers has trouble keeping with bron and wade on fast breaks cause they are too fast. It would benefit us if cole can be that starting PG for us but he has to grow in consistency in terms of shooting and be a creator for us. Chalmers is a decent creator but i just think we need a real point guard who is going to command the ball and not let wade dribble up the ball down the court and lose the ball almost giving OKC a win because of it, that could have turned the series around in okcs favor. If okc wins game 2 they are up 2-0 because of wades sloppy dribbling up the floor, then game 3 was a grind out game we almost lost, okc could have been up potential 3-0 all because we dont have a point guard. Point is, i hope cole steps up and tells spoeltra he wants to be that guy and hopefully spoeltra gives him a chance. Norris grew on me in these playoffs, i think he can get better and better in development. He can be that Starting Point the heat need to keep up with bron and wade, control the ball, and has shown he also has a 3 pt shot, not as good as chalmers but he has one also that can improve.

SG: I appreciate everything mike miller has given us and thank him for his amazing finals performance, but injuries have really caught up to his age and its hurt the heat threw out these playoffs, we should consider lettin him go or unless he retires. Yes his finals performance was amazing but lets not forget how close boston was to eliminating us from even getting to the finals. I think ray allen is a good option but i think he might be too expensive. I like james jones and hope he stays, he can be more consistent if we give him more minutes. He is the 3 pt king.

My #1 concern is a center, without a center we are putting too much on lebron and wades shoulders, look at lebron cramping up in the finals, we need someone to take the workload of d-wade and lebron because if u expect to win 6 more titles, you better becareful how much you play these dudes or there not going to last very long.

Upgrade bench

lamar odom would be nice but all reports show him going to clippers
Nash seems toronto bound though heat might have a chance.
jason terry would be good option
Camby, Camen, Dalembert i like all 3 as options
I watched Kenyon Martin a bit last year and he still has the hops
Mr Big shot Billiups coming off an injury though if he can recover fast enough..
Chicago i heard wants to trade Noah
Kris humphries would be good for us.
Oden has potential though had so many injuries in his young career
Maybe M
ichael Redd?

I like Kris Humphries a lot. That's a big body that likes to bang down low and pull down the rebounds.

Dalembert I like. Camby I like but don't think we can pull.

Michael Redd is the exact kind of "shooter" I was speaking of in my earlier post.

Oden I want no part of. Not even worth the risk IMO.

Nash I think lands in Miami. I know he's a Canada dude, but just the way I heard him perk up when the Miami was mentioned as a possible landing spot for next season really makes me think he would be ours to lose IF Riley went after him.

The only thing I don't like about pursuing a guy like Nash, Terry or Kidd is that these guys are TRUE point guards. They make offenses work. This means that they need the ball to operate and this takes the ball out of the hands of LeBron James. LeBron needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible. I think we're about to see LeBron REALLY get better and that is scary.

lamar odom would be nice but all reports show him going to clippers
Nash seems toronto bound though heat might have a chance.
jason terry would be good option
Camby, Camen, Dalembert i like all 3 as options
I watched Kenyon Martin a bit last year and he still has the hops
Mr Big shot Billiups coming off an injury though if he can recover fast enough..
Chicago i heard wants to trade Noah
Kris humphries would be good for us.
Oden has potential though had so many injuries in his young career
Maybe M
ichael Redd?

steer clear of noah and odom please. Odom is not himself anymore, mavericks released him before the season even ended he sucked so badly. His confidense is at an all time low because the lakers traded him, he has no desire anymore, not to mention the baggage of kardashian nonsense he will be bringing with him, we dont need distraction, we got championships to win.

Noah, dont you think there is a reason chicago wants to get rid of this guy? he SUCKS.

I like Kris Humphries a lot. That's a big body that likes to bang down low and pull down the rebounds.

Dalembert I like. Camby I like but don't think we can pull.

Michael Redd is the exact kind of "shooter" I was speaking of in my earlier post.

Oden I want no part of. Not even worth the risk IMO.

Nash I think lands in Miami. I know he's a Canada dude, but just the way I heard him perk up when the Miami was mentioned as a possible landing spot for next season really makes me think he would be ours to lose IF Riley went after him.

The only thing I don't like about pursuing a guy like Nash, Terry or Kidd is that these guys are TRUE point guards. They make offenses work. This means that they need the ball to operate and this takes the ball out of the hands of LeBron James. LeBron needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible. I think we're about to see LeBron REALLY get better and that is scary.

I gotta disagree with this, i think there are certain times in a game where you just let lebron isolate and do his thing when we need points. However, unless we get a true point guard to run this offense, we are going to continue to be a sloppy offensive team, look at the huge lead okc had us in game 4, why is that? our offense cant generate anything when lebron and wade are off there game and we are sloppy as hell bringing the ball up the court because we dont use a PG. Sloppy offense, we need to fix this to get even better cause i can guarantee you anything, okc is going to get better and they will get back to the finals and give us an even bigger test.

Top priorities are getting someone that can rebound and someone you can run the offense through. Miller and Haslem were supposed to help in these areas but injuries and Haslem's disappearing jumper put a huge amount on the shoulders of the big three. The hope is Haslem can find his shot again and be a big part of the post rotation. Miller will have to decide if hes going to retire or not.....if he thinks he can play I'm sure they'll welcome him back. Its not just the threes that he brings to the table. Last year in the playoffs he rebounded like a PF.

Nash and Camby is the dream scenario. I'd love to see a real PG in Miami....take the ball out of Wade and Lebron's hands. Lebron in the post may be the most effective offense even with a point like Nash but you don't want to ask the guy to go in the post every play. Having a guy like Camby would take a lot of pressure off James and Wade.....not having to dominate their matchup on the boards every game. To me the goal of the offseason is to get some depth so the big three don't have to do everything for all 82 games. No matter who they get I think the most effective lineup is probably going to be the same one we saw in the finals, with Lebron playing with his back to the basket surrounded by Wade and a bunch of shooters.

I get the feeling Camby will get some money from Houston. Nash is a real possibility.....Toronto may throw some cash his way and I'm not sure title chasing is something hes all that interested in, but as he said before, if James and Wade came a callin' he'd have a tough time turning them down.

Humphries, Kaman, Kenyon Martin, Dalembert.....probably all going to get far more than the Heat can offer. The Heat will probably be looking at guys like Mahinmi, Maxiell, and yes, even Kwame Brown. I think there's a good chance the Heat will draft a big if one falls to them in the draft, even though bigs tend to rise rather than fall in the NBA draft. Pittman and Curry will probably stick around as well and fight it out with whoever is brought in for a couple roster spots.

At point guard there are a bunch of options, with HOF guys like Kidd, Miller and Billups out there. As much as I love Miller I don't think he really fits. Kidd and Billups are interesting options, even if they can't defend anymore.

My best guess would be that the draft doesn't bring the big man everyone is looking for and the Heat enter next season not much better off at the 5 spot.....hoping Pittman starts to figure out how to defend or Curry undergoes another epiphany. Nash joins the Heat along with a couple ring chasers (maybe Jamison). Miller and Howard retire, and some vet big man is brought in to fight for a spot along with Pittman, Curry, and Turiaf.

Top priorities are getting someone that can rebound and someone you can run the offense through. Miller and Haslem were supposed to help in these areas but injuries and Haslem's disappearing jumper put a huge amount on the shoulders of the big three. The hope is Haslem can find his shot again and be a big part of the post rotation. Miller will have to decide if hes going to retire or not.....if he thinks he can play I'm sure they'll welcome him back. Its not just the threes that he brings to the table. Last year in the playoffs he rebounded like a PF.

Nash and Camby is the dream scenario. I'd love to see a real PG in Miami....take the ball out of Wade and Lebron's hands. Lebron in the post may be the most effective offense even with a point like Nash but you don't want to ask the guy to go in the post every play. Having a guy like Camby would take a lot of pressure off James and Wade.....not having to dominate their matchup on the boards every game. To me the goal of the offseason is to get some depth so the big three don't have to do everything for all 82 games. No matter who they get I think the most effective lineup is probably going to be the same one we saw in the finals, with Lebron playing with his back to the basket surrounded by Wade and a bunch of shooters.

I get the feeling Camby will get some money from Houston. Nash is a real possibility.....Toronto may throw some cash his way and I'm not sure title chasing is something hes all that interested in, but as he said before, if James and Wade came a callin' he'd have a tough time turning them down.

Humphries, Kaman, Kenyon Martin, Dalembert.....probably all going to get far more than the Heat can offer. The Heat will probably be looking at guys like Mahinmi, Maxiell, and yes, even Kwame Brown. I think there's a good chance the Heat will draft a big if one falls to them in the draft, even though bigs tend to rise rather than fall in the NBA draft. Pittman and Curry will probably stick around as well and fight it out with whoever is brought in for a couple roster spots.

At point guard there are a bunch of options, with HOF guys like Kidd, Miller and Billups out there. As much as I love Miller I don't think he really fits. Kidd and Billups are interesting options, even if they can't defend anymore.

My best guess would be that the draft doesn't bring the big man everyone is looking for and the Heat enter next season not much better off at the 5 spot.....hoping Pittman starts to figure out how to defend or Curry undergoes another epiphany. Nash joins the Heat along with a couple ring chasers (maybe Jamison). Miller and Howard retire, and some vet big man is brought in to fight for a spot along with Pittman, Curry, and Turiaf.

we dont want lebron or wade being point guards, especially after wade being a pg almost cost a game in the finals that could have turned the hole series in okcs favor up 2-0. We had the game in the bag til wades costly turnover. That game, had that foul on lebron been caled at the end of the game could have made the game a tie and a 50-50 game from there. We need a point guard running the show but like i said, i like cole and hope he can be our PG. Nash is going to cost too much money, that money can be spent on a center/size. My 2 cents.

Will never get old...love it

I want fab melo to drop to us in the draft. that would be ideal. he is a great defender and thats the top priority in a big to me. Pittman was supposed to develop well but I am starting to think he will never develop he has shown immaturity. hopefully Dalambert will come this year like he was supposed to do last year, I bet he is kicking himself since we won the title. Dalabert and Melo is a great center rotation then Bosh and Haslem can both rotate at the 4. I think Miller will retire but not Jones, Ray Allen might be a pipe dream along with Steve Nash idk if they would really accept that much of a pay cut. I am hopeful Terrell Harris can step up in the void of Miller retiring I see him as a solid bench contributer. Cole needs to really work on his drives to the rim, too many times I saw him get blocked on his lay ups he can get to the rim at will with his quickness but has to make the defender foul him at the very least. Cole will be our starter he is a true PG and creates for others, Chalmers is basically a SG he can score very well from the bench

we dont want lebron or wade being point guards, especially after wade being a pg almost cost a game in the finals that could have turned the hole series in okcs favor up 2-0. We had the game in the bag til wades costly turnover. That game, had that foul on lebron been caled at the end of the game could have made the game a tie and a 50-50 game from there. We need a point guard running the show but like i said, i like cole and hope he can be our PG. Nash is going to cost too much money, that money can be spent on a center/size. My 2 cents.

I haven't seen anything yet that suggests Cole is a point guard. My understanding is that minus and offseason and training camp the coaches basically told him to do what he was most comfortable with, which was scoring the ball. Turns out he wasn't a very good scorer, but to his credit he seems to have really worked on that three point shot while paring down the rest of his game that wasn't working at this level. The potential is there....I just haven't seen it yet.

If Nash wants money he can go somewhere else. The same can be said of any free agent the Heat are after. The mini-MLE and bi-annual exceptions aren't going to attract players in their prime looking for a payday.

I think the Heat in free agency are going to be in a very similar situation to last year. If they had offered that 10 mil to Kwame Brown he probably would have taken it, but it comes down to bringing in a skilled player like Battier in a position that isn't a need vs. bringing in a relatively unskilled player simply because the team is desperate for size. I'll take the skill player every day, and ask Spoelstra to sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom