2013 FINS MOCK OFF SEASON #3 (with commentary)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fanfin, Jan 21, 2013.

1. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Cap Space=47 Million
    Cut Dmitri Patterson = 52 million
    did an adequate job filling in for the injured Nolan Carroll at the end of the year, but at over 5 million a season I'm out

RE-Sign
    Jake Long LT 5 year 52 million (10M$)
    I know.. I know... there is simply no better alternative...

Reggie Bush RB 4 year 17 million (4.25 Ms)
    a fan favorite who fits very well in the west coast offense.. expect to see december reggie of 2011 with actual professional football players at wide receiver

Nate Garner C/G/T 3 year 4 million (1.3M)
    versatile backup who may save us a roster spot due to his versatility

Randy Starks 5 year 25 Million (5M)
    no player benefited more from the 3-4 to 4-3 switch than Randy.. a top interior lineman in the league

CB Bryce McCan 1 year 700,000 K (.7M)
    I thought he filled in nicely at the end of the year.. provides solid depth

52 Million minus 21.25 million = 30.75 million Cap Space Available

FREE AGENCY
    QB Jason Campbell 1 year 2.5 million (2.5M)
    the most talented of the veteran backup quarterbacks available good fit in the WCO and will provide Tannehill the veteran presence needed after Matt Moore leaves

WR Greg Jennings 5 year 45 million (9M)
    connect the philbin dots.. still one of the top 10 WRs in the game

TE Dustin Keller 4 year 20 million (5M)
    dolphins finally get a seam threatening tight end (not named Michael Egnew LOL).. this guy has killed us since he has been with the jets

CB Derek Cox 4 year 22 million (5.5 M)
    good size and ball skills, fits Coyles press man scheme well

30.75 Million minus 22 million = 8.75 Million for draft picks and UDFA

NFL DRAFT
    1st Round WR Keenan Allen Cal
    classic west coast receiver will be a great #2 while learning how to be a tru pro from Bess and Jennings

2nd Round CB Jordan Poyer Oregon State
    great ball skills, man skills and adds value into the return game

2nd Round FS Eric Reid LSU
    adds a playmaker to the secondary.. played in the SEC.. made big plays in big games

3rd Round WR Aaron Dobson Marshall
    one of the more underrated WRs this class

3rd Round DE Corey Lemonier Auburn
    adds depth to the pass rush

4th Round LB Jon Bostic Florida
    solid depth and potential replacement for Dansby after the 2013 season

5th Round DT Everette Dawkins FSU
    adds depth to the rotation of Solaiai Starks Randall

7th Round LB/SS Kenny Tate Maryland
    adds depth to the linebacker and special teams units

7th Round QB Jordan Rodgers Vanderbilt
    developmental qb, who will battle devlin for #3 job or go on practice squad... oh by the way, he is Aaron Rodger's younger brother

DEPTH CHART
    QB1 Tannehill
    QB2 Campbell
    QB3 Devlin/ Rodgers
    RB1 Bush
    RB2 Miller
    RB3 Thomas
    FB Lane
    WR1 Jennings
    WR2 Allen
    WR3 Bess
    WR4 Dobson
    WR5 Binns
    TE1 Keller
    TE2 Clay
    TE3 Mastrud
    LT Long
    LG Incognito
    C Pouncey
    RG Jerry
    RT Martin
    OL DEPTH (garner, samuda, yeatman)

LE Wake/ Lemonier
    DT Starks/Dawkins
    NT Solaia/ Randall
    RE Odrick/ Vernon
    SAM LB Misi/ Trusnik
    MIKE LB Dansby/ Bostic
    WILL LB Burnett/ Kaddu
    CB1 Cox
    CB2 Poyer
    CB3 Marshall
    CB4 Carroll
    CB5 McCann
    FS Reid
    SS Jones
    K Carpenter
    P Fields
    KR/PR Thigpen

:up:

2. state06

state06 A True Fan

Patterson has a 5mil cap #?! i like him but not at that price. damn

3. dolfan4eva

dolfan4eva Starter

Need a pass rusher higher in the draft before we need two secondary players. Get a good pass rush your secondary does not have to be as good because if you get to the quarterback faster it makes the secondarys job easier. Don't need two WR in the first four picks just one in the first or second round. Re-sign Hartline he is a proven 2nd option to battle it out with our draft pick. Would also like to draft a tightend and spend the 5 mil a year somewhere else.

4. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

Replace resigning Reggie Bush with a pass rusher!

5. J Tes

J Tes next generation

Dobson in round 3 is a pipe dream. He's more likely going early round 2 with a chance to sneak into round 1

6. slosh13

slosh13 Scout Team Donator

Sorry but Jennings is not a top 10 WR! I would rather sign Wallace a wr in his prime for 11-12 mill than Jennings for 9!

7. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

pass rush and secondary are tied together.. with a better secondary our Pass rush will be fine with Wake Odrick Starks Misi and Vernon and Lemonier... Wake had 15 sacks last year Odrick had 5 and vernon and misi both had 3.5 a piece

8. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

I like most of what was stated. the glaring miss is we need a starting right guard thru FA or thru the Draft. we will draft a starting one in the draft if we dont get one in FA. This must happen else Rt will be screwed in more ways then one.

9. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to make entire offseason mocks. It takes research and patience. I like it a lot!

10. studsatele

studsatele Starter Super Donator Donator

No better option than overpaying Long again? Really?

11. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

How did you manage to make our secondary worse? You seriously want to roll with Cox, Carroll, McCann Marshall, and a rookie?
    No better alternative to resigning Jake Long? How about ... *drumroll* our left tackle Jon Martin whom we already have?
    I like the Allen and Reid pick but I don't like going wr again in the 3rd. We have too many young guns at wideout and I think we should turn to FA and sign a guy with a few years under his belt to be our #4 or 5.
    Not a huge fan of Lemonier in assisting our pass rush.

The worst part of this whole plan however is the offensive line. Did you not watch us play this year? Why would you want to bring them all back? I shudder at the thought.

I do however like the Keller signing and going after Campbell to help out Tannehill. I just don't think this plan fills enough of the holes we already have.

12. Phins89

Phins89 Well-Known Member

No to:
    Long or Reggie

Bring back Hartline. Bring in Cox/Grimes, and Levitre.

Trade down from 12 to 20 and grab Eifert when he's still there...or C.Patterson. Get a CB, WR and DE in round 2. Get OL and BPA in the 3rd.

13. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 A True Fan

Not realistic in my opinion.

Long is gone. Face it.

Starks? 5yr 25 mil????? Try doubling this contract and you will be closer to reality.?? He may walk as well. You do realize that he going to the Pro Bowl again, right?

Campbell?? Dolphins don't need to spend millions on a backup QB. Devlin has had time to develop and Philbin has publicly praised him; also, there are some nice looking prospects who probably won't get drafted this year. If the Dolphins have the #3 spot open they should be able to attract the best undrafted free agent available.

I really hate the Keller signing. IMO, this guy is nothing but a bad WR. He has almost the worst drop percentage of any TE in the league over the last 3 years and he a horseshat blocker. Yuck!!
    Does sound like something Ireland would do though.

Kaddu won't make the team. He is literally a joke on the field.

John Jerry returning at RG?? Oh the horror

Sounds like Marshall is getting cut. That was some serious back surgery he had. I want him back to play nickel but, his contract is wayyy too high. It was wayyyy too high to begin with. Maybe he will get healthy and take a big pay cut. Doubt it.

I've written too much.

All in all, great effort man. This offseason is going to bear. What do we have, 20 FA's to deal with?

The secondary has to be rebuilt and it is going to be a helluva job to do it. Thank God the FA market is loaded with CB's this year.

14. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

If the offseason plays out like you suggest I'll not be very excited for the season.

15. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

sweet singature dude

16. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Jake Long is not worth 10 million a year but with over 47 million in cap space i would way rather over pay him than draft a tackle in the first round. Yeah I didn't add anyone to the offensive line. continuity is one of the most important qualities of a good offensive line and you can't have that if you shuffle the right side every year. Long was probably 80% health when he was playing pretty well early in the season. You guys talk about him like he is Marc Colombo. He is a former #1 pick in the draft. With another year to develop from the coaching of philbin and turner I like the line of Long Incognito Pouncey Jerry Martin. you guys bash ireland for spending high money and picks on offensive line yet you want turnover on the whole rightside every year? When the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 09 Ben Roethlisberger had been sacked more than any qb that whole season. Granted he holds on to the ball too long and extends plays. but that was just to make the point that offensive line is not that important anymore. its not the 1980s we need more talent at the skill positions. Keller played with Mark Sanchez.. wait till he plays with an actual professional quarterback. How is getting rid of Sean Smith and Dmitri Patterson and Chris Clemons and drafting a second round corner who had 7 picks this year and adding Derek Cox and Eric Reid the talented Safety from LSU making your secondary worse? and maybe this is just me, but idk why a lot of people have a so much confidence in an undrafted quarterback who has yet to be active for an actual game as a solid backup. WE NEED A VETERAN to help Tannehill improve and see things in a defense that a young qb like devlin simply can't.

17. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Substitute normal with average and thats how I feel about our GM. And most of our players that are about to become free agents to be frank.

18. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Decent...campbell is pure trash..rather have devlin as backup...

19. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

as far as Jake Long is concerned if he cant play RT then he can walk because John Martin has taken over the LT possion and isnt going to give it bk up to a slow injured Jake Long you dont have to be as fast on your feet to play RT, But if Jake cant play that side with enough swagger than he can walk and we can pickup a RT to replace where Martin played last year , and i dont wont to hear that Martin cant play LT because he did a hell of a job at Stanford for Andrew Luck ,and with the offseason and experence he had this year he is ready to take over that LT spot , and if Jake Long dosent take a paycut to resign with us let him walk , and grab us a RT in FA or in the draft.

20. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

I would draft more offense with our first three picks....Maybe all 3 of them or 4 out of the first 5.
    Would like to keep Hartline and Smith for decent prices.
    I really hope Big Jake takes a big paycut and resigns, our Oline needs help

21. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

RT is alot easier to find then LT and alot cheaper to replace than LT , i hope he takes a paycut but if not im sure we can find a good RT in FA or the draft.

22. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

Pass on Jason Campbell - go with Devlin as backup. Jennings is questionable - 1-2 yr contract only. Need a DE higher in the draft - get a better pass rush and the secondary doesn't have to be outstanding.