2014 Combine measurements: OL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Combine measurements: OL

That was Jeff Ireland though. New GM so right now it's more of a mystery what we take. Ireland had at least two picks a draft that left me scratching my head and wondering why.

I hate Ireland with a passion. So I'm not trying to defend him by any means. But if there is one thing Irelsnd did, consistently, before philbin got here, was draft tough physical players. Whether they were good or bad, they were at least tough guys who were physical.

Dallas Thomas, will Davis, jonathan Martin, even lamar miller, these guys that started showing up when philbin got here, these guys are soft. These aren't guys Parcells or Ireland would even look at IMO.

The only real soft player Ireland ever drafted was Daniel Thomas, and I always had a feeling Sparano pushed for that. Ireland gets the blame because he's the gm, but there's no way philbin and his entire staff come here without some kind of pull on the draft.

I hate Ireland with a passion. So I'm not trying to defend him by any means. But if there is one thing Irelsnd did, consistently, before philbin got here, was draft tough physical players. Whether they were good or bad, they were at least tough guys who were physical.

Dallas Thomas, will Davis, jonathan Martin, even lamar miller, these guys that started showing up when philbin got here, these guys are soft. These aren't guys Parcells or Ireland would even look at IMO.

The only real soft player Ireland ever drafted was Daniel Thomas, and I always had a feeling Sparano pushed for that. Ireland gets the blame because he's the gm, but there's no way philbin and his entire staff come here without some kind of pull on the draft.
I think that had more to do with Ireland's inability to draft for a different system than what he was used to. Dallas Thomas and Jonathan Martin fit the measurables of a ZBS type O-lineman...problem is they couldn't play. Really, on paper, these guys fit but if you actually evaluated them and watched the games you would think differently. Ultimately Ireland's job was to acquire the talent needed to run the system in place by the coach and he failed. People can place blame on Sparano or Philbin all they want but player acquisition falls on the GM, if it doesn't then why have a GM to begin with? Why have a scouting dept?

Regardless I actually came on because I was filling out my draft matrix with the measurables from the combine and noticed that Anthony Steen has some abnormally short arms, 30 1/2".

I think that had more to do with Ireland's inability to draft for a different system than what he was used to. Dallas Thomas and Jonathan Martin fit the measurables of a ZBS type O-lineman...problem is they couldn't play. Really, on paper, these guys fit but if you actually evaluated them and watched the games you would think differently. Ultimately Ireland's job was to acquire the talent needed to run the system in place by the coach and he failed.

People can place blame on Sparano or Philbin all they want but player acquisition falls on the GM, if it doesn't then why have a GM to begin with? Why have a scouting dept?

I wouldn't doubt for a reason that Ireland had a problem finding talent for the scheme changes.

As for sparano or philbin, it's pretty delusional to think the coaching staff has no say in the roster, just how much is the question. But we do know that philbin sent his entire coaching staff to the senior bowl, which IMO is proof that while Ireland had his scouts doing there job, philbin had his coaches also scouting. That says a lot to me.

As for sparano, when he was extended, part of his extension stated that he would get more say in the roster.

But yeah, it still falls on Ireland, all I'm saying is toughness and softness was never a issue before philbin got here. Add egnew to that list too.

I wouldn't doubt for a reason that Ireland had a problem finding talent for the scheme changes.

As for sparano or philbin, it's pretty delusional to think the coaching staff has no say in the roster, just how much is the question. But we do know that philbin sent his entire coaching staff to the senior bowl, which IMO is proof that while Ireland had his scouts doing there job, philbin had his coaches also scouting. That says a lot to me.

As for sparano, when he was extended, part of his extension stated that he would get more say in the roster.

But yeah, it still falls on Ireland, all I'm saying is toughness and softness was never a issue before philbin got here. Add egnew to that list too.

Every coach has input to the roster. I think in most successful organizations it's a collaboration on who to draft where the GM presents players for the coach to evaluate, they watch film together and then make a determination. However, in those situations there has to be some level of trust and a common philosophy that I don't think ever existed between Philbin and Ireland and IMO I would never have trusted Ireland given his track record to begin with. He has never been very good at fitting talent into a scheme even when we had the 3-4 and power scheme offense. I mean Philbin has been here for two years and Ireland was still drafting guys that fit the 3-4 defense.

I think you'll see under Hickey and Philbin a more conscience effort to determine a players toughness after the Martin fiasco. Not that you couldn't find tougher kids playing Pop Warner than Martin anyway.

Edit: Also it seemed to me that Ireland would try to force Philbin's hand in who to play by either not addressing positions in free agency (he made almost no effort to fix the O-line after the first season Philbin was here knowing most of the O-line didn't fit the ZBS) or the draft (trades away Brandon Marshall and made no effort to replace him cause he though his "diamonds in the rough" undrafted free agent WRs would rise to the occasion). So Philbin was forced to play Martin at LT, Philbin was forced to have to play below average talent at WR and Philbin has been forced to play linebackers that don't fit the scheme plus a number of other positions.

I'm curious to see Kadeem Edwards workout. I've read and heard a lot about him but haven't been able to find much as far as games he played anywhere. Xavier Su'a-Filo and Brandon Thomas are two guys I like at Guard for us. And Gabe Ikard could be a nice Center in our system as well.

This is the only Kadeem Edwards footage I can find, hope it helps!

[video=youtube;yVohGSSlnis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVohGSSlnis[/video]

Wasn't Jeff the Tweener guy?

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

You notice his arm length...32 1/2. Not the only factor, but a definite advantage in the BP.

Yes but Cyrus needs work - 21 c'mon

You notice his arm length...32 1/2. Not the only factor, but a definite advantage in the BP.

42 reps is working it regardless of arm length.

Brandon Thomas who has 34 3/4" arms did 35 reps and Greg Robinson with 35" arms did 32 reps...And Antonio Richardson with 35" arms did 36 reps.

thanks for this...will help with my oline hoops scoops prospect break down i'm working on putting out after i get done with all the tape...this is the reason we didnt make the postseason so i'm putting a lions share of time into it over the next month or so

Look forward to it and very interested to see where you have Antonio Richardson - have a strong opinion on this kid being a stud at the next level.

Its going to be very hard for this team to pass on Martin IMO.

But than again WTF do I know, I never expected us to draft Dallas Thomas and will Davis. the talent we passed on for these two guys, they better show something this year.

I think what you might consider is that this probably means that neither Taylor Lewan no Zack Martin fall to 19. If we want one of them we may have to trade up. About a year ago Lane Johnson was considered a 3rd round pick ... and that all changed once people started getting his measurables at the combine.

I was vehemently against the Dallas Thomas pick ... he didn't look like someone who wanted it or understood it to me. That proved to be correct. Similarly, I don't want any OL from Tennessee in this draft either. But, after the awesome measurables that Antonio Richardson put up, it's probably more likely that we pick him (blech) at 19 instead of Zack Martin. Also, Ju'Wuan James is probably in the mix for us after the first round. Frankly, I don't like either as a prospect ... they remind me too much of John Jerry coming out. The University of Tennessee puts out some fantastic prospects every year. It's a truly amazing school. But, somewhere, someone associated with their OL just didn't instill the right stuff in their OL.

So, when these measurements come out, just remember, everyone else is drawing the same information out of them. Beware the workout warrior ... if their tape wasn't dazzling in college, chances are it will not be dazzling in the pros. Zack Martin's was dazzling, and now without the worry of his arm length being dinosaur-like, he will move up draft boards.

To be honest, I was surprised that Brandon Linder measured out so well. I expect his stock to rise. The kid has some talent, and if he does well in the agility tests and the positional drills he could rise into the mid rounds.

I never liked the mocks that had Cyrus Kouandijo going to us, always thought he was a bit overrated, and now after today there's no way we can take him. He's slow, stiff and not a fit. 5.5 40-yard and a 1.87 10-yard split...no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom