2014 Combine measurements: RB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Combine measurements: RB

agreed on 40 times. I like to look at broad jump, 3 cone & shuttle. Tells me much more about lower body power/explosion and agility. 40's more for show

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

AND it looks like Hyde is done

dude has tree trunks for legs!

I will say this Jerrick McKinnon was expected to run a 4.6 and just ran a 4.38 and had over 30 reps on the bench. Kid was really productive at a small school so depending on how he does in drills he may have my attention

I don't care much for any of the combine, but it does expose weaknesses IMO, especially when a guy like Kadeem Carey only runs a 4.65.. Ewwww, I knew I didn't like him, but I do t think anything is changing my mind now.

well Carey was expected to run a 4.55, and only 2 of the top 10 RBs were expected to run faster than a 4.5 (Seastrunk and Thomas). Not a huge deal if he does well in interviews and drills though

well Carey was expected to run a 4.55, and only 2 of the top 10 RBs were expected to run faster than a 4.5 (Seastrunk and Thomas). Not a huge deal if he does well in interviews and drills though

I'd normally agree with you, but he doesn't have the size to be 4.65 guy. He's not physical, and comes from a questionable system.

I Really think he's this years Dion Lewis, as time goes by he will drop down the ranks because realistically what he was good at in collge, wont be enough in the NFL, and his weaknesses will begin to be highlighted a lot more.

Mason and Sankey are my favorite RB's. I am still not down on Hyde.

I will say this Jerrick McKinnon was expected to run a 4.6 and just ran a 4.38 and had over 30 reps on the bench. Kid was really productive at a small school so depending on how he does in drills he may have my attention

he just backed that up with a 4.35. Dude is on par with Seastrunk in his vert and broad as well. Hell of a performance so far

For the record, the 40 times aren't a huge deal for the RBs

Especially ZBS running backs. Look at all the guys that ran for over 1000 yards under Mike Shanahan...Terrell Davis (4.72), Olandis Gary (4.71), Mike Anderson (4.69), Alfred Morris (4.67), Clinton Portis (4.42)...only Portis was sub 4.5. ZBS running back need to have vision, be able to cut quickly and run with some power.

A "1C" is a runner (he can be either powerful or fast) who starts to run in one direction, and when he sees a hole open up in the defense he cuts back to that opening and runs in a straight line. This goes against the instincts of most players.

But 1Cs must have patience and vision. They must be able to run towards the direction of the play, have the vision to not commit until the see an opening, and the discipline to make "one cut" towards the hole and to stick with it. They must also have the confidence to pick a hole, since the coordinator doesn't pick it for him, but rather it is based off a read or series of reads.

Another key for a 1C is the ability to keep one's legs moving during a tackle. This is because most RBs like to spin or juke (or use other methods), but a 1C usually faces tackles in confined spaces where other methods don't work (confined because the second level is full of OLs, not just LBs).
Keep this in mind before you judge these guys based off of this workout. You can only evaluate a proper ZBS type running back off their game tape. These workout just give some confirmation on what they show in games. Having said all that I like Charles Sims from WVU...and a main reason is that he can pass block.

Especially ZBS running backs. Look at all the guys that ran for over 1000 yards under Mike Shanahan...Terrell Davis (4.72), Olandis Gary (4.71), Mike Anderson (4.69), Alfred Morris (4.67), Clinton Portis (4.42)...only Portis was sub 4.5. ZBS running back need to have vision, be able to cut quickly and run with some power.

Keep this in mind before you judge these guys based off of this workout. You can only evaluate a proper ZBS type running back off their game tape. These workout just give some confirmation on what they show in games. Having said all that I like Charles Sims from WVU...and a main reason is that he can pass block.

Interesting. Good info. Which backs in this draft class are considered pure "1C" backs?

Interesting. Good info. Which backs in this draft class are considered pure "1C" backs?

Ka'Deem Carey is the top rated Zone Blocking RB.

Terrance West
Devonte Freeman (FSU runs a ZBS).

207 is bigger than I expected Carey to be. If he carries it well, and if Hill's off-field issues cause him to take a hit, Carey will be the first back off the board.

Williams and Wilder are the guys i got my eyes on.

Carey was slower than I expected. Williams can't catch

Sankey & White are my 2 preference to replace D Thomas. Sankey is not excelling at anything rather doing all things really well.

McKinnon (Ga Southern) is intriguing. Mayock was saying he could even be a CB or Safety.

Eh this group as a whole is mediocre at best. Nothing special here, i'd pick up a vet for sure and also i'd take a flyer on Wilder since we know he'll drop to the 6th-7th round now from the running in shorts evaluation.

Eh this group as a whole is mediocre at best. Nothing special here, i'd pick up a vet for sure and also i'd take a flyer on Wilder since we know he'll drop to the 6th-7th round now from the running in shorts evaluation.

Don't like Wilder...runs too upright.

I think Carey's slow 40 time only helps us. He's the right fit for the ZBS. Also like Terrance West and Charles Sims. Sims has over 200 career receptions and we could really use a receiver out of the backfield.

Back
Top Bottom