2014 Combine: UNC ailing LT James Hurst to work out at pro day | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Combine: UNC ailing LT James Hurst to work out at pro day

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS – North Carolina left tackle James Hurst entered the 2013 season as a project early round draft pick, but after suffering an ill-timed broken leg in the Tar Heels' bowl game, he is rehabbing not only his injury, but also his draft projection.

Hurst, who grew up just outside of Indianapolis, missed the Senior Bowl due to his broken left fibula and won't be able to work out at the Combine this week. However the battle back has been positive.

“The rehab is good, coming along fast,” Hurst said. “I started walking two weeks ago and it feels good walking around here, feeling normal about it. I still have a week before I'm up and running.”

Hurst said he expects to be fully healthy and do a complete workout regimen at North Carolina's pro day on March 25. He understands there will be no second chances; the pro day will be his only chance to impress scouts during the draft process on the field.

“It's my full physical audition,” said Hurst. “Most of these guys will do their stuff here (in Indianapolis). But I feel good that I'll do be doing everything at the University I played at and graduated from.”
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-ailing-lt-james-hurst-to-work-out-at-pro-day

Impressive work ethic...and talent

Chance he could go in the 2nd round if he pulls off the rehab

With the draft happening in May now I would push it back if I was him. His agent is not giving him good guidance. It was a pretty bad break and there's no need to rush.

I actually like this kid a lot, but his footwork needs...work and he plays a bit to high....he seems coachable and UNC seems to put out solid lineman...I see him as a 4th rounder, but wouldn't see it as a reach in the 3rd.

I actually like this kid a lot, but his footwork needs...work and he plays a bit to high....he seems coachable and UNC seems to put out solid lineman...I see him as a 4th rounder, but wouldn't see it as a reach in the 3rd.

I think he may have been a 2nd rounder before the injury but he could drop to the 4th now. I re-watched his game against South Carolina this year where he was matched up against Clowney. Clowney didn't have a sack in that game but it was as much a function of them getting rid of the ball quickly (IMO the played scared) as it was his blocking. I thought he played a bit high in that game and there were a number of times where he should have been called for holding but got away with it. For the most part he did a decent job of moving his feet but I thought he didn't sustain his blocks long enough. Especially when the play was to the other side he let Clowney trail the play instead of continuing to block him.

He's definitely not the technician Zach Martin is but he's got tools to work with. I think he could work as a RT for us. I just hope John Benton can identify ZBS type O-lineman as well as they did in Houston.

broken leg may explain that 298...kinda light

might be a guy that has a hard time keeping on weight...inability to work out his legs and maintain muscle there may be why he's a little light...305 doesnt seem like a stretch though

I think he may have been a 2nd rounder before the injury but he could drop to the 4th now. I re-watched his game against South Carolina this year where he was matched up against Clowney. Clowney didn't have a sack in that game but it was as much a function of them getting rid of the ball quickly (IMO the played scared) as it was his blocking. I thought he played a bit high in that game and there were a number of times where he should have been called for holding but got away with it. For the most part he did a decent job of moving his feet but I thought he didn't sustain his blocks long enough. Especially when the play was to the other side he let Clowney trail the play instead of continuing to block him.

He's definitely not the technician Zach Martin is but he's got tools to work with. I think he could work as a RT for us. I just hope John Benton can identify ZBS type O-lineman as well as they did in Houston.

I am interested to see his strength...he seems thin in the lower legs (which maybe why he struggles to keep on weight) and doesn't quite have the hips and backside I prefer in linemen, then again I have never seen him up close to know these thing for sure.

Really high on Hurst, I figured from the sound of the break he'd be potentially able to get a workout in. Plays with good power considering his size, he's a perfect fit here. I'd take him in the second.

Really high on Hurst, I figured from the sound of the break he'd be potentially able to get a workout in. Plays with good power considering his size, he's a perfect fit here. I'd take him in the second.

Love that offensive line you have in your signature :up:

Before the injury he was a borderline 1st rd pick. A broken bone is an easy heal, he just needs to add that strength back. By the fall he should be ready to go. If you got him in the third or fourth you'd have a great pick.

He is a top player who is gonna drop due to injury. If he gets a clean bill of health for sure would draft him in the 2nd or 3rd

Back
Top Bottom