2014 Draft likely to be moved to May, Free Agency before combine | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Draft likely to be moved to May, Free Agency before combine

2014 Draft likely to be moved to May, Free Agency to start in mid-February

Awesome. It 'aint broke, but let's fix it anyway.

If they make it so that the kids' finals are done...then it is OK. If not, and they are going to be doing this right in the middle of finals...this is a really bad idea. Most of these kids are going to need that degree...and don't need the distractions during that time. (Of course, they probably don't give a crap...)

The word circulating is that the draft in 2014 would start on Thursday May 15th.

There is also talk that the "Free Agency before combine" is not 100% guaranteed to happen, but if it did it would most likely mean the combine would move to March. Free Agency start date would likely stay the same.

They're trying to make the NFL a year round sport. I love football, but was this really necessary?

If they make it so that the kids' finals are done...then it is OK. If not, and they are going to be doing this right in the middle of finals...this is a really bad idea. Most of these kids are going to need that degree...and don't need the distractions during that time. (Of course, they probably don't give a crap...)

Well unfortunately most dont go to NFL with a degree regardless and there is really no excuse for the better players that have the financial means

They're trying to make the NFL a year round sport. I love football, but was this really necessary?
Well if you're big on the draft and scouting players it already is a year round sport. There are really only 3 weeks in July between the last mini camp and training camp where there's absolutely no football going on. After the draft you have various teams having OTAs just about every weekend, still some free agent signings, etc. By the end of those OTAs rosters are pretty set unless there's an injury...and it's the most boring 3 weeks of my year.

ha ha...i bet the nba and nhl are ticked the nfl trying to eat into their playoff ratings...i like the idea of free agency before the combine but it also served as a haven for agents and teams to talk cash in a all the fish in one bucket atmosphere...

i doubt it would mean much more path to the draft episodes though...would probably start those a little later...pro days for colleges would probably get moved back also

Good point about the NBA/NHL playoffs. I like the draft, I watch it, but you're not going to get me to watch 31 other teams make their picks when the NHL playoffs are on.

Well if you're big on the draft and scouting players it already is a year round sport. There are really only 3 weeks in July between the last mini camp and training camp where there's absolutely no football going on. After the draft you have various teams having OTAs just about every weekend, still some free agent signings, etc. By the end of those OTAs rosters are pretty set unless there's an injury...and it's the most boring 3 weeks of my year.

Oh, for sure. But for most casual or semi-serious fans -- we aren't all superfans like junc -- we only really follow the draft closely around draft time unless the team is really tanking it hard.

I am going to hate having the draft in the middle of May, if anything they should move it up to the beginning of April. Heck, have the draft BEFORE the start of Free Agency.

Back
Top Bottom