2014 FIFA World Cup/Last 16: Argentina vs Switzerland | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 FIFA World Cup/Last 16: Argentina vs Switzerland

phins_4_ever

E12 FH Tailgate Gang
Reaction score
What do we get from Switzerland? There is no team more streaky amongst the last 16 than Switzerland. They won their Group in qualification rather solid but required a 3-0 over Honduras in their last Group Stage game at the Worldcup. Between their two wins was a 2-5 slaughter by the French. We all know that Switzerland is not that bad neither are the French that good. Half their team earns their paycheck in the German Bundesliga. Coach Hitzfeld is a former German National Soccer Player and coached Bayern Munich back to glory. At one point he had an ooffer to coach the German National Team.

Switzerland has to stay focused and with in its boundaries. The team reflects its coach: cool, emotionless and in control. If they are pushed out of their comfort zone i.e. vs France it could be a disaster.

Argentina is Messi. 4 of 6 goals were scored by him. And much like Brazil (Neymar) the team rises and falls with its star player. How much a team who relies on one single player can struggle we have seen in Portugal (Ranaldo) and Brazil vs Chile. The one and only goal for Switzerland is to narrow Messi's field. If they can limit Messi enough (see Iran) they have a fair chance. But it has to be the entire game otherwise they will experience a heart breaker (see Iran again).

This WC started with a flawed draw. FIFA wants Brazil and Argentina in the final. The draw was setup that way. People around the world will remember the hidden drawing balls before the teams were announced and the unequal balance of the groups. Switzerland can put a huge dagger into those plans.

If Switzerland can limit Messi this game will go to OT and then all bets are off.

My wish/prediction: Today will be known as the upset Tuesday.

As I mentioned, in my thread, history is on Argentina's side vs. Switzerland. Argentina has never lost to the Swiss. Ofcourse, this is the WC and anything can happen. I agree that Argentina has relied on Messi to do the scoring, but it's not because Argentina doesn't have the weapons. Higuain, Aguero, Lavezzi, Di Maria are all quality players that are doing great in their clubs....problem is they haven't showed up yet. If and when these stars show up, they not only will take the pressure off from Messi but they can do some heavy duty scoring themselves. My concern is not Argentina from the mid field forward, Argentina's Achilles heel is it's shaky defense, and inconsistent keeper. If the Swiss can catch the Argentines on counter attacks and defensive mistakes (see Nigeria) the offensive weapons Argentina has might not be enough. But I don't think that Switzerland has the type of defense to keep Argentina from scoring. I think it will be a hard fought game but Argentina will beat the Swiss.

Well the great thing about this game is that if it goes to penalties that would run us right into pregame U.S. coverage :lol:

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Leo ****ing Messi

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

The Quarters wouldn't be the same without you Argentina

It was suffering till the very end, but I am glad Argentina found a way even if it was at the very end with 3 minutes left in extra time. Anything can happen in penalty kicks, glad it didn't come to that.

Back
Top Bottom