2014 FIFA World Cup/Last 16: Germany vs Algeria | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 FIFA World Cup/Last 16: Germany vs Algeria

phins_4_ever

E12 FH Tailgate Gang
Reaction score
Not much needs to be said about Germany. One of the most successful countries in world soccer participated in 18 FIFA Worldcups (out of 20) only missing the 1950 (post WWII) and 1930 (first ever world cup).
In those 18 appearances Germany won the cup 3 times, finished four times in second place and another four times in 3rd place. In 11 of 18 appearances they finished in the top 3.
To consider a FIFA Worldcup a success Germany has to go at least to the semis.

While struggling against Ghana (it still produced one of the most exciting halves in this Worldcup) Germany played its other two games quite dominant.

Algeria qualified for the final 16 with a tie against Russia in its last game of group stage and played a solid tournament so far.

I would rather see Klose in the game for Germany. The struggles against first and foremost defensive teams like Ghana were obvious without a true striker. But even if he doesn't start I would expect to see Klose at one point or another if Germany has similar struggles against Algeria as they had against Ghana.
Algeria's game plan is simple: everybody back and hope for counter attacks.
Note: Algeria is still remembering 1982 and the non attack pact between Germany and Austria though most of the players today weren't even born back then.

I think Germany will struggle in the beginning but will pull away in the second half: 3-1 and a matchup with France in the Quarter Finals.

Germany looks like they never played together. A game riddled with mistakes.
Gotta give credit to Algeria though. They execute their game plan to perfection. Should be 2-0 or 3-0 by now.

Maybe we will see a miracle today.

Well that was a thoroughly entertaining game, all the way up to the final whistle. Congrats to Germany. I know people are going to want to analyze their performance to death but don't take away from the performance by Algeria. Hell of a game from the Desert Stars all the way to the final whistle.

Couple of things for Germany, heading into the France game:

1. For the love of god, get rid of Mertesacker, slide Boateng inside and put Phillip Lahm at RB. Your talking an average midfielder but an elite right back. There are enough guys on this team to cover the midfield while Germany is shaky on the backline.

2. Get Schweinstagger and Khedira on the pitch at the same time. I really don't care who you bench.

3. Goetze and Ozil both have underwhelmed in this World Cup. Schurrle scored, but there did seem to be some kind of disconnect between him and the other guys, not sure if he's a guy to spot start but he clearly seems to be a better option than Goetze at this point. I do like having Schurrle off the bench in the 2nd half. Ozil I'm guessing you have to stick with. I'd think about Klose against France.

4. All that firepower, and the best player on Germany is still Manuel Neuer. His game management today was the definition of world class.

5. Can't wait for Friday. Germany/France & Brazil/Columbia . . . it doesn't get much better than that.

Well that was a thoroughly entertaining game, all the way up to the final whistle. Congrats to Germany. I know people are going to want to analyze their performance to death but don't take away from the performance by Algeria. Hell of a game from the Desert Stars all the way to the final whistle.

Couple of things for Germany, heading into the France game:

1. For the love of god, get rid of Mertesacker, slide Boateng inside and put Phillip Lahm at RB. Your talking an average midfielder but an elite right back. There are enough guys on this team to cover the midfield while Germany is shaky on the backline.

2. Get Schweinstagger and Khedira on the pitch at the same time. I really don't care who you bench.

3. Goetze and Ozil both have underwhelmed in this World Cup. Schurrle scored, but there did seem to be some kind of disconnect between him and the other guys, not sure if he's a guy to spot start but he clearly seems to be a better option than Goetze at this point. I do like having Schurrle off the bench in the 2nd half. Ozil I'm guessing you have to stick with. I'd think about Klose against France.

4. All that firepower, and the best player on Germany is still Manuel Neuer. His game management today was the definition of world class.

5. Can't wait for Friday. Germany/France & Brazil/Columbia . . . it doesn't get much better than that.

Germany doesn't really have an outsider defender. Lahm is the only one who played that position most of his career. Thus I agree with you that he should be back there on the right side.

Germany played like they played the first time together. Considering that most of these players are playing together for years even on club level that in itself is mind boggling. Though I do have to say That Algeria executed their game plane perfectly and boy are they fast.

Back
Top Bottom