2014 Is A Great Time For a GM/Coaching Change | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Is A Great Time For a GM/Coaching Change

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
IF Ross decides to replace Philbin, the end of this year would be the ideal time to do so due to expiring contracts, and A LOT of cap space. There would be little reason for the new coach to mak sweeping changes. A closer look.

OL- Clabo is a FA. Jerry is a FA. Cog is a FA (who will not last that long). Martin may be a question. Pouncey is signed, hopefully not a problem.

QB & RB- Can't imagine a problem with Tannehill, Miller, or DT (who we may want to replace anyhow).

WR & TE- Can't imagine Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, Sims, Egnew, or Clay as problems. In no way can we get out of Wallace's contract, and I can't see a new coach wanting to. Have to give him and RT time to connect and get on the same page.

DL- Soliai is a FA. Starks is a FA, I don't see Wake, OV, Jordan, Odrick, or Shelby as problems.

LB- Misi is a FA. I don't see Ellerbe or Wheeler as problems in the locker and Ellerbe as one on the field. Wheeler would be costly ($10.6M) but, possible to absorb if traded or cut after next year (around $4M).

S- Clemons is a FA, who we should want to keep. Jones is a major disappointment but, may turn around, and has a big contract.

CB- Grimes is a FA, who we should want to keep. Patterson is a keeper, with Wilson and Carroll likely. Taylor and Davis are not going anywhere.

So, with the possible exception of Pouncey, I do not see the turnover as any big deal.

We are in a great position for a change due to those not under contract, a full draft, a few trade possibilities, and having $40-$50M under the cap. Any coach can come in and change to a 3-4 with what he has to work with, and do the same with any type of O he wants to put in. The youth of this team is an additional bonus.

*** I know "Caching" should be COaching but, too late to change it. :)

IF Ross decides to replace Philbin, the end of this year would be the ideal time to do so due to expiring contracts, and A LOT of cap space. There would be little reason for the new coach to mak sweeping changes. A closer look.

OL- Clabo is a FA. Jerry is a FA. Cog is a FA (who will not last that long). Martin may be a question. Pouncey is signed, hopefully not a problem.

QB & RB- Can't imagine a problem with Tannehill, Miller, or DT (who we may want to replace anyhow).

WR & TE- Can't imagine Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, Sims, Egnew, or Clay as problems. In no way can we get out of Wallace's contract, and I can't see a new coach wanting to. Have to give him and RT time to connect and get on the same page.

DL- Soliai is a FA. Starks is a FA, I don't see Wake, OV, Jordan, Odrick, or Shelby as problems.

LB- Misi is a FA. I don't see Ellerbe or Wheeler as problems in the locker and Ellerbe as one on the field. Wheeler would be costly ($10.6M) but, possible to absorb if traded or cut after next year (around $4M).

S- Clemons is a FA, who we should want to keep. Jones is a major disappointment but, may turn around, and has a big contract.

CB- Grimes is a FA, who we should want to keep. Patterson is a keeper, with Wilson and Carroll likely. Taylor and Davis are not going anywhere.

So, with the possible exception of Pouncey, I do not see the turnover as any big deal.

We are in a great position for a change due to those not under contract, a full draft, a few trade possibilities, and having $40-$50M under the cap. Any coach can come in and change to a 3-4 with what he has to work with, and do the same with any type of O he wants to put in. The youth of this team is an additional bonus.

You also have to remember, there are some teams that will have around the same cap space, someone is going to overpay for players.

You also have to remember, there are some teams that will have around the same cap space, someone is going to overpay for players.

Yes, and some will be way over. How to spend or not is up to the GM and HC. Obviously they would MUCH rather have it than not have it.

I don't see Wallace's contract that big of a deal because although there would be dead money for awhile how much? I know his cap number goes up to like 17 million next season....so if the dead cap money isn't that much then trading him for a draft pick might not be a bad idea being that draft pick contracts aren't going to cost you what they used to.

EDIT: Then again you'll need someone willing to take on that deal, right? I can't think of many teams wanting that unless its a contender like maybe the Broncos that thinks Wallace is the last piece they need.

I don't see Wallace's contract that big of a deal because although there would be dead money for awhile how much? I know his cap number goes up to like 17 million next season....so if the dead cap money isn't that much then trading him for a draft pick might not be a bad idea being that draft pick contracts aren't going to cost you what they used to.

EDIT: Then again you'll need someone willing to take on that deal, right? I can't think of many teams wanting that unless its a contender like maybe the Broncos that thinks Wallace is the last piece they need.

I don't see anyone willing to take on that contract, I would say just keep him and see how he performs once Tannehill has a line in front of him. I would like to see them be able to cut him with no consequences (he's been a great $2 Million man, but nowhere near a $17 Million man), but that's only wishful thinking.

there is no way we can cut mike Wallace in 2014. 24,000,000M cap hit. 2015 is another deal altogether, as he'll count 12m against the cap in 2015, but the cap hit is only 6M.

there is no way we can cut mike Wallace in 2014. 24,000,000M cap hit. 2015 is another deal altogether, as he'll count 12m against the cap in 2015, but the cap hit is only 6M.

WOW.

Well, then we are stuck with him for at least another year. Keep in mind, there have been new regimes that have not cared and just dumped that salary, dead money be damned.

WOW.

Well, then we are stuck with him for at least another year. Keep in mind, there have been new regimes that have not cared and just dumped that salary, dead money be damned.

we would be much better off fixing the line, and being innovative with Wallace, and use him as a piece to help us win games next season, than to just cut bait and run. Mike is not a major reason why we're losing games this year, but he could certainly be a big piece of winning them next year.

we would be much better off fixing the line, and being innovative with Wallace, and use him as a piece to help us win games next season, than to just cut bait and run. Mike is not a major reason why we're losing games this year, but he could certainly be a big piece of winning them next year.

I agree, but a new regime might come in and not see a place for him. Its happened before and teams dump contracts like crazy and end up with a huge dead money year and the next season they move on. Just speculating here of course, but I don't think we are completely 'stuck' with him. Then again, a new regime might actually use him instead of turning him into a possession receiver (if that - because right now I don't know what he is in Sherman's offense).

Agree completely. We have a lot of flexibility, and the one positive about this season is that it couldn't be more obvious who on the team has long term talent, and who needs to go. I could see Ireland's departure signaling the end of a bunch of his underperforming draftees, such as Daniel Thomas and Nolan Carroll.

It normally takes a year for FA's to fit in well. It's funny how we are ripping Wheeler, when the same was done to Burnett in his first year. PFF has Wheeler graded at -10.6 this year, and had Burnett at -11.7 in 2011. Things can change.

Side note on OP- Misi is not a FA. He signed a new 5 year $18M deal, with $9M guaranteed, and cap friendly.

WOW.

Here's Wallace's contract details.

3/12/2013: Signed a five-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed -- an $11 million signing bonus, each of Wallace's first two base salaries, and $3 million of his third-year salary. Wallace is eligible for annual workout bonuses of $50,000. Another $5 million is available through incentives. 2013: $1 million, 2014: $15 million, 2015: $9.85 million, 2016-2017: $11.45 million, 2018: Free Agent.

IF he does not work out next year, we are on the hook for the $6M left on his signing bonus and $3M of his 2015 salary (guaranteed money). However, we would not have to pay the $6.85 balance of his salary (not guaranteed). So, the actual cost would only be $2.15M, depending on incentives.

It's the Front Office and Coaches that need overhauling, not the players. We have problems on the OLine. But 1 draft and FA offseason and we've fixed nearly ever single problem we have and added more depth.

Remain focused. We don't need nuclear weapons. We need pin point bunker busters.

Fix the Front Office and Coaches and these players you think are underperforming or overpaid will respond. Players respond to leadership.

You don't change your tires when the engine is blown. Fix the real problem and everything else falls into place.

It's the Front Office and Coaches that need overhauling, not the players. We have problems on the OLine. But 1 draft and FA offseason and we've fixed nearly ever single problem we have and added more depth.

Remain focused. We don't need nuclear weapons. We need pin point bunker busters.

Fix the Front Office and Coaches and these players you think are underperforming or overpaid will respond. Players respond to leadership.

You don't change your tires when the engine is blown. Fix the real problem and everything else falls into place.

Agreed. A GM/HC is gonna focus on Grimes or a CB, Clemons or a S, Soliai and/or Starks or NT/DT depending on 3-4 or 4-3. Past that, you're looking OL, OL, OL, and OL. You have the draft and a bunch of money to fill that, and if you sign 3 of the 4 above FA's, your big needs come down to the OL and depth no matter the systems.

Wildbill wins the post of the day award.

Actually find ways to help Mike Wallace make plays as opposed to using him as a decoy? No way...

Back
Top Bottom