2014 Is A Great Time For a GM/Coaching Change

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by So Be, Nov 12, 2013.

1. So Be

So Be A True Fan

IF Ross decides to replace Philbin, the end of this year would be the ideal time to do so due to expiring contracts, and A LOT of cap space. There would be little reason for the new coach to mak sweeping changes. A closer look.

OL- Clabo is a FA. Jerry is a FA. Cog is a FA (who will not last that long). Martin may be a question. Pouncey is signed, hopefully not a problem.

QB & RB- Can't imagine a problem with Tannehill, Miller, or DT (who we may want to replace anyhow).

WR & TE- Can't imagine Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, Sims, Egnew, or Clay as problems. In no way can we get out of Wallace's contract, and I can't see a new coach wanting to. Have to give him and RT time to connect and get on the same page.

DL- Soliai is a FA. Starks is a FA, I don't see Wake, OV, Jordan, Odrick, or Shelby as problems.

LB- Misi is a FA. I don't see Ellerbe or Wheeler as problems in the locker and Ellerbe as one on the field. Wheeler would be costly ($10.6M) but, possible to absorb if traded or cut after next year (around $4M).

S- Clemons is a FA, who we should want to keep. Jones is a major disappointment but, may turn around, and has a big contract.

CB- Grimes is a FA, who we should want to keep. Patterson is a keeper, with Wilson and Carroll likely. Taylor and Davis are not going anywhere.

So, with the possible exception of Pouncey, I do not see the turnover as any big deal.

We are in a great position for a change due to those not under contract, a full draft, a few trade possibilities, and having $40-$50M under the cap. Any coach can come in and change to a 3-4 with what he has to work with, and do the same with any type of O he wants to put in. The youth of this team is an additional bonus.

*** I know "Caching" should be COaching but, too late to change it. :)

2. BleedinGreenNC

BleedinGreenNC Boondock Saint

You also have to remember, there are some teams that will have around the same cap space, someone is going to overpay for players.

3. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Yes, and some will be way over. How to spend or not is up to the GM and HC. Obviously they would MUCH rather have it than not have it.

4. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf A True Fan

I don't see Wallace's contract that big of a deal because although there would be dead money for awhile how much? I know his cap number goes up to like 17 million next season....so if the dead cap money isn't that much then trading him for a draft pick might not be a bad idea being that draft pick contracts aren't going to cost you what they used to.

EDIT: Then again you'll need someone willing to take on that deal, right? I can't think of many teams wanting that unless its a contender like maybe the Broncos that thinks Wallace is the last piece they need.

5. susser2000

susser2000 Well-Known Member

I don't see anyone willing to take on that contract, I would say just keep him and see how he performs once Tannehill has a line in front of him. I would like to see them be able to cut him with no consequences (he's been a great $2 Million man, but nowhere near a $17 Million man), but that's only wishful thinking.

6. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

there is no way we can cut mike Wallace in 2014. 24,000,000M cap hit. 2015 is another deal altogether, as he'll count 12m against the cap in 2015, but the cap hit is only 6M.

7. TheMageGandalf

WOW.

Well, then we are stuck with him for at least another year. Keep in mind, there have been new regimes that have not cared and just dumped that salary, dead money be damned.

8. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

we would be much better off fixing the line, and being innovative with Wallace, and use him as a piece to help us win games next season, than to just cut bait and run. Mike is not a major reason why we're losing games this year, but he could certainly be a big piece of winning them next year.

9. TheMageGandalf

I agree, but a new regime might come in and not see a place for him. Its happened before and teams dump contracts like crazy and end up with a huge dead money year and the next season they move on. Just speculating here of course, but I don't think we are completely 'stuck' with him. Then again, a new regime might actually use him instead of turning him into a possession receiver (if that - because right now I don't know what he is in Sherman's offense).

10. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Agree completely. We have a lot of flexibility, and the one positive about this season is that it couldn't be more obvious who on the team has long term talent, and who needs to go. I could see Ireland's departure signaling the end of a bunch of his underperforming draftees, such as Daniel Thomas and Nolan Carroll.

11. So Be

So Be A True Fan

It normally takes a year for FA's to fit in well. It's funny how we are ripping Wheeler, when the same was done to Burnett in his first year. PFF has Wheeler graded at -10.6 this year, and had Burnett at -11.7 in 2011. Things can change.

Side note on OP- Misi is not a FA. He signed a new 5 year $18M deal, with $9M guaranteed, and cap friendly.

12. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Here's Wallace's contract details.

3/12/2013: Signed a five-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed -- an $11 million signing bonus, each of Wallace's first two base salaries, and $3 million of his third-year salary. Wallace is eligible for annual workout bonuses of $50,000. Another $5 million is available through incentives. 2013: $1 million, 2014: $15 million, 2015: $9.85 million, 2016-2017: $11.45 million, 2018: Free Agent.

IF he does not work out next year, we are on the hook for the $6M left on his signing bonus and $3M of his 2015 salary (guaranteed money). However, we would not have to pay the $6.85 balance of his salary (not guaranteed). So, the actual cost would only be $2.15M, depending on incentives.

13. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

It's the Front Office and Coaches that need overhauling, not the players. We have problems on the OLine. But 1 draft and FA offseason and we've fixed nearly ever single problem we have and added more depth.

Remain focused. We don't need nuclear weapons. We need pin point bunker busters.

Fix the Front Office and Coaches and these players you think are underperforming or overpaid will respond. Players respond to leadership.

You don't change your tires when the engine is blown. Fix the real problem and everything else falls into place.

14. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Agreed. A GM/HC is gonna focus on Grimes or a CB, Clemons or a S, Soliai and/or Starks or NT/DT depending on 3-4 or 4-3. Past that, you're looking OL, OL, OL, and OL. You have the draft and a bunch of money to fill that, and if you sign 3 of the 4 above FA's, your big needs come down to the OL and depth no matter the systems.

15. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Wildbill wins the post of the day award.

Actually find ways to help Mike Wallace make plays as opposed to using him as a decoy? No way...

16. BleedinGreenNC

BleedinGreenNC Boondock Saint

He should submit his resume to Ross, cant hurt right? The guy makes sense.

17. blitzhappy

blitzhappy Well-Known Member

Soliai and Grimes are the priority signings in my opinion. Start looking for offensive lineman and LB's in free agency and the Draft!

18. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

While we're on the topic, why do Joe Philbin and Jeff Ireland still have jobs today? NFL investigation? Like I said, you can interview them from the cabs of their moving vans.

Everybody knows these guys are toast, why drag this farce out?

19. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

-because, sadly, at this moment they are anything but toast. Ross said he has complete faith in his staff, and while he didn't mention Ireland by name, he would love to keep his staff intact. Remember that the staff as presently constructed was a Ross undertaking, so it would take a level of admission of guilt for him to blow it up.

I have had a good amount of success in my personal career, and owe a lot of it to working around a belief that people in power do not want to admit they are wrong unless absolutely forced to. A team (or company, or investors, etc) will tote the status quo until a huge obstacle becomes apparent and forces change. For this reason, even if it costs our team draft picks, a damning report by the Nfl may be the only thing to bring about sweeping and positive change here.

20. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

If Tannehill had more time to wait for Wallace to come open, he would be more productive and dangerous. The Oline and Linebackers need to be replaced. That will yield the greatest improvement.

21. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I mentioned after the Ravens loss (if memory serves) that cronyism was the major problem of the previous regime. Further, it was shaping up to be the downfall of this one.

Here is where Ross needs to step up. He needs to sh**can Jeff, Sherman, & Jim Turner. Find an OC who runs an uptempo style that will properly utilize Tannehill, Miller, R Matthews, Clay, Egnew (I said it), & Wallace. Let the New OC find an OL coach that can implement a ZBS then motivate.

Keep the D the same but actually use Jordan.

Draft emphasis OL, DT, RB, & TE.

22. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

Our best linebacker Misi is not a Free Agent he extended to a 4 year deal I believe 16 million. We have to replace Wheeler he is so terrible, and watching him and Trusnik was painful. That's a terrible combo.

Solia needs to be resigned and if we switch back to a 3-4 we will need to resign Starks.

Grimes we should attempt to lock him up now.

I like the idea of Ross' 5 man committee to include 3 Dolphins legends who are very involved with today's football, and outsiders Tony Dungey and Curtis Martin who both made huge impacts on the game and the AFC. Best thing Ross has done to date. A plan may actually be in place, wow. I'm amazed hope it turns out positive its been a rough stretch.

23. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

Watching Mathews last night makes me wonder while he was rotting away on the bench if Egnew has that same capability, but this staff is so dam stubborn that they go with the guy who is more a vet than the guy with more talent. Athleticism was never in question with Egnew, his blocking has improved greatly and he has recently just started to make an impac albeit slightly, I wonder if maybe this guy has that same breakout game Mathews just had.

That breakout has me pissed because Mathews is exactly what this offense has been lacking, a big, fast, physical, strong hands and playmaking receiver and he's been just sitting on the inactive list or barely seeing the field because he lacks experience? Are you freaking kidding me? How do you get experience if that's what you lack by sitting on the sidelines? To me that's inept coaching and management. What I saw was a QB and WR who seemed to be on the same page a definite chemistry that Wallace just doesn't have. That stubbornness is all on the offensive coaching staff. I'm glad to see Mathews come out and be poised, efficient and show the ability to be a go-to guy, it's BS it's taken this long for him to make an impact like that! How many games could we have won last 2 years if he was out on the field collecting that experience he lacks?????

24. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

I agree, but this would require a new coaching staff that actually knows what they're doing, and how to properly use the talent on the roster... I'm all for it!

25. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Sadly, we are LOADED with talent. But the people that picked them have no clue how to use them.

But, alas, for once talent is not the problem!

26. jtsacksyou

jtsacksyou A True Fan

Don't forget we just extended Misi in September. We may be stuck with this lineback group for a while. Hopefully we can upgrade/replace wheeler, or teach him to tackle as he is good at blitzing and covering.

27. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Where? Sadly, we have no talent. Name 1 elite guy outside of Fields and maybe Wake, but even he hasn't been Wakey this year. Grimes is pretty decent. Outside of those 3, the rest are just guys.

28. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

I also wouldn't say that we're loaded with talent. But, there is enough talent on the roster to wins more games than they are. Miami needs better coaching, and someone who can build an offense/defense around the talent we have right now. Then, as the roster changes, the "system" can adapt to the new players. I would never trust any Head Coach who comes in thinking that his system is perfect and set in stone, and that is exactly what we have in Philbin/Sherman/Coyle.