2014 NFL Draft Position Rankings Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 NFL Draft Position Rankings Thread

futurescout

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a quick intro about myself.. I played in college for a little and I'm finishing up school so I can intern with the Chiefs scouting department. I am in the process of completing my position rankings now. I have most of the rankings complete, but I need to add Day 3-UDFA into the rankings. I hope to have this completed before the Senior Bowl and will post everything in here. Thanks!

Send it to the Dolphins, they could use it.

What a cool internship. Maybe someday you'll be working for the Dolphins!

Quarterbacks

1. Derek Carr Fresno State top 10
2. Teddy Bridgewater Louisville 1st
3. Blake Bortles UCF 1st-2nd
4. Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois 2nd
5. David Fales San Jose State 2nd
6. AJ McCarron Alabama 2nd
7. Johnny Manziel Texas A&M 3rd
8. Brett Smith Wyoming 3rd
9. Zach Mettenberger LSU 3rd
10. Bryn Renner North Carolina 4th
11. Aaron Murray Georgia 4th
12. Tajh Boyd Clemson 4th
13. Sean Mannion Oregon State 6th
14. Jeff Mathews Cornell UDFA
15. Logan Thomas Virginia Tech UDFA
16. Garrett Gilbert SMU UDFA
17. Tom Savage Pittsburgh UDFA
18. Keith Wenning Ball State UDFA
19. Keith Price Washington UDFA
20. Stephen Morris Miami UDFA
21. Dustin Vaughan West Texas A&M UDFA
22. Adam Kennedy Arkansas State UDFA
23. Connor Shaw South Carolina UDFA
24. Casey Pachall TCU UDFA
25. Kenny Guiton Ohio State UDFA
26. Tyler Russell Mississippi State UDFA
27. Chase Rettig Boston College UDFA
28. Brock Jensen North Dakota State UDFA

derek carr first quarterback. mccarron over manziel?
your rankings is ..................................... different.

Connor Shaw had 24 TDs AND 1 INT all season, 64% completion at 8.5 yards a pop. Too low imo.
Tom Savage, while his decision making is not good, he has an excuse, he sat for 2 years as ineligible. This is a prototype strong arm pocket passer, ideal for prostyle offense a la Flacco, Eli, etc. Too low imo.
Tajh Boyd is too low as well imo. The three read option QBs in this draft, Bortles, Manziel, and Boyd are probably best choices for teams in the league as it stands now. In addition to read option and running ability, all 3 are great leaders and can sling it. Too low imo.

bortles may be able to run the read option but if he plans on making a living off of it well good luck...he's not even a tannehill level athlete...he's not tannehills level at anything frankly...athletically throwing on the move accuracy presnap reads

and he's not a stand in the pocket and deliver guy in the face of pressure...it shocks me that people would trade tannehill for that guy...this boards way too damn low on our qb

bortles may be able to run the read option but if he plans on making a living off of it well good luck...he's not even a tannehill level athlete...he's not tannehills level at anything frankly...athletically throwing on the move accuracy presnap reads

and he's not a stand in the pocket and deliver guy in the face of pressure...it shocks me that people would trade tannehill for that guy...this boards way too damn low on our qb

Our QB is legit

I disagree. I don't think our QB is either a prostyle pocket passer or read option threat. He is really not a threat, does not create mismatches.

I disagree. I don't think our QB is either a prostyle pocket passer or read option threat. He is really not a threat, does not create mismatches.

I've seen Tannehill pull a few down for runs of 30+ yards. And make clutch throws when pocket, when given ample time.

you'll have a hard time finding a young qb in this league that makes more sound presnap reads than ryan tannehill does i can tell ya that...wait til we unleash no huddle on people with those kind of presnap reads and attack with tempo...plus the kids money in the red zone

Oh I agree, tempo should help and possession increase should help. My concern is that turnovers per possession will increase as well.

Oh I agree, tempo should help and possession increase should help. My concern is that turnovers per possession will increase as well.

how often you see him force the ball into coverage??? be honest...where you see a just bad decision by the qb...

how often you see him force the ball into coverage??? be honest...where you see a just bad decision by the qb...

Not often but I think there is a reason. We run 3-4 wide with diverging routes and usually he is looking at single coverage, either man or zone. The problem is, we have a limited number of routes and with increased snaps I fear there will be higher likelihood of DBs sitting on the routes, more pressures in collapsing pocket and he is not very good in the pocket, and therefore more turnovers.

Bortles was rarely asked to run the read option until the bowl game. I suspect many people never really looked at him until that game against Baylor.

It was impressive that he made the transition so smoothly, making the correct read virtually every time, along with weaving in space.

There are legit concerns. Too frequently he locks onto a target over the middle and wings the ball at full velocity, sailing it on a rope 20 yards past the intended receiver. I've seen that throughout his career. Might take him a while to relax in the pros before the game slows down for him. Otherwise he's great on the run and in the clutch. High yards per attempt throughout his career in an underrated league. Only Memphis strangely seemed to limit Bortles.

Big guy. I still think his frame is larger than Andrew Luck, even if his listed weight is slightly lower.

The comeback victory at Louisville sells me. That is a tremendous feat, rallying from 21 points down in the second half against a team of that caliber. After Louisville regained the lead, Bortles pulled it out with a great drive in the final three minutes. Similar at Penn State, when UCF blew a lead then Bortles steadied things and UCF prevailed. Tannehill at Texas A&M frequently displayed just the opposite, big leads then a second half collapse. His tendencies in those games were similar to what he's displayed in the pros, an inability to put points on the board. It's like he thinks there's a regulator out there, limiting Miami to 20 or thereabouts.

Back
Top Bottom