2016 Coaching Data Base | Page 60 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2016 Coaching Data Base

HC: Doug Marrone
OC: Nathaniel Hackett
DC: Jim Schwartz

Hard pressed to assemble a better combination imo.
Beard - The way that Marrone walked out of Buffalo just to take the guaranteed money probably didn't impress any of the other owners. Apparently the wording of his contract was something like only Parcells' lawyers would demand and get. He was expecting other teams to be knocking on his door and then there was silence and he ended up accepting a pretty lowly gig in Jax. Other owners looked at this and said it stinks how he treated the Pegulas as the new Bills owners.
Stephen Ross is a pretty high character guy attracted to other high character guys. Everyone on FH now knocks Joe Philbin as a cretin, but I think that he was he was actually a pretty high character guy and wanted that in his coaching staff and players. I can see Ross being very wary of Marrone for this reason. However, Tannenbaum is a negotiator.
Personally, I am more attracted to a Defensive guy taking over. If you look right across the NFL, some of the best long serving Head Coaches came from Defensive backgrounds (eg Belichick, Marvin Lewis, Pete Carroll, John Fox, Ron Rivera - arguably Lovie Smith, Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher). My point is that more of the Defensive guys tend to stick around. Mike Zimmer finally got his HC opportunity in Minnesota and he's looking good this year. Todd Bowles and Dan Quinn are also Defensive guys.

I would consider Jim Schwartz in the mix for HC, but I'm increasingly attracted to Matt Patricia from New England. There is a mindset that Belichick underlings will always fail as HCs because New England's success is all Belichick. Mangini, Crennel and McDaniels all failed, but Bill O'Brien has been a pretty good appointment in Houston, making them competitive straight away and Patricia is very impressive. He also had Offensive exposure early in his coaching at NE.

The other Defensive guy who is allegedly highly regarded is Teryl Austin in Detroit. I would expect that the Ndamukong Suh connection is pretty strong. Ross and Tannenbaum could double down on it by getting Ndamukong's guy as HC. I would think that there is a better chance of Austin becoming HC than Schwartz. We also know that Austin is impressive in interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch Philly pounce on Gase the second he walks off the field today

Sure. Dennis Franchione was there and he had LT and Aaron Schobel. Those TCU teams were very good.

Franchione was only there for three years though and had one 10 win season final ranking 21st. Patterson has had his team finish in the top 25 10 seasons along with 4 top 10 finishes.
Before Patterson TCU had not had a final ranking above 20 since 1959 and had not challenged for a national championships since the thrities.

Franchione was only there for three years though and had one 10 win season final ranking 21st. Patterson has had his team finish in the top 25 10 seasons along with 4 top 10 finishes.
Before Patterson TCU had not had a final ranking above 20 since 1959 and had not challenged for a national championships since the thrities.

Patterson has done great and the best work there. The poster asked "Who ever heard of them before he went there?" and I answered..."sure".

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 27s28 seconds ago
Chiefs OC Doug Pederson expected to be a leading candidate for Philadelphia HC job, per sources. Pederson coached in Philly from 2009-12.

Would Schwartz be willing to be our DC after turning down our head coaching gig in October?

I think Schwartz is looking a head coaching job and I would not take it personal that he did not want to come here midseason. Doesn't look like he made a pretty sound decision?

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

I think Schwartz would come with an entire offseason and a foundation of a full-time head coach in place.

I think Schwartz is looking a head coaching job and I would not take it personal that he did not want to come here midseason. Doesn't look like he made a pretty sound decision?

I guess that all depends if he can get another head coaching job. He had one locked up here and would have been safe for 2016.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 12s12 seconds ago
Names expected to interview for #Browns in the coming days: Teryl Austin & Adam Gase. Doug Marrone likely, as well.

I guess that all depends if he can get another head coaching job. He had one locked up here and would have been safe for 2016.

Nah, I think he understood that interims do not work and it was best to stay away. He knew there would be a slew of DC jobs available this winter and would have a choice of them if he did not land a head job.

I would not sleep on him getting the Fins job. I would not mind him as the HC.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m2 minutes ago
Eagles' coach search will be interesting. Some fencing-mending would be necessary to lure Sean McDermott from Carolina.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 55s56 seconds ago
... Maybe more likely Reid connected assistant: Chiefs OC Doug Pederson. Word in the Eagles building this is he's a name to watch.
0 retweets 0 likes

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7s7 seconds ago
Coaching searches could go faster than year's past. Many potential hot candidates - Gase, Marrone, Pagano, Payton, Austin - not in playoffs

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Great point above.

Here is an article on Schwartz back in October discussing his hiatus.

so he certainly can afford to be selective with his job options. But he admits he wants to return to NFL coaching in this coming hiring cycle, and to that end he spent time this year asking some of his coaching mentors what he should be most focused on in seeking that all-important second head coaching position? Schwartz said he was counseled by one long-time mentor to put together a list of criteria that he was looking for in his next head coaching job, and then have the discipline to stick to that list, passing on an opportunity if those key requirements aren’t met.

“What I’ve been afforded is the chance to make sure that any opportunity I take is the best choice,” Schwartz said. “Look at Tom Coughlin after Jacksonville. He was able to find a very good opportunity with the Giants. It’s easy to look around and point out some coaches in the past where their second opportunity came in a place that might not have been the most conducive for success, and for some of them, that’s the last you heard of them. You can get a second chance. You’re not going to get two more chances.”
“It gives you time to do retrospectives, or to look introspectively at things that you’ve done well, and things that you haven’t,” said Schwartz, who’ll turn 50 next June. “I talked a lot with (Saints head coach) Sean Payton when he ended up with that year off (due to league suspension in 2012), and the way he ended up using that, in what he called the ‘halftime of his career.’ Maybe there’s some adjustments you need to make at halftime.

“I think it’s a lot easier to learn from other people when you’re taking a step back and watching it, and you’re not in the fight every week. Now I can watch the games and I can see it a little differently, with a little different view.”
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/27/jim-schwartz-nfl-return-2016

Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBS 3m3 minutes ago
If Tom Coughlin’s last game is today, Canton is next. Mad respect for guy who used to call me at 6 a.m screaming about something I wrote.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the expectation is that the Colts will fire HC Chuck Pagano after Sunday’s season finale against the Titans.

Colts owner Jim Irsay hasn’t made a formal decision as of now, but it’s expected to come after the season ends. As of now, there’s “little belief” that Pagano will be asked back for 2016 in the form of an extension.

According to Rapoport, Colts GM Ryan Grigson is expected to be retained for the coaching search, at the very least. Rapoport mentions that the Colts exercised Grigson’s option for more than one year.

As for potential head-coaching targets, Rapoport says that the Colts are expected to “think big” with their next hire and could target notable coaches such as Saints HC Sean Payton and Alabama HC Nick Saban. However, Rapoport admits that it’s unclear just how receptive these coaches would be.

http://nfltraderumors.co/139175-2/

Back
Top Bottom