2017 Kiko Alonso thread. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 Kiko Alonso thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That last zone coverage, isn't one of the safeties supposed to pick that up it was certainly deep enough. My read on that is Kiko has the short middle zone

Thank you for the analysis SOS. The one silver lining I can come away with on Alonso is at least there is some "Good". We've had so many LB's who were either very limited (Hull type) or just bad all the way around (Sheppard, etc.) But we are paying for WAY more than a LB with a couple of selective strengths. His blitzes were AWFUL this past Sunday. All we did is lose one more guy from coverage when he rushed the QB. But he did generate some pressure last year if I remember correctly. I would like to see how Kiko would look out there with two good LB's in the unit beside him. He sure hasn't had that at any point in his time here.

Great post SOS. Do you coach currently? Very knowledgeable about the game and enjoy reading your posts!

Thank you. No, sir. Happily retired and now just a fan & student of the game.

Hey sons if you could and I know it's alot of work so you might not get to it. Create a thread about Mike Hull and some of those 9 completions. Was it really 9?

I would say "nice" post but we have been suffering through these anti Kiko posts for over a year now.

That popped run by Oliver is on Harris not setting the edge.

Kiko is a liability in Pass Coverage, not news.

If you think he is that bad, wait until you see the rest of the dread we are about to trot out there for the rest of the season.

Mauluga, Hull, March, Anthony.

Will you slam the table and break down how awful the rest of the guys are or will we continue to be subjected to only Kiko hate?

I've singled out Alonso b/c there is a constant and prevalent misconception that he is an asset to our defense. People notice his splash plays that happen every few or so games, but they don't recognize his many errors and lack of significance in all the other snaps that occur in every game. I have often been berated (see quoted post above) when I point out those issue in mere words, so I felt a thread with visual evidence was worthy to proceed with.

You're are correct that Harris is a culprit for attacking so strongly upfield and lacking awareness to a possible run (a knock on him in college as well), but that doesn't exempt the rest of the 10 defenders from following their assignments and making the proper play on the ball.

There are two types of run defense philosophies, Force and Spill. Our run defense philosophy is Force, meaning we contain the edges and funnel the runner inside to more help. A run defender's responsibility in our scheme is to have an outside-in relationship to the ball. In the play we are discussing Alonso must continue to pursue the outside edge in order to force the ballcarrier back inside to the help that is flowing toward the ball.

Here is the play being discussed.

In that clip Alonso clearly does not adhere to our run principles, takes an inside path to the ball, gives up the edge, and allows a 26 yard gain. That's unacceptable regardless of whoever else might have missed an assignment.

Last edited:
That last zone coverage, isn't one of the safeties supposed to pick that up it was certainly deep enough. My read on that is Kiko has the short middle zone

It's Cover 2 Man. Here are the keys to look for in that clip.

First, from the All22 view you can tell that the CBs heads/eyes are on the receivers, not the QB, this signifies man coverage. If a DB is looking at the QB, it can usually signify Zone, but that's not the case here. Also of note, you'll notice that Alonso is not looking his receiver but at the QB. So should this mean he has zone coverage? It does not, here's why. In our attacking philosophy, the DL pass rushes first and reacts to the run. The LB's read run first, then react to the pass. Because of this Alonso ( or any of our LBS) have to keep their eyes in the backfield to adhere to their primary read of run first.

Secondly, if you watch closely from the goaline view, after the offense makes a quick formation shift, you can see Alonso point at his receiver as a visual cue to the defense to declare his man.

He does have over the top safety help via the Cover 2 shell, but he must carry his man upfield, and stay on his hip for coverage underneath to narrow the passing window.

Here is the play so you don't have to scroll up to see it.

Last edited:
Hey sons if you could and I know it's alot of work so you might not get to it. Create a thread about Mike Hull and some of those 9 completions. Was it really 9?

I will try if I can get around to it. I am also currently charting our defense in game one for alignments, coverages, blitzes, and tendencies so I've got my hands full at the moment.

I've singled out Alonso b/c there is a constant and prevalent misconception that he is an asset to our defense. People notice his splash plays that happen every few or so games, but they don't recognize his many errors and lack of significance in all the other snaps that occur in every game. I have often been berated (see quoted post above) when I point out those issue in mere words, so I felt a thread with visual evidence was worthy to proceed with.

You're are correct that Harris is a culprit for attacking so strongly upfield and lacking awareness to a possible run (a knock on him in college as well), but that doesn't exempt the rest of the 10 defenders from following their assignments and making the proper play on the ball.

There are two types of run defense philosophies, Force and Spill. Our run defense philosophy is Force, meaning we contain the edges and funnel the runner inside to more help. A run defender's responsibility in our scheme is to have an outside-in relationship to the ball. In the play we are discussing Alonso must continue to pursue the outside edge in order to force the ballcarrier back inside to the help that is flowing toward the ball.

In that clip Alonso clearly does not adhere to our run principles, takes an inside path to the ball, gives up the edge, and allows a 26 yard gain. That's unacceptable regardless of whoever else might have missed an assignment.
Is Kiko poor at our force philosophy because of blown assignments or lack of natural instinct?

You are def right about Harris, I know you saw this in preseason even because we mentioned it in earlier posts.

I guess my thought process, and granted this is a new development, is that if Kiko is average, what does that make the rest of our LB corps?

Can we agree that him back at Will may at least yield "more" positive results then relying on him at Mike which was absurd to begin with?

I guess I am just trying to see some sort of positive.

What have you seen form Anthony / March-Lillard? Potential Sub candidates?

Last edited:
Dude, this is getting into the Criminal Minds level of obsession. You might want to get help before Spencer has to delve into your psyche.

i disagree with the few tearing you down for making this thread SOS, if you don't want to see clips and breakdowns of plays featuring alonso then don't enter the thread...pretty simple...

otherwise i think you're doing a good job of correcting a false narrative about kiko being a key contributor on our defense. the best of the worst isn't the type of talent to put on a pedestal (regarding our LB core) - too bad I would've really liked to see how MckMillan could've helped this unit and defense overall.....

are there any alternative ways to use Kiko on the field to take advantage of what he can do, versus how we are currently using him?

At 2.12am in the morning SOS is on FH loading 12 videos to bash Kiko Alonso. While we love your passion for the Dolphins, all we're missing is SOS crawling on hands knees in the tiny Mexican village to join the brothers on Breaking Bad and replace the Heisenberg drawing with a Kiko pic.
The reality is that with the loss of Raekwon McMillan through injury and now Lawrence Timmons going AWOL and now suspended indefinitely, we need Kiko more than ever. SOS can derive his pleasure from constantly denigrating Kiko but he is needed. This was just the first game of the year after the hurricane evacuation and lots of Dolphin players needed the physical workout from playing a game.
El Bravo #47 is needed.

Let's keep it respectful Kiko is our best LB at this point and a hot button topic. I appreciate the analysis by Sons. You dont have to respond if you don't like his analysis or feel free to offer a different take.

At 2.12am in the morning SOS is on FH loading 12 videos to bash Kiko Alonso. While we love your passion for the Dolphins, all we're missing is SOS crawling on hands knees in the tiny Mexican village to join the brothers on Breaking Bad and replace the Heisenberg drawing with a Kiko pic.
The reality is that with the loss of Raekwon McMillan through injury and now Lawrence Timmons going AWOL and now suspended indefinitely, we need Kiko more than ever. SOS can derive his pleasure from constantly denigrating Kiko but he is needed. This was just the first game of the year after the hurricane evacuation and lots of Dolphin players needed the physical workout from playing a game.
El Bravo #47 is needed.

I don't watch TV shows so I have no idea how this is relevant and don't worry about further explanation b/c neither do I care. Stick to the topic.

Concerning the bolded statement, these issues were just as common last season. You're opinion is that he is now needed, my outlook is that he should not have been extended and should have been replaced prior. There are plenty of knocks on Hull and even Allen Sunday, but the truth is Alonso was the worst LB on the field. Yes, Hull was an eyesore in pass coverage, but apparently the coaches have seen enough of Alonso trying to play MLB as he was a loss in both the run and pass game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom