2017 Kiko Alonso thread. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 Kiko Alonso thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been critical of Kiko's play in the past, but I've come around to the fact that the real problem is scheme vs. player fit.

We have a scheme that asks our linebackers to fill gaps and take on blockers aggressively, that's not what Kiko does well. So I ask, why was he retained with a long term deal? We have two starting corners who play best when they're pressing receivers. So why do we have them in off technique so often?

We have mismatched pieces all over this team. Sometimes continuity for the sake of consistency just holds back potential.

Great analysis SOS, much respect. Adding to this thread after every game would be interesting to see if there's improvement.

Great analysis SOS, much respect. Adding to this thread after every game would be interesting to see if there's improvement.

Thank you. My intention is to maintain this thread and to provide tape analysis for every game this year.

I've been critical of Kiko's play in the past, but I've come around to the fact that the real problem is scheme vs. player fit.

We have a scheme that asks our linebackers to fill gaps and take on blockers aggressively, that's not what Kiko does well. So I ask, why was he retained with a long term deal? We have two starting corners who play best when they're pressing receivers. So why do we have them in off technique so often?

We have mismatched pieces all over this team. Sometimes continuity for the sake of consistency just holds back potential.

Precisely. I have very similar questions regarding our defense as well. It's also what happens when you run a static scheme that requires specific prototypes and doesn't allow for versatility or flexibility in personnel enabling a coach to utilize his player's strengths.

When Alonso had his ROTY season, he played in 3-4 and was kept clean by DT's who played 2 gap techniques which allowed him to flow over the top to the ball with less resistance.

Off topic, that type of transition is also my concern for Timmons (should he return) as that was the type of scheme he played in throughout his entire career in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Can't recall if it was asked before when others would go nutty when you mentioned Kiko and they wanted to disagree/agree with what you said, but have you looked at film/tape of Kiko pre-injury with the Bills? Asking because I don't watch a lot of college football over last few years(seems like everybody gets a bowl game, which is eh to me) and surely didn't watch the Bills outside of Miami vs. Bills and I was just wondering if he was actually worth the hype pre-injury (If I recall right, he was like rookie of the week or something a few times his rookie season, or at least AFC player of the week, something along those lines).

Same Ole Shiz different day.... Correct me if im wrong but did we not win this past Sunday and hold an NFL Offense to 17 points in their home stadium? Ill take those terrible performance's by our defenders weekly thanks

Same Ole Shiz different day.... Correct me if im wrong but did we not win this past Sunday and hold an NFL Offense to 17 points in their home stadium? Ill take those terrible performance's by our defenders weekly thanks

Damn you Kiko, you didn't win the game on the last play again.

Can't recall if it was asked before when others would go nutty when you mentioned Kiko and they wanted to disagree/agree with what you said, but have you looked at film/tape of Kiko pre-injury with the Bills? Asking because I don't watch a lot of college football over last few years(seems like everybody gets a bowl game, which is eh to me) and surely didn't watch the Bills outside of Miami vs. Bills and I was just wondering if he was actually worth the hype pre-injury (If I recall right, he was like rookie of the week or something a few times his rookie season, or at least AFC player of the week, something along those lines).

I mentioned a major reason for his success in Buffalo above your post here. As AJ Duhe talked about as well, it has a lot do to with the scheme he played in that freed him up.

Alonso's injuries have also caught up with him as has had 3 surgeries on his knees (1 on one, 2 on the other) and also hip surgery as well. He's not nearly as explosive as he since coming off his ROTY performance.

This kind of analysis is why he and I will never be on the same page when it comes to lb play. He gets cut on one blitz attempt gets accounted for on another with the protection scheme and that's bad? My ass.

Overruns a tackle in space play that makes the back stop so that the pursuing de can run him down for no additional gain is a terrible play?

Points out the wr screen pre snap post snap looks to it and loses his assignment yep that's not good but there's no explanation for how it happened or why it did. Just a he's lost type final verdict.

I could go on.

Thanks for the effort. I may not agree with some of it, but i still have to give you props for all the good work. And yes. keeping this thread open every week with your inputs is a great idea.

The Bad:

Blitz attempts.

Defends the run appropriately from outside-in but doesn't make an impact and is irrelevant to it's conclusion.

Alright I'm in this mf now. This last clip he outside in takes on the tight end with the correct shoulder forces the tight end back making the back have to go around him the mike lb can't even get out there to make the tackle horizontal with the los the damn strong side opposite backer has to do it.

That's a mike hull not being a rangy enough player negative grade play

I mentioned a major reason for his success in Buffalo above your post here. As AJ Duhe talked about as well, it has a lot do to with the scheme he played in that freed him up.

Alonso's injuries have also caught up with him as has had 3 surgeries on his knees (1 on one, 2 on the other) and also hip surgery as well. He's not nearly as explosive as he since coming off his ROTY performance.

Ah okay, I didn't go through whole thread, pretty much assumed select few would actually take time to read over what you posted and then majority would shake heads at it lol. I was aware of the knee surgeries, didn't know extent of hip surgery. In all honesty, I think he is what the average football watcher(watches only one team and then playoffs/superbowl time) would consider a overall good player.. he will make some flash plays here and there, just enough to make one think "oh this guy could be the real deal" but when compared to other players around the league, then it becomes eh but that is what happens when we hit the time period of stat sheet reading instead of game watching imo.

Either way, thank you for the time taken out to do it and further thanks to anybody that questions, furthers the discussion, etc.. with agreeing or disagreeing with Sons. It's nice to watch people debate something in a civil fashion over the "this player sucks..." "yeah well umm you suck!"

The Bad Cont.

For those infatuated with statistics, this was a recorded "tackle".

Self explanatory tackle attempt and takes out his own teammate.

Washed out.

First play he's in the correct gap forces Gordon to go to the opposite side where the damn mikes lack of range shows up yet again.

2nd play they gain no additional yardage 3rd play he is washed out but he had no impact on the play.

I will admit that he gives ground in take on that's why he's playing weak instead of mike

Although he's the best strike with one shoulder or thud with it lb we have.

Last edited:
Alright I'm in this mf now. This last clip he outside in takes on the tight end with the correct shoulder forces the tight end back making the back have to go around him the mike lb can't even get out there to make the tackle horizontal with the los the damn strong side opposite backer has to do it.

That's a mike hull not being a rangy enough player negative grade play
Ideally you like to see him force the RB back inside which is where Hull was But damn fine play for Chase Allen

Ideally you like to see him force the RB back inside. But damn fine play for Chase Allen

He has to take on that tight end he pushes him back not giving up a soft edge freaking mike should be there not the strong side backer. But yes nice play by Allen. Cause the mike the balls by

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom