2017 NFL Draft order and needs: Nos. 11-20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 NFL Draft order and needs: Nos. 11-20

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
I think that puts the team in range for one of the top linebackers, which is a primary need.

If we're excluding QBs then I suppose the short list for me at that spot (pending trends with Ajayi) would be Derek Barnett, Carl Lawson, Charles Harris, Zach Cunningham, Anthony Walker, Quincy Wilson and perhaps Desmond King.

I don't think you shoot for a guard up here. The way the "Fab Five" (Ajayi's name for them) have been playing I think you just go ahead and keep the unit intact and work on their depth and future replacements. That certainly doesn't have to be in the 1st round.

I'm not certain I see a TE that I would take up there. I think I like Jeremy Sprinkle the best but he's not a guy you need to take quite that high.

I can't imagine letting Albert go unless he takes a major injury. (knock on wood)

And I think defensive end is in the cards no matter who stays or who goes unless we do something there in free agency.

And I still don't see us drafting a TE high. Gase took a lot of draft picks for himself this past draft, he owes Joseph a lot next off season.

Most of Gase's offense will be returning next year anyway. So its not like he should needs much besides a few filler pieces he can find in free agency.

I can't imagine letting Albert go unless he takes a major injury. (knock on wood)

And I think defensive end is in the cards no matter who stays or who goes unless we do something there in free agency.

And I still don't see us drafting a TE high. Gase took a lot of draft picks for himself this past draft, he owes Joseph a lot next off season.

Most of Gase's offense will be returning next year anyway. So its not like he should needs much besides a few filler pieces he can find in free agency.

I agree with the bolded, but I think we see the opposite of what we did in 2016 in doing that where we go defense in the 1st, offense in the 2nd, and defense thereafter, and if that's the case there should be a good TE prospect still around in this draft when we pick in the 2nd round in this draft with it being a decent TE draft.

I agree with the bolded, but I think we see the opposite of what we did in 2016 in doing that where we go defense in the 1st, offense in the 2nd, and defense thereafter, and if that's the case there should be a good TE prospect still around in this draft when we pick in the 2nd round in this draft with it being a decent TE draft.

Gray is a better athlete than Julius Thomas IMO, and Gase did pretty well with him. Julius really wasn't all that impressive IMO as a bball player.

I think Gase has his TE projects on the roster already, maybe we sign a cheap vet. If Gase was worried about TE he could of signed Zack Miller, he wasn't even expensive, we didn't even talk to him. I don't think Gase is worried about it.

what about Foster at LB

He's obviously in the convo.

Looking at Mike (moving Kiko to Will)

I think you go Cunningham, Foster, Walker...and I would say in that order...

You you want to keep Kiko at Mike

Then you could look at Haynes and Davis...

I prefer option one of getting a Mike and moving Kiko to Will...I think the talent in this draft is beter at Mike and it would be great to get a guy who can be the dude on the defense.

My preference is to go pass rusher early but gotta look at whose available. As much as we need a pass rusher can't sit here and say that a Cunningham or Walker wouldn't help our defense a lot

My preference is to go pass rusher early but gotta look at whose available. As much as we need a pass rusher can't sit here and say that a Cunningham or Walker wouldn't help our defense a lot

Lawson and Barnett would be very helpful as well if they are there...

If we're excluding QBs then I suppose the short list for me at that spot (pending trends with Ajayi) would be Derek Barnett, Carl Lawson, Charles Harris, Zach Cunningham, Anthony Walker, Quincy Wilson and perhaps Desmond King.

I don't think you shoot for a guard up here. The way the "Fab Five" (Ajayi's name for them) have been playing I think you just go ahead and keep the unit intact and work on their depth and future replacements. That certainly doesn't have to be in the 1st round.

I'm not certain I see a TE that I would take up there. I think I like Jeremy Sprinkle the best but he's not a guy you need to take quite that high.

I guess Reuben Foster would be gone in that range. Haven't seen Zach Cunningham what's the short scouting report on him and how do you think he'd fit in Miami's defense? I see Tim Williams as a possibility if he falls. I see some of Cam Wake in his quickness.

Agree with you on guard, especially if the team keeps Brandon Albert. At this point, I hope they do.

Tim Williams is probably not a possibility for Miami because of system considerations.

Cunningham looks to me like a nice cross between Karlos Dansby and K.J. Wright. He's very tall and lengthy but plays with great knee bend so he seems to never have leverage problems. Takes on blockers really well, very physical. And he's got good range, can run all over the place. Physically in terms of build and ability he profiles like a guy the NFL will love because he can be very good in coverage which has become more and more important in today's NFL. Interestingly though, his run defense seems to be ahead of his coverage, and he's a compelling run defender. That's where I think the Wright and Dansby comparisons hold, because those guys were destined to have a brighter future in coverage at the NFL level than they did at the college level. Not that any of the three are/were bad in coverage at all. I think you're just looking at linebackers that are total play makers and good run defenders who had/have the ability to end up elite in linebacker coverage as well.

For the kind of defense Miami wants to run, Zach Cunningham seems the most obvious fit while being an excellent, excellent player.

That said, Anthony "The Franchise" Walker, Jr. may be the best linebacker period that they could be adding and there is something to be said about that because every year it seems like coaches may want to run their system a certain way and then the plans have to change because the players are good at some things and not good at others. Miami's defense wants to pattern after Seattle in many ways, I think, and one thing to consider there is that Miami may already have a K.J. Wright-like player in Kiko Alonso, and perhaps they ought to get themselves more of a Bobby Wagner in Anthony Walker.

Either way, I adore Walker. When the draft process rolls around and starts going in earnest, you're going to start hearing a lot of stories about Walker. Very Myles Jack-like. He's from Miami, and I would love to bring him home.

ck do you think Walker is a late first round pick or is he a second day pick

Back
Top Bottom