2017 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 NFL Draft Prospects

I am so done with Tennessee players, ever since Jason Allen we just don't seem to get a good player from that program!

DE Carl Lawson Auburn 6-2 261

[video=youtube;vCcx8pcwpe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcx8pcwpe4[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'2"
Weight:261
Arm:31 1/2
Hand:10 3/8
40 Yard Official:4.67
Bench:35
Vertical:33
Broad:114
3-Cone:7.46
S. Shuttle:4.19
60 Yard Shuttle:

He is back to full healthy and "better than ever" post-surgery, according to the coaches, which is unsettling news for SEC quarterbacks. Lawson boasts explosive get-off quickness with natural flexibility to bend the edge and fight through blockers' jabs. If he plays at the same level (or better) this season, the hype for Lawson will continue to grow.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079872/carl-lawson

Strengths:
While Carl Lawson is a little shorter than scouts would like to see, there is no denying he has the physical tools needed to succeed against NFL caliber lineman. As a pass rusher he uses an explosive first step to meet the tackle at the corner before he utilizes his heavy hands to swat away the punch on his way to the quarterback. There has also been instances where he shows an impressive swim move to beat the opposing lineman. He has very good closing speed, and once he beats the tackle there is very little chance for the quarterback to escape. Lawson doesn’t just rely on his speed in rushing the passer. He possess enough strength in his lower body to drive through lineman in a bull rush.
Carl Lawson isn’t just a pass rusher. He utilizes his power and impressive arm extension to lock out tackles to seal the edge, forcing the running back to in the inside. He is also versatile along the defensive line, as he not only lined up as a five-technique but spent time as a six-technique and three-technique on occasion.
Weaknesses:
Carl Lawson is a very talented player, but there are some areas of his game that need to be improved on prior to the draft. There are times throughout the game where his lack of effort is visibly noticeable. When he does this he isn’t anywhere near the talented pass rusher he can be. His get-off at the snap of the ball is at times iconsistent, which results in the offensive tackle having plenty of time to get into his stance and prepare himself for Lawson’s rush attempt. His mental processing is a bit behind. When reading run/pass options, or quarterback option plays he can become a victim of paralysis by analysis.
Off the field there is the obvious injury history he will have to overcome. Teams will want to closely read through his medical records at the combine to be sure he is in fact 100% healthy.
Final Thoughts:
Carl Lawson has a plethora of traits that are translatable to the NFL. The biggest question with Lawson will be his ability to correct some of weaknesses, and to continue to turn his flashes of dominance into consistent production. He should be able to do this more time spent on the football field instead of the trainers table. If he is able to do that, Lawson has a very bright future in the NFL, and I expect to hear his name called early on Day Two of the draft.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/carl-lawson-edge-auburn-2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report-011417

Last edited by a moderator:
OLB T.J. Watt Wisconsin 6-4 252

[video=youtube;o81cSkU3Y58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81cSkU3Y58[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'4"
Weight:252
Arm:33 1/8
Hand:11
40 Yard Official:4.69
Bench:21
Vertical:37
Broad:128
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

.Wisconsin junior linebacker T.J. Watt, the younger brother of Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, will forgo his senior season with the Badgers and enter the 2017 NFL Draft. The younger Watt announced his decision to enter the draft on his Twitter account Tuesday. "This season has been an absolute blast," Watt wrote. "I could not have asked for a better group of guys to play with, better coaches to play for, or a better fan base to represent." "Playing for the University of Wisconsin has always been a dream of mine and I am extremely fortunate to have been able to fulfill that dream." "... This decision was by no means an easy one, but I feel that it is the right decision for me at this time." Watt, 22, led the Badgers (11-3) with 11 1/2 sacks and totaled 63 tackles with 15 1/2 stops for a loss and two forced fumbles.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128388&draftyear=2018&genpos=OLB

Strengths Produced at high-end level with just one season of full-time football. Has desired length for the edge with room to accommodate more size. Attacks blockers with early arm extension and utilizes push-pull technique to upset their balance as his pet move against run and pass. Outstanding hand play in his game. Disruptive as first man in on twists. Always ready to leap into passing lane and deflect the throw. Strikes fast and early to create leverage points. Rarely has helmet involved in play and is constantly searching for the ball. Understands art of quick disengagements and can flatten out against outside run. Has good agility to clear trash near his feet and pursue the ball. Functional in space when asked to cover. Can get skinny when shooting gaps and has decisiveness and pursuit quickness to crash down the line and close-out cutback lanes. Consistent, wrap-up finisher as tackler.
Weaknesses Not overly twitched-up as an athlete. Short strider who lacks explosion out of stance and up the field to bend the edge as a pass rusher. Foot quickness is average and needs to win with technique and great hand play. Won’t generate enough acceleration to crank up speed-to-power rush with consistency. Plays with a narrow base. Needs to play with more consistent bend to play through redirection by offensive line. Will have to add power in his base to hold point of attack against tackles. Pass rush menu will need more options against NFL tackles.
Sources Tell Us “He looked a lot stronger and a lot more confident on tape this year. He needs to get bigger, but he’s already a strong guy. I can see him standing or playing base end for a 4-3 team. He’s going to keep getting better.” -- Midwest area scout for AFC team
NFL Comparison Paul Kruger
Bottom Line A long-limbed effort rusher who posted impressive numbers against the run and pass in just one year as a starter. He is a tireless worker who pursues from snap to whistle and his brother, J.J., will be a tremendous resource for technique and pass-rush plan. While he is unlikely to win a race to the edge, he’s a plus run defender who can get to the quarterback with plus hand work and relentless effort.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/t.j.-watt?id=2558064

I am so done with Tennessee players, ever since Jason Allen we just don't seem to get a good player from that program!

I don't follow that way of thinking. During the Canes heyday we had some bad luck with Yatil Green and then seemingly stayed away from picking Miami players. We basically allowed the awesome teams of the early 2000s to get away without taking any of them, except Vernon Carey. There wasn't even a mid or late round flyer on anybody. I was shaking my head in disbelief as we took so many small college guys instead.

Are we going to ignore Stanford due to the Jonathan Martin example? I've actually seen that theme on this board.

Barnett is very effective on either side. I actually thought Tennessee erred by using him in long stretches on the same side instead of rotating from series to series or within a series. He's mostly a one-gear type but it's a fast aggressive agile gear, as opposed to the Kansas State kid Willis who takes long lumbering upright strides out of the block.

SS Obi Melifonwu Connecticut 6-4 224

[video=youtube;0x3Nb2UXqx8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x3Nb2UXqx8[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'4"
Weight:224
Arm:32 1/2
Hand:9 1/8
40 Yard Official:4.40
Bench:17
Vertical:44
Broad:141
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Connecticut’s Obi Melifonwu is an under the radar safety prospect who has entered the spotlight thanks to a strong showing at the Senior Bowl.
Obi Melifonwu features a rare combination of size, length and athleticism. His fluid movement skills combined with his size gives him a ton of versatility. It’s this versatility that has a lot of NFL evaluators excited about his future.
At Connecticut, Melifonwu spent most of his time lined up in a two-high safety look or in the slot. These alignments often asked him to play 10+ yards off the line of scrimmage. It also meant that Melifonwu spent a lot of time reading the quarterback’s eyes.
He showed the ability to make quick reads and close towards the football. His short-area burst and overall quickness allowed him to cover sideline to sideline. However, his game was filled with a lot of hesitation that resulted in a lot of his tackles coming several yards down field.
Melifonwu is a reliable tackler who tends to catch the ball carrier. I’d like to see him play more aggressive and use his frame to deliver some big hits.
In coverage, Melifonwu can cover a lot of ground but at this point tends to play the receiver rather than the football. His main approach is to deliver a hit to the receiver and keep him from making a play on the ball.
This isn’t what NFL defensive coordinators want to see as they rather have their defensive back play the football and create turnovers.
Overall, Melifonwu is a physical freak who needs more coaching and time to develop. There’s a lot of talent to work with and plenty of coaches will pound the table to get a guy with his natural skills. He’s a work in progress who won’t be ready to contribute right away but could pay huge dividends for the patient teams.

Current Draft Range: Late 3rd Round
https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/01/31/2017-nfl-draft-connecticut-obi-melifonwu-scouting-report/

It's more of a joke than anything, I realize it's illogical but at the same time it is coincidental.

Someone that I think Awsi Dooger would like is Stanford DE Solomon Thomas. He probably epitomizes the thinking that a great player is going to be great regardless of scheme. You look at him in the system he played in and you think OK I know what he is, but then you look at the core movement skills, the brutality in his hands, the fact he can run a short shuttle like a particularly agile linebacker or defensive back, you look at his build, and the reality is this is probably a player that transcends system.

Any 4-7th round DTs you guys like? I think we cut Mitchell and save the money, but that would open up a rotational player that could go to a developmental prospect.

Any 4-7th round DTs you guys like? I think we cut Mitchell and save the money, but that would open up a rotational player that could go to a developmental prospect.

I'm not done with DT's, but my favorite mid-late RD DT is D. Godchaux, and he'd be more of a backup to Suh than a replacement for Mitchell.

FS Rayshawn Jenkins Miami 6-1 214

[video=youtube;vDghDr_dD2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDghDr_dD2g[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'1"
Weight:214
Arm:32 3/4
Hand:9 5/8
40 Yard Official:4.51
Bench:19
Vertical:37
Broad:128
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Jenkins put together a strong senior season to earn an invitation to the Senior Bowl. He totaled 76 tackles with seven passes broken up and two interceptions. For the NFL, Jenkins would fit as a strong safety type.
Jenkins missed a lot of his junior year with an injury. As a sophomore, he had 46 tackles with three interceptions and five passes broken up.
https://walterfootball.com/draft2017S.php

Started 12 of 13 games and served as one of Miami's top defensive playmakers...Earned All-ACC Honorable Mention recognition from Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA)...Ranked third on team with 76 tackles (56 solo) and finished with 4.5 tackles for loss...Led team with two interceptions and ranked second with seven pass breakups...Added 1.5 sacks...Started season opener against Florida A&M (Sept. 3) and posted five tackles (four solo)...Added five tackles (three solo), 1.0 TFLs (six yards), 0.5 sacks (four yards) and first interception of season in start against FAU (Sept. 10)...Interception came on tipped ball in third quarter against Owls...Totaled four tackles (three solo) in start at Appalachian State (Sept. 17)...Totaled six tackles (all solo) and recorded one PBU in road win at Georgia Tech (Oct. 1)...Tied for team lead with six tackles (all solo) and had two PBUs against Florida State (Oct. 8)...Registered career-high 14 tackles (nine solo) and 1.0 TFL in start against North Carolina (Oct. 15)...Totaled three tackles (two solo) at Virginia Tech (Oct. 20)...Recorded three tackles (two solo) in start at Notre Dame (Oct. 29)...Totaled four tackles (three solo) and had second interception of season in win over Pittsburgh (Nov. 5)...Delivered impressive performance in win at Virginia (Nov. 12), starting and totaling six tackles (five solo), 1.5 TFLs (seven yards), one sack (two yards) and one PBU...Started and finished with four tackles and game-high three PBUs in win at NC State (Nov. 19)...Ranked second with 10 tackles (seven solo) in regular season finale win over Duke (Nov. 27)...Started and finished second with six tackles (four solo), including 1.0 tackle for loss (one yard), in Russell Athletic Bowl victory over West Virginia (Dec. 28).
http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205558472

RB Dalvin Cook Florida State 5-11 206

[video=youtube;t6urirja07k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6urirja07k[/video]

[video=youtube;tLJn1pBeyEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJn1pBeyEQ[/video]

Combine Results:
Coming

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2130893/dalvin-cook

This is the first I've seen of Cook, I don't follow college, but God damn that kid is quick and fast. He's making everyone look like they're running through water. Look strong also. If we get another miracle and he drops you have to take this kid.

CB Desmond King Iowa 5-10 201

[video=youtube;S7jvk_TbVDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jvk_TbVDI[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:5'10"
Weight:201
Arm:31 1/8
Hand:9 5/8
40 Yard Official:
Bench:14
Vertical:34
Broad:117
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:
STRENGTHS: King is an instinctive, passionate defender with the agility, ballskills and quickness to handle coverage duties in the NFL, as well as the physicality and open-field tackling skills necessary to hold up in run support. He's physical enough, in fact, to handle the conversion to safety - the position his head coach, Kirk Ferentz, initially thought he would play.
King possesses light feet and the fluid change of direction to remain at corner, however. He's quick in his backpedal and transitions cleanly, accelerating smoothly to keep up on vertical routes. King is perhaps at his best, coming downhill back to the ball, showing terrific route anticipation as well as the body control and ballskills to intercept passes (NCAA-leading eight interceptions through the 2015 regular season).
These ballskills also transfer well to special teams, where King shows above average ability as both a kick and punt returner. He's an aggressive returner with the vision, burst and courage to continue in this role at the next level.
WEAKNESSES: Frankly, King is a better football player than athlete. He doesn't possess elite agility or speed and didn't face many true speed demons in the Big Ten. King doesn't possess the makeup speed to recover if he's beaten initially.
While King sports broad shoulders, he doesn't possess the height or length scouts prefer in an outside corner, which may limit him to "just" slot duties at the next level. Scouts may want to investigate King's football character. Iowa suspended him for the first quarter of the Nov. 28 matchup with Nebraska, reportedly for his being late to a team meeting.
IN OUR VIEW: King already looks the part of an NFL standout with a respectable 5-foot-11, 200-pound frame. Whether he is ultimately a better fit at corner or safety will depend on the team that drafts King, but he brings additional value as a kick and punt returner.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2071692/desmond-king

[video=youtube;5yWAS7Q8Phk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWAS7Q8Phk[/video]

This game really showcased what David Njoku can do. I would love to draft him, I think hes going in the first round though

Someone that I think Awsi Dooger would like is Stanford DE Solomon Thomas. He probably epitomizes the thinking that a great player is going to be great regardless of scheme. You look at him in the system he played in and you think OK I know what he is, but then you look at the core movement skills, the brutality in his hands, the fact he can run a short shuttle like a particularly agile linebacker or defensive back, you look at his build, and the reality is this is probably a player that transcends system.

I made the same point in another thread. You draft him and you figure it from there because you know it s going to be varying degrees of very successful no matter what.

I hadn't seen that post from ckparrothead, the one quoted above. Yes, Solomon Thomas is my favorite player in this draft. The Stanford band is my favorite band. Thomas had me from the outset when he immediately embraced the Stanford Nerd Nation image at his signing day announcement a few years ago. Michelle Wie also loves to associate with that image. She's a Stanford grad.

When Stanford got blown out by Washington and the season started slipping away I was hoping Thomas was slip into greater obscurity than warranted. Naturally that didn't happen. The team rebounded after a change at quarterback and then Thomas had the awesome bowl game. Too bad he wasn't the one who sat out the game to protect his body.

I'm still very high on Christian McCaffrey also. It still chafes that he didn't win the Heisman last season. Right now it's preposterous what that award has turned into, the southerner of the year who has high profile outings on television early in the season. When I was a kid that award was based on career excellence, a stepladder approach. That's the way it should remain.

I also like Jarrett Joyce from Shipping Wars. I just started watching Shipping Wars. That's an awful career choice compared to the Storage Wars guys. No hidden upside. You aren't going to find diamonds stuffed in the wheelwell of that jalopy you're shipping. And even then I'm not sure who the rightful owner would be. They don't address this on the program. Jarrett might be a clumsy shipper with no sense of value but I love his politics.

Back
Top Bottom