2017 NFL Draft: Seven teams that added most talent on defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 NFL Draft: Seven teams that added most talent on defense

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
[h=3]3. Miami Dolphins[/h]
Score: 335 points (4 players)
The skinny: Charles Harris is an exciting addition to the Dolphins' defense, with a quick first step and a knack for penetration that made him one of the top defenders in the SEC. Brandt ranked him No. 17 overall. Miami grabbed Raekwon McMillan and Cordrea Tankersley with its next two selections, and waited until Round 5 to turn its attention to the offense.
The players (points):
No. 17: Charles Harris (134)
No. 58: Davon Godchaux (93)
No. 73: Raekwon McMillan (78)
No. 121: Cordrea Tankersley (30)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-defense?campaign=fb-nf-sf76446182-sf76446182

While I don't really like the points analysis ... it seems to equate more picks to a better draft, I do think we have a good class. IMHO, McMillan will prove to be an excellent LB with very high ceiling and also a high floor. The kid is all business with lots of athletics and very young. He dominated at Ohio State at age 19. I'm excited to watch this kid patrol the gridiron for more than a decade.

Harris possesses one of the best collection of pass rush ability and pass rush skills in this draft. For the very reason that everyone wanted Myles Garrett, Charles Harris was a very good pick at 22. Pass rush is essential ... and the number of guys who can provide lots of that are few and far between. When you have a chance to get one of those guys ... you do it. We did, and he will be a difference maker for us in the pass rush. We picked to the strength of the draft and selected a guy who typically would have gone top 10. Good move.

Tankersley is not a first round CB. But finding guys with his size and length that run 4.4, produce against top notch competition and have that kind of upside is rare. Finding them in the 3rd round is extremely fortunate. It remains to be seen whether he has the work ethic and the mind to master his craft, and whether he is willing to consistently stick his nose in there and tackle. But, press CB's are almost never the finished article coming out of college, so to get one with these kinds of tools and with that much productivity in the 3rd round, we definitely got a value gamble.

I'm less excited about the DT picks, but each has some upside. Vincent Taylor has the explosion to be effective in our system. While I keep looking at Godchaux and wondering if he really is over 300 lbs., at least I see a willing plugger there. The kid has horrible technique, and doesn't really seem to know what he is doing out there, but he does try, I'll give him that.

Burke may have seemed a little silly and giddy in his first press conference .. but I gotta imagine that the draft went far better than he expected with Harris dropping, getting a plug and play stud LB and a CB with crazy tools and upside. Adding potential DT's was just gravy.

a year ago, the glaring weaknesses were LB, OG, DE and DB. We have addressed the defense via free agency and draft.

Back
Top Bottom