2018 NFL Free Agents: Interior Offensive Linemen | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 NFL Free Agents: Interior Offensive Linemen

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
853637710.jpg.0.jpg

Dolphins free agents
Jermon Bushrod, guard ($3 million per year)
Anthony Steen, guard ($615,000 per year - ERFA)
Jake Brendel, center ($495,000 per year - ERFA)

Top Free Agents (by current contract salary per year)
https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/1...ards-center-luke-joeckel-dj-fluker-evan-smith

I've always liked Xavier Sua-Filo. He had a down year in 2017 so his price tag could be very reasonable. I would like to have a 2018 o-line of Pouncey and Brendel at center, Quinton Nelson, Davis Sua-Filo and Larsen at guard, James, Tunsil and Smith at tackle. That's a decent line and decent depth. Fill out the running back and tight end spots and the offense would be a handful.

Any conversation about free agent guards begins and ends with Andrew Norwell, anyone who hasn't heard of him - Google him, he's exactly what we need. Hopefully we can get him.
Man would I love to have him here, but he will be out of our price range.

Norwell way to expensive for us. He will likely be the highest paid guard in the NFL after FA.

I've always liked Xavier Sua-Filo. He had a down year in 2017 so his price tag could be very reasonable. I would like to have a 2018 o-line of Pouncey and Brendel at center, Quinton Nelson, Davis Sua-Filo and Larsen at guard, James, Tunsil and Smith at tackle. That's a decent line and decent depth. Fill out the running back and tight end spots and the offense would be a handful.
I can't see Davis not starting somewhere on the line next yr

I don't think we're doing much with the o line unless we trade/cut James. Personally I would rather trade/resign him than cut him. I think we might just carry him under the option.

I expect Bushrod and James gone. I also expect us to get ONE free agent only for the o-line and I believe they will roll with the young players they have now.

Ozzy rules!!

Not a great crop really. But I've always admired Justin Pugh. Not an awesome player, but a solid guard who has a lot of poor tape as a tackle. The desire for position flexibility might keep his price low, and he still has a good 5+ years of productivity in him. Given this poor market, I'd have to wait and see what type of numbers he commands. We definitely need to add 1 more starting interior offensive lineman at a minimum. Depending upon other moves, maybe as many as 3 new starters. Not to mention upgrading depth.

Bushrod will be gone (retire hopefully), and I'm inclined to keep Jake Brendel. Anthony Steen will be on the bubble. He has had ample chances, but doesn't seem to be anything more than a journeyman, and at some point he will be replaced by someone with more potential. I see him as a barometer of how this staff views its OL talent. If he stays, then we clearly over-estimate our talent for the umpteenth year in a row. If he is replaced, well maybe just maybe the front office realizes that our overall talent level along the OL is not good enough.

If we trade/cut James I wouldn't feel comfortable starting Davis at RT even if he did look good in spot duty. Still too raw, if he struggles that might ruin him.

So, even then, it'd be a RT we'd be looking for.

You guys better warm up to Larsen and Davis at OG cause those are your starters next year.

If we cut/trade James I would look at Cameron Fleming. I don't think he will stay in NE cause he knows he'll get paid starting money somewhere and I don't think the Pats will pay him that.

He could be had for less than James but again I just don't see us cutting him. What's the point with signing the option if you're cutting him later, negating any compensatory pick we could have gotten for him?

Why is everyone so eager to dump Ja'Wuan James? I think that he can still be a good contributor, the issue is finding his real worth and not overpaying. Correct me if I'm wrong but up until his injury, I think he was one of our best O-linemen.

Why is everyone so eager to dump Ja'Wuan James? I think that he can still be a good contributor, the issue is finding his real worth and not overpaying. Correct me if I'm wrong but up until his injury, I think he was one of our best O-linemen.

I know! Not one of the best, but THE best. PFF ranks him second among RTs.

The only 2 spots that should be a given are Tunsil LT & Davis RG.
It willl be difficult to fill 3 spots so keeping James at a decent price makes sense.
Sign either Jansen or Pugh and fill the other spot in draft.

The only 2 spots that should be a given are Tunsil LT & Davis RG.
It willl be difficult to fill 3 spots so keeping James at a decent price makes sense.
Sign either Jansen or Pugh and fill the other spot in draft.

With Brendel, the love Gase professes for Pouncey, the fact he played all 16 games and all the other holes we have I don't see us making a move for a C.

LG might be the only position we MIGHT upgrade but with our finances the way they are, I don't see us spending much more than we already are in Larsen, which is not much.

If a lineman offers good value in the sixth, that might be the only new one we get. Unless we trade James which is possible IMO.

Back
Top Bottom