2018 Off-season changes | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Off-season changes

What I don’t get is if the team really doesn’t have Landry in the long term plans (which it kinda seems that way) why did you not trade him at the deadline?

Franchising him will command a ton of cap so not seeing that, maybe Mike T wants to go with trade him later or get the comp pick route game.

Good effort Czonk- basically aligns with a lot of my thoughts as well, which I have also already posted. Sucks were already on to 2018 in most of our minds

Probably because they believe that if he leaves in free agency the compensatory pick will be higher than what they were being offered at the trade deadline.

What I don’t get is if the team really doesn’t have Landry in the long term plans (which it kinda seems that way) why did you not trade him at the deadline?

Franchising him will command a ton of cap so not seeing that, maybe Mike T wants to go with trade him later or get the comp pick route game.

Good effort Czonk- basically aligns with a lot of my thoughts as well, which I have also already posted. Sucks were already on to 2018 in most of our minds
I am guessing they would get at least a 3rd round comp pick by him leaving free agency so unless they get a 1st, hang onto him. Personally I am ok with that, we are still in the hunt and trading Jarvis would waive the white flag.

it may be just me but Landry seems to be symbolical of 5-7yd passes. He absolutely can be dynamic at times but I feel he kind of defines our identity.
I really want an attacking aggressive style offense which is kind of opposite of him. yes it all hinges on out OL, but if reasonable I resign him, but anything other I do not

Matt Moore
Jay Cutler
Nate Allen
Stephone Anthony
Jermon Bushrod
Jakeem Grant
Matt Haack
Mike Hull
Bobby McCain
Koa Misi
Mike Pouncey
Julius Thomas
Michael Thomas
Alterraun Verner
Damien Williams
Sam Young

Agree with this entire list except for Anthony. They like him and will continue to develop him. Made an investment, so I'd at least give him a full camp/preseason to show what he's got.

Whether you’d like to see changes to the WR corps or not, changes there will be. Landry will not be here next year.
I don't think they'd just let him walk, but then again this is an extremely stupid front office. Have a feeling he gets tagged.

I like the OP's post. However, I'm still paying Matt Moore the $1mil he makes as he's the only backup in the league that can come off of the bench and win a game. No more evidence needed as look at every team that lost their starter. It's not big money to keep him. He hasn't made big money for a couple of years now.

I don't think they'd just let him walk, but then again this is an extremely stupid front office. Have a feeling he gets tagged.
That seems like a worse move than just signing him to a new contract since you're going to have to pay him a ton and for what? Nobody has a clue what Tannehill is going to be like when he gets back. Nor whether the holes at RB, OL, and in the secondary will be effectively patched. Why is it so essential to pay Landry a ton of money just to be back for what may well be yet another transition year and another 8-8 finish?

If he's worth the big money, then give him a new contract and pay him. If he's not, then let him go.

Great post. I've been thinking the same thing as I don't expect much the rest of the way. I don't mean that to be negative, but the team just doesn't look good and hasn't had that "turn the corner game." Maybe Miami gets that this week and surprises.

Hard to disagree with anything you've said. I would add that Suh's contract is up shortly and this is a good draft for defensive tackles. That's one position I'd love to see the team stay dominant at.

The team looks closer to a total rebuild than a team on the verge. Lots of needs. I would like to see Miami get the best defensive player available in round one and then go almost exclusively offense the rest of the way. Price is high on my list as well and the tight end need is obvious.

If Guice from LSU is there in R1 that might be hard to pass up. Free agency should be mostly about adding depth, but maybe the team can get a starting caliber offensive lineman.

The one change we need above all else wont happen

O line is easily the priority...an average O line at least allows you to effectively run the ball...we cant have 10-15 carries of 1-3 yards and hope for 2 or 3 30 yard runs, we need to be able to consistently run for 3-4 yards a clip...I swear I watch every other team playing and they run the ball so much better than we have this season...I hate it

equally as important is giving QB time to throw the ball down the field...no use in having Stills and Parker if they cant get more than 15 yards downfield...think of how much a decent to good run game opens up play action and passing..... everything starts up front with the line, if you cant run the ball AND stop the run, you wont do jack $hit in the NFL...at least we have been much better stopping the run this year

prob need another TE and FS early in the draft too or early days of FA....

These would be my offseason priorities:

1) Fix the damn OL once and for all. That means replacing both Pouncey and Bushrod with better players. We'll see how Larsen does, and Asiata might help too, but I see us getting at least two new starters next year.
2) Find a better Plan B at the QB position. No more Moore as your backup. We need someone with upside who Adam Gase can develop.
3) Draft a new starting RB and TE.
4) Try to find upgrades at the slot corner and FS positions.
5) Re-sign Hayes, keep Timmons, and get more depth for the front 7.

I still think with a decent offensive line this team could be a playoff team. It's such a glaring weakness and costing the team big time. No time for quarterback to throw, for wide receivers to run their patterns and very few running lanes. I have to wonder if Ajayi would still be here as well if the offensive line was performing.

Fix that and the team has a chance. And by fix I mean at least top half of the league.

Great post. I've been thinking the same thing as I don't expect much the rest of the way. I don't mean that to be negative, but the team just doesn't look good and hasn't had that "turn the corner game." Maybe Miami gets that this week and surprises.

Hard to disagree with anything you've said. I would add that Suh's contract is up shortly and this is a good draft for defensive tackles. That's one position I'd love to see the team stay dominant at.

The team looks closer to a total rebuild than a team on the verge. Lots of needs. I would like to see Miami get the best defensive player available in round one and then go almost exclusively offense the rest of the way. Price is high on my list as well and the tight end need is obvious.

If Guice from LSU is there in R1 that might be hard to pass up. Free agency should be mostly about adding depth, but maybe the team can get a starting caliber offensive lineman.
He's halfway into a 6 year deal, so not sure where this came from?

O line is easily the priority...an average O line at least allows you to effectively run the ball...we cant have 10-15 carries of 1-3 yards and hope for 2 or 3 30 yard runs, we need to be able to consistently run for 3-4 yards a clip...I swear I watch every other team playing and they run the ball so much better than we have this season...I hate it

equally as important is giving QB time to throw the ball down the field...no use in having Stills and Parker if they cant get more than 15 yards downfield...think of how much a decent to good run game opens up play action and passing..... everything starts up front with the line, if you cant run the ball AND stop the run, you wont do jack $hit in the NFL...at least we have been much better stopping the run this year

prob need another TE and FS early in the draft too or early days of FA....

Spot on. Miami has a lot of talent at the wide receiver position, but you wouldn't know it because they rarely have the time to run routes. The offensive line needs to be the concentration this offseason, especially with Tannehill coming back off an injury. You want to protect him better than ever.

Back
Top Bottom