350 carries for Miami Dolphins’ Jay Ajayi: Realistic? Sustainable? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

350 carries for Miami Dolphins’ Jay Ajayi: Realistic? Sustainable?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

Dolphins coach Adam Gase talks with running back Jay Ajayi during OTAs. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)
As the Dolphins’ future goes, this issue is as serious as it gets, so starting the discussion with a bit of levity has therapeutic benefits.

The subject is coach Adam Gase’s vision of possibly giving Jay Ajayi 350 or more carries this season, a number so big that offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen couldn’t resist a wisecrack.

“Hearing Gase say 350 carries, we’re going to have to increase his medication right there,” Christensen said
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ami-dolphins-jay-ajayi-realistic-sustainable/

Not sure where all the extra offensive snaps/touches are going to come from
unless this offense dramatically improves from 31st in total 1st downs and 31st in converting 3rd downs.

This offense Averged 57 offensive plays a game last season
LAST IN THE NFL, So bad that you have to go back to 2010
Tennessee Titans for less offensive plays.

Hopefully the new tight end, better offensive line play,
better wide receiver play,more total 1st downs, better at
converting 3rd downs will allow us to
increase our offensive
plays by 150 or more.

Those days are over, thankfully so. After watching Lamar and Ricky get pummeled to death I never want to see a back subjected to that every week. I suspect Gase is smart enough to vary the offensive attack on what is working that day, and there are enough offensive weapons on this team for that formula to be completely different from one week to the next. If this is going to be a good team there should be games where Ajayi gets 25+ carries and games where he isn't even on the field as much as Drake.

18 games is only 20 carries a game, easy.

Oh, ye of little faith

I think he should get 17-18 a game.

Let Kenyan take 4-6 reps to give Jay a rest and not see huge dropoff of talent.

Sorry guys for the Drake love. I think Drake is a beast that might never see his chance with us.

What a difference a year makes!!

Those days are over, thankfully so. After watching Lamar and Ricky get pummeled to death I never want to see a back subjected to that every week. .

Ricky yes but Lamar?
The 4 years he was a starter for us he had carries of

Miller started in 62 total games for 14 carries a game average
not what I'd call pummeled to death.

Heck Ajayi had 260 carries but had only 18 carries in the first 4 games
when he was in the dog house and would have far surpassed any season Miller had with us.

If J-Train goes down we are in trouble. I don't think DWill and Drake will be as effective.

Ricky yes but Lamar?
The 4 years he was a starter for us he had carries of

Miller started in 62 total games for 14 carries a game average
not what I'd call pummeled to death.

Heck Ajayi had 260 carries but had only 18 carries in the first 4 games
when he was in the dog house and would have far surpassed any season Miller had with us.

Perhaps he meant Lamar Smith? 622 carries in two years and was the back right before Ricky came along.

He would have been closer to that Last year had he come on sooner. Plus the offense last year didnt generate a ton of extra snaps.

Its not the same situation as Ricky where he was doing all the work, we actually have a passing game so I say give Ajayi whatever he can handle as long as hes effective....take it on a game by game basis.

I remember Wandstadt jumping on Lamars back after that epic Colt victory. What an idiot. Smith could not get out of bed for two days and was ineffective against the Raiders the next week.

300. Every running back to ever carry in the upper three hundreds was about as effective as a one legged man in and ass Kickin' contest the next season.

I want Ajayi here the next 5 plus years. The odds are way against him if he goes that route, it blew up Smith when he was here and even Ricky Williams a extreme talent struggled beating his body up that much.

Just looking at Ricky's 2002 year (he lead the league with over 1800 yards) and he had several games over 30 carries and a majority of games over 25 carries. I don't remember the games at all, but wonder if his style and the offense ran in Miami is what is punishing. Just hand it to him and smash it up in there. We don't run that style of offense, though Jay is that type of RB. I do think Jay should take lessons on how to fall, watching some clips of last year and he falls on his shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom