4th quarter clock management... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

4th quarter clock management...

McMichael

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I have not seen this mentioned yet but I want to first say that I am not as down on this team as everyone else apparently is....we looked really bad the first 5 weeks of last year before winning 9 out of 11 games. The jets were at home, rested and fired up while we have traveled more than any team in the league at this point... The jets were winless and clearly playing harder than Miami...The Dolphins are entitled to an off game without all the doom and gloom, hell multiple very good and even great teams lost to "inferior" competition this Sunday....its the NFL, it happens.

However with that being said what the hell was with the fourth quarter clock management? When we were down 20-0 with 9 or 10 minutes left I saw them literally running the play clock down to five or six seconds every snap??? Why in the hell were we not trying to get it snapped as quick as quickly as possible to have a better chance to win? It was almost like the entire team gave up and resigned themselves to the loss once they were down 20-0 even though that's ridiculous when there was so much time left in the 4th quarter...hell if those last 2 drives where we turned it over were a play or two different that Parkey missed XP could have potentially been for the win... Losing is one thing, but seeing the players AND coaches seemingly give up when the game wasnt even out of reach yet is shocking to me.. Hope we got it out of our system I still think we have a shot at 9-7 and a wildcard birth no teams look dominant right now.

We're the only team in league history whose no huddle actually chews a chunk of time off the game clock. It's unreal considering how much these drills are practiced.

The Dolphins are entitled to an off game without all the doom and gloom, hell multiple very good and even great teams lost to "inferior" competition this Sunday....its the NFL, it happens.

Good morning & thanks for your post...
I think what you are missing is that it was not just a "bad" game...It was a downright embarrassing display of ineptness that could only be caused by not preparing for the fight. If they had moved the chains and made mistakes that killed drives for 3 1/2 quarters you could say "bad game". I saw 3 1/2 quarters of no effort,terrible play calling,missed tackles,blown or non existent pass coverage and honestly unprofessionalism at an alarming rate.

The Dolphins are entitled to an off game without all the doom and gloom, hell multiple very good and even great teams lost to "inferior" competition this Sunday....its the NFL, it happens.

Good morning & thanks for your post...
I think what you are missing is that it was not just a "bad" game...It was a downright embarrassing display of ineptness that could only be caused by not preparing for the fight. If they had moved the chains and made mistakes that killed drives for 3 1/2 quarters you could say "bad game". I saw 3 1/2 quarters of no effort,terrible play calling,missed tackles,blown or non existent pass coverage and honestly unprofessionalism at an alarming rate.

My guess is that considering IRMA, our mid-season bye, having to travel out to LA, etc. Gase was taking it a little easy on the guys concerning practice. If true, I can understand trying to help our guys recover and rest as 16 games straight is going to take it's toll. That said, Gase will obviously have to adjust and we will have to really practice because players probably can't just flip a switch on Sunday and play with intensity. Solid practices will help them build the intensity they need for game day. The good thing is we have a strong locker room, so Gase won't have to say a thing. They all know they are going to have to be ready to work this week. Playtime is over.

Hey, now that I see it, I kind of like that for a new Dolphin slogan this week. Playtime is over.

Last edited:
I have not seen this mentioned yet but I want to first say that I am not as down on this team as everyone else apparently is....we looked really bad the first 5 weeks of last year before winning 9 out of 11 games. The jets were at home, rested and fired up while we have traveled more than any team in the league at this point... The jets were winless and clearly playing harder than Miami...The Dolphins are entitled to an off game without all the doom and gloom, hell multiple very good and even great teams lost to "inferior" competition this Sunday....its the NFL, it happens.

However with that being said what the hell was with the fourth quarter clock management? When we were down 20-0 with 9 or 10 minutes left I saw them literally running the play clock down to five or six seconds every snap??? Why in the hell were we not trying to get it snapped as quick as quickly as possible to have a better chance to win? It was almost like the entire team gave up and resigned themselves to the loss once they were down 20-0 even though that's ridiculous when there was so much time left in the 4th quarter...hell if those last 2 drives where we turned it over were a play or two different that Parkey missed XP could have potentially been for the win... Losing is one thing, but seeing the players AND coaches seemingly give up when the game wasnt even out of reach yet is shocking to me.. Hope we got it out of our system I still think we have a shot at 9-7 and a wildcard birth no teams look dominant right now.
Was literally yelling the same thing at the screen. :facepalm

Not sure if the Timmons fiasco could have a role? It certainly pissing off Gase. Could there be a division in the locker room as a result of him wanting to play for the Steelers? These guys have just got their homes and families uprooted, traveled more than any other club to date and have lost keys players prior to the first game. Instead of this hopeless display yesterday, I was hoping the team rallied around these challenges to become unified and "us against the world" mindset. Just didn't happen.

I was shocked...I know we were technically in a no huddle at that point but i mean walking up slowly to the line then taking another 4-6 seconds to snap it?? Saw nothing of the sort when the Patriots were coming back on Houston, Brady had them up to the line and ready to run the next play so much quicker than us it was ridiculous...

I was shocked...I know we were technically in a no huddle at that point but i mean walking up slowly to the line then taking another 4-6 seconds to snap it?? Saw nothing of the sort when the Patriots were coming back on Houston, Brady had them up to the line and ready to run the next play so much quicker than us it was ridiculous...
Oh yea, Brady, Aaron Rodgers take advantage of these lackadaisical or ineptness in opposing D's. We are not situationally aware and that goes for Tany Jay and Gase. We need that in our lives we just don't have it yet. And with Gase calling plays he seems focused on the next set of play calling versus the big picture of what's going on in the game at the moment. I see it as a problem.

Not to state the obvious, but there's a difference between no huddle and up-tempo. That said, yeah, everyone, including Gase, seemed disinterested.

Oh yea, Brady, Aaron Rodgers take advantage of these lackadaisical or ineptness in opposing D's. We are not situationally aware and that goes for Tany Jay and Gase. We need that in our lives we just don't have it yet. And with Gase calling plays he seems focused on the next set of play calling versus the big picture of what's going on in the game at the moment. I see it as a problem.
Them and Big Ben consistently are smart enough to take shots on free plays, quickly get to the LoS to snap the ball on beneficial questionable plays, and take advantage of the opposition having substitution issues.

Multiple times just not executing. Cutler stepped up in the pocket had room in front of him for the first down and he throws a pick. Miami could have kicked a fg early in the 4th and they went for it. Defense next drive shuts the jets down and we get the ball back. We plain old didn't do crap. Bad calls all day. A td with no time averted a shutout. No goose eggs here.

I actually mentioned this on game day couldn't believe that in our no huddle offense we were snapping the ball with 5 or 6 seconds left on the clock. Long time since I have sat there screaming at the TV like I did Sunday.

So you have that microphone that goes into the quarterback's helmet on your TV too?

Yeah, I don't know why they were just so god awful slow there. Reminds me of Donovan McNabb during that Super Bowl where T.O. was awesome on one leg, he just was soo slow when they needed to be fast.

Back
Top Bottom