5 Miami Regular Season Losses That Still Irks You | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Miami Regular Season Losses That Still Irks You

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Name your 5 regular season Miami losses that still just piss you off when you think about it.

For me in no particular order:

2003- Texans 21 Dolphins 20

Miami was I wanna say like 17 pt favorites against 2nd year Houston. I felt bad about that game when Houston was up 3-0 for the longest time ever. Miami went up 14-3 and all looked well until Miami kept turning the ball over. Very embarrassing loss to and 2nd year team and freaking David Carr.

2000- Jets 40 Dolphins 37

Enough said

2009- Colts 27 Dolphins 23

Dolphins dominated time of possession with the colts only having the ball for 15 mins. Peyton Manning made it look so easy.

2011- Broncos 18 Dolphins 15

The embarrassing Tim tebow day gets even more embarrassing when Miami blows a 15 point lead, and a shutout in the final 3 mins as Denver wins for the first time ever in Miami.

2010-Steelers 23 Dolphins 22

Miami jobbed by the refs as Miami appeared to have sealed the win with a Roethlisberger fumble but Gene Steratore said otherwise...

1993- Week 17 @ NE. It's simple win and we're in the playoffs. Marino was lost for season due to Achilles injury. Bledsoe throws GW touchdown pass season over.

1989- Sammie Smith fresh off a fumbled TD attempt on a goal line dive in a home game vs the Oilers; lightning struck twice as THE exact thing happens a week later at home vs the Chiefs.

2007- The infamous home game vs NE. They're blowing us out we score 2 quick TDs, they proceed to run up the score. We lose several players in this game to season-ending injuries.

2000- Monday Night Miracle in the Meadowlands. All I'll say is that I lost the football pool that week because of the game. Basically $125 down the drain. To a 23 year old back then that $ could've lasted a while.

2003- Season opener vs Texans. Crazy irony is that my firstborn is approx 12 hours old and I find out that it's televised locally(resides in Redskins country). Didn't watch the game of course enjoying first-time fatherhood. I'm pissed because I saw the highlights later and Ricky had a great game that was in vain losing to the fresh off an expansion year Texans franchise.

Sorry about the last one

The loss to Green Bay in Miami about 3 or 4 years ago. Philip F'king Wheeler matched against their TE.
We had played pretty well but Aaron Rodgers shredded us in the final minute to come from behind. This was the game that fully exposed the shortcomings of Joe Philbin's coaching. Poor time management. Poor positional matchups. Old Joe was close in this game but he didn't know how to win it.

Last edited:
1993- Week 17 @ NE. It's simple win and we're in the playoffs. Marino was lost for season due to Achilles injury. Bledsoe throws GW touchdown pass season over.

1989- Sammie Smith fresh off a fumbled TD attempt on a goal line dive in a home game vs the Oilers; lightning struck twice as THE exact thing happens a week later at home vs the Chiefs.

2007- The infamous home game vs NE. They're blowing us out we score 2 quick TDs, they proceed to run up the score. We lose several players in this game to season-ending injuries.

2000- Monday Night Miracle in the Meadowlands. All I'll say is that I lost the football pool that week because of the game. Basically $125 down the drain. To a 23 year old back then that $ could've lasted a while.

2003- Season opener vs Texans. Crazy irony is that my firstborn is approx 12 hours old and I find out that it's televised locally(resides in Redskins country). Didn't watch the game of course enjoying first-time fatherhood. I'm pissed because I saw the highlights later and Ricky had a great game that was in vain losing to the fresh off an expansion year Texans franchise.

Sorry about the last one

God that 2007 game vs New England was awful. 42-0 halftime was it?

Ones that haven't been brought up yet:

1986 Jets 51 Miami 45. It was a historic game would have like to been on the right side of it.

1989 Bills 27 Dolphins 24. Opening day and we lose on the last play of the game.

2002 Bills 38 Miami 21. Ricky ran for 228 yards 2tds and we couldn't give him any support

Ones that haven't been brought up yet:

1986 Jets 51 Miami 45. It was a historic game would have like to been on the right side of it.

1989 Bills 27 Dolphins 24. Opening day and we lose on the last play of the game.

2002 Bills 38 Miami 21. Ricky ran for 228 yards 2tds and we couldn't give him any support

Ugh what a waste of Ricky's talents in that Bills game. Bills always have mediocre WRs that have big days vs Miami

No particular order games that I've witnessed in my time as a phins fan

2009 Miami vs saints 46-34
We were absolutely destroying the saints somehow we let them back into the game one of the worst Miami losses ever

2003 Houston game we let an expansion team beat us embarrassing

2003 mia vs New England 19-13
Game went into overtime tom Brady threw an 82 yard touchdown pass in overtime to beat Miami

2014 GB vs Miami 27-24
Anyone who seen the last drive knows why haha

2014 Denver vs Miami 39-36 we were in the playoff hunt Miami was dominating Denver in all facets of the game but as usual the dolphins allowed a team to come back and beat us I was furious with this game made furious this is the day when I thought philbin should be fired

And a runner up for some humor
2006 Miami doesn't sign drew Bree's

On a positive note my favorite dolphins win all time was 2004 Miami vs New England 29-28 led by an feeley that's my most memorable game such a nail bitter loved the entire game while Brady was getting destroyed all night

For me the most painful game was marino's last playoff game. 62-7 to Jax. Made us look like we didn't belong.

snowplow game 1982
Patriots again in 2002 to knock us out of the playoffs
2010 Steelers Rape-lisberger fumble
Monday night melt-down with the Jets 2000
Patriots one more time in the 900-yard passing game, 2011 opener

Monday night miracle...even though the whole experience was fun for me, fond memories until the end, ouch, never been so miserable leaving a movie theatre, half drunk to boot.

2016 week 1 - should have won that game, gotta catch that ball.

Sorry about the last one
The Sammy Smith debacle was in 1991, not in 1989. And the fumble against the Oilers was at home, in the game before the bye-- I know because I was there.

The last game of the 1991 season was worse. Loss to the Jets in overtime that sends them to the playoffs instead of Miami. And what a letdown season sandwiched between two very good ones.

1991 - lost to Jets last week of season and missed playoffs. (Combined with blown lead and loss to San Diego week before). Olivadotti specials.
2003 - Home vs Pats in overtime. This game permanently sent both franchises in opposite directions.
2000 - Jets MNM.
2002 - lost to Pats last week of season to miss playoffs (combined with loss to Minnesota week before). Pats weren't even that good yet.
2013 - Combined losses to Bills/Jets to finish the year to miss playoffs.

The Sammy Smith debacle was in 1991, not in 1989. And the fumble against the Oilers was at home, in the game before the bye-- I know because I was there.

The last game of the 1991 season was worse. Loss to the Jets in overtime that sends them to the playoffs instead of Miami. And what a letdown season sandwiched between two very good ones.

The week before at the Chiefs, Smith fumbled at the 1 yard line for a 99 yard return. His career was effectively over a week later v. Oilers.

Going way back, I remember a 10-7 loss to Bert Jones and Baltimore that put Miami at 10-4 for the season and out of the playoffs. I believe that was 1977.

Same year, the Dolphins lost early in the season 20-19 to Houston. So the Dolphins were that close to finishing 12-2 with possible home field advantage. Tough season to end 10-4 and not to advance to the playoffs.

That Monday night loss to the Jets and blowing a big lead was hard to take as well. That was probably the worst officiating I have ever seen in the NFL with phantom pass interference calls fueling the New York comeback.

Back
Top Bottom