7 Best Miami Dolphins offseason additions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

7 Best Miami Dolphins offseason additions

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
titans_dolphins_football_04.jpg

But it’s early. And the season is long. And so, for now, the list:
1. William Hayes, defensive tackle, 32
— (Acquired via Trade from the Rams on March 10 for a sixth-round pick). Hayes has been one of the best under-the-radar acquisitions in the NFL. He has played a key role in Miami’s turnaround from the league’s 30th-ranked rush defense to 4th-ranked rush defense. Last year opponents averaged 4.8 yards per rush and this year it’s 3.5. And not only does Hayes bring a sound approach to run discipline, he pressures the quarterback and is a respected veteran leader.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/10/18/7-best-miami-dolphins-offseason-additions/

Gotta give credit where credit is due - Hayes, Timmons, and [likely] TJM are transformative additions to this defense. Not to mention how significantly Kiko's play has been elevated in a more natural role.

Tank replacing Maxwell has been an upgrade and pleasant surprise.

A good list overall. I find it funny he will not list Julius Thomas, Raekwon McMillan, Ted Larsen, or Jay Cutler, but will list McDonald.

Gotta give credit where credit is due - Hayes, Timmons, and [likely] TJM are transformative additions to this defense. Not to mention how significantly Kiko's play has been elevated in a more natural role.

Tank replacing Maxwell has been an upgrade and pleasant surprise.

Very true on the difference this has made -- all the above, with Jones stepping back in at safety. Miami's D looks better than it has in a long time.

Now if Gase found a way to value interior OL, Miami might become a fairly well-rounded team. Perennial playoff team, potentially.

LD

I have it

Timmons
Hayes
Charles Harris

Harris over tank cause I don't think tank has been tested all that much by a high level boundary wr yet

X seems to be getting most of that

I have it

Timmons
Hayes
Charles Harris

Harris over tank cause I don't think tank has been tested all that much by a high level boundary wr yet

X seems to be getting most of that

At the very least Tank is playing like a solid #2. Not bad for a rook who was expected not to contribute this season. The problem is X is also playing like a solid #2.

Either way it’s fantastic not having Maxwell in the field. He was a total liability with his off coverage, not to mention causing communication issues in the secondary.

I've got tank 4th

He has played like a solid #2 to date

Played better than tony lippett did last year who looks like he's gonna be coming back to a 3rd boundary role

Last edited:
I've got tank 4th

He has played like a solid #2 to date

Played better than tony lippett did last year who looks like he's gonna be coming back to a 3rd boundary role

will be nice to have a hungry lippett and some acutal competition assuming the achilles doesn't kill the athlete there

I'm very pleased with Hayes and think that list is solid. But I would add that I still have high hopes for McMillan and have not given up on Asiata, who has not earned a starting spot apparently.

But dont sleep on TJ McDonald. He was dominating in pre-season and im expecting him to show up that way when he comes back ... fresh and healthy when everyone else is weary and dinged up.

Fans gave up on Ajayi in his rookie season, and I told everyone to hang on, because the kid is good, and he is going to show it eventually. Well, I'm saying the same thing about Asiata. Don't give up on him yet, because the kid has good talent, and he will show it eventually.

Parkley #1. He won us two games already. Take out TJMc, have to see him play first. Add Taylor, in regular rotation already.

I hope Miami signs Hayes long-term. What a tremendous trade. Godchaux is the biggest surprise as most probably figured he'd be a rotational guy at best. Tankersley has been really, really good. Harris is coming along nicely.

Too bad the offense needs so much attention because I'd love to see the team add more talent on the defensive side and make that a championship unit.

Very true on the difference this has made -- all the above, with Jones stepping back in at safety. Miami's D looks better than it has in a long time.

Now if Gase found a way to value interior OL, Miami might become a fairly well-rounded team. Perennial playoff team, potentially.

LD
I think that's a combination of Gase and the front office using New England as a model. The Patriots have had a lot of success plugging in offensive lineman drafted later. Part of that may be the quarterback and his ability to maximize the talent around him.

Unfortunately, Miami hasn't been able to find offensive lineman in the mid to late rounds very often. I can't think of any over the last five years or so. Jury is still out on Asiata, but not a good sign that he is warming the bench when other lineman are stinking it up.

Back
Top Bottom