9-7 Season would be Miracle

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinfreak, May 27, 2007.

1. phinfreak

phinfreak Well-Known Member

Lets face it.

First year HC and staff
    No QB right now
    New offensive system takes year to implement, second year to execute
    Unsettled O Line, including LT
    Same slow WR until Ginn breaks line up but then he is a rookie

This is just evidence the our phins are indeed rebuilding. It will take 1 or 2 more drafts to catch up to New England, San Diego, Colts, Denver and others.

I would be happy with a 9-7 season.

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Ready for Henne.

That was the beleif when Satan became the head coach too. But he went 9-7 his first year

3. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

If you look at back at that season. The fins could have finished much better if they would have just made a handfull of fewer mistakes...

4. DC8

DC8 Active Member

Well, this might be true but the same exact situation was faced by the Saints last year and they turned out alright.:wink:

5. kaylashubby4lyf

kaylashubby4lyf Ronnie23Brown

if C-Pep is healthy, Ronnie has a good year, the line actually blocks, Chambers goes back to being a probowler and if the aging defense pulls it together for another year, id say maybe a 10-6 season maybe even 11-5, and a 1st or second round loss in the playoffs, but if something goes wrong i think we're back down to 7-9 or 8-8

6. VT Dolphan

VT Dolphan Pro Bowler

:lol:

Maybe if this was fantasy football.

It is gonna take more than 1 or 2 drafts for this team to be considered elite like that.

7. MassMiamiFan

MassMiamiFan Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good summary right there :tongue:

8. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

First of all we dont have that bad of an offence we have just had a lot of diffrent coachs the past five years Chambers is the best WR we have on our team and no Defence can play Chambers one on one or you can just throw it up to him and he will jump over the Defencive player like he did in the Pro bowl a couple years ago and team have to score agianst our Defence To win the Game our Defence could be the best in the legue this year and the O-line isnt that great but they are getting better our QB isnt selted you have that part right but i think the QB and the O-line is the only thing the dolphins need to work on the be a 9-7 team and probly better and Trent Green has a really good chance of being a miami Dolphin and that would settle our QB Sution for this year at least and maybe a couple more year and he would be a good teacher for John Beck and maybe next year we could get Allan Fanica so i think the dolphins could be a really good team by next year and i think they will be a 8-8 team this year

9. BillsFanInPeace

BillsFanInPeace FinHeaven VIP

Right now IMO your team is a 6-10 team at worst. Couple of them losses will be close though and could go either way so I would have to guess RIGHT now you are 8-8 team at best and 6-10 at worst.

obviously I reserve the right to change that as the off season progresses

10. kegman

kegman Starter

DAmmm i hate to agree with a bills fan:tongue:

11. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If we are able to get better play from the QB position, 9-7 is a disappointment......nothing more. If you think anything less, you are not really paying much attention.

12. DUB

DUB Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

We have a great D. We need consistent QB play and an average offense and can win games.

13. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 A True Fan

I'd agree with everything here exact the Culpepper notion. I think it's time to come to a consensus that Culpepper isn't the man wanted for the job here. It would be awesome if he came back and lit up the field, but I just don't think it will happen, let alone him be given the oppertunity to do so. If Trent Green plays like he did preconcussion and the line holds up at all, we are 10-6 or 11-5 IMO.

14. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 A True Fan

A slow WR group that has 2 guys who both run faster than a 4.4. Yeah, they are just sloths huh?:rolleyes2

15. jlfin

jlfin old pro

CC runs in the mid 4.3's. Assuming we have Trent Green and a solid O-line this team could compete for a playoff spot. You are living in the 1970's if you think it takes 2 yrs to compete.
    You mention the Chargers. They turned it around in 1 yr. They have been pretty good for 2 seasons. 3yrs ago they were a team considered to have a weak defense. Their O-line was re-built in one year, they solidified the QB position, got Gates and rebuilt the defense through the draft.

16. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

the defense should keep us in every game. we are only a bottom tier team if we turn the ball over.

17. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

Any room for optimism with CC, Ginn, Brown, the OL, the D, etc is all tempered by the QB situation...No matter who takes the snaps, they are basically unproven...Green - Concussion, poor second half of last year, and age. Cpep - will he be healthy enough in time to show Cam he can rebound from the knee, is the knee going to be sound enough to take the rigors of a season, can he change his style of play to that which Cam will obviously want him to execute. Lemon - inexperience, bounced around for 5 yrs with nothing to show for it, limited arm, but some mobility, even tho he knows the system, he'll still have to show more poise than he's been able to in his career to be a legitimate starter in the NFL. Beck - Rookie, inexperience coming from a very productive college career but not against even the best competition in college, questions about his arm and durability. Has great upside, but so did Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, etc...Hamdan - best guess is camp fodder...

So, where does that leave us ?? With too many questions unanswered right now to really make an assessment of this season...when we get into camp and we get some resolution on the QB situation..perhaps we can make some more accurate predictions....

18. Phanatical

Phanatical Official Daunte Hater

In today's NFL you can go from last in your division to first in a year. The offense has been completely reshuffled. I can just as easily see this team go 11-5 as I can see them go 5-11. Have a fun season!

19. bwb8605

bwb8605 Scout Team

i would be happy with a 9-7 season, but i think claiming it would be a miracle is a stretch. you never know, and that's one thing that is great about football. The Fins may go 9-7. They may go 14-2, or they might go 3-13. Football can defy logic

20. Phanatical

Phanatical Official Daunte Hater

Well summarized!

21. DolphinsFan23

DolphinsFan23 Pro Bowler

Assuming we don't get hit with a rash of injuries, I don't see a problem with us at least going 9-7 ... especially with Cam calling the plays. Just like last year, it's going to come down to the QB, the Oline, and the DBs.

I know I'm going to be pissed if our receivers drop a lot of good passes like they did last year. I doubt they'll do it this year. I want our WR coach to make damn sure that they aren't dropping passes this year. Drill the heck out of them until they catch anything within 15 feet. Drill them in realistic conditions in scrimmages in the bubble with the crowd noise recordings cranked up, etc. Drill them with a Jugs passing machine and those other drills like you see at the combine.

http://thejugscompany.com/products/product_detail.cfm?product_id=278&gclid=CLjAg_b3sIwCFREQgQodfVyVKA

Get all the DBs in on some of the WR drills too. I want them to get some damn interceptions this year! We need us a few Pro Bowl DBs. Every good NFL team has at least one.

22. jhortondj2

jhortondj2 Well-Known Member Donator

23. Kinzua

Kinzua A True Fan

Hmmm....

1. OL ... OL ... OL ... Miami's OL is not going to be improved unless rookies and other untested players step up big time. It appears that the solid right side of the line has been downgraded in order to help shore up the left side, and the depth behind the starters is so thin and unknown as to be nonexistent. If Vernon Carey goes down, Miami will be lucky to win more than 2 or 3 games after that.

2. QB ... :egads: ... Trent Green looks eerily similar to Daunte Culpepper -- a QB with big stats but not a lot of playoff success coming off very serious injury. In Green's case, he was awful after he returned ... In Daunte's, he was awful before he was injured and awful afterward ... Neither fits well behind an OL that's going to struggle, especially early in the season.

3. HC ... Here's another great big question mark. This is Cameron's first NFL HC gig, so nobody knows how he'll do. Many great coordinators don't do well as HCs, and then there's the other nagging quesion of was Cameron's success in San Diego because of his talent or the talented players he had to work with?

4. AFCE ... New England has added a LB and a bunch of WRs, so they should be better. The Jets added a bonafide RB and got some defensive help. If Penny holds together, they will be in the hunt. The Bills went through the growing pains of learning a new defensive system and a new offense last year. They've solidified their OL, added a young RB and a new MLB. If the Fins win more than 2 of their 6 games against AFCE opponents, it will be a bonus (they won only 1 last season).

At this point, 9 wins would be significantly over-achieving.

24. MiaDolfan2399

MiaDolfan2399 Starter

Right, the bills have one decent season and all the jill fans want to wet their pants over it. We will finish 3-3 in the division this year. And how do you expect to be any better when you lost most of all your playmakers. And whos to say JP Losman is going to play as good as he did last year the bills are nothing but one big HUGE question mark. Atleast we are on the road for success this year, unless things happen such as injuries etc.

25. Aussiefinfan54

Aussiefinfan54 Pro Bowler

yeah i am not a huge fan of chambers but he is not a slug by any means. i think our D can bring us through to a playoff birth as long as the offence can just stay sound, they dont have to be great just not totally **** and we have a decent chance of making it.

26. Kinzua

Kinzua A True Fan

That could be said about any team at this time of year. Moreover, I didn't say the Bills would be better than Miami, I said if Miami won more than 2 games in the AFCE, it woud be a bonus. I'm sorry if that hurt your feelings but in 2005, Buffalo went 5-11 and they still almost swept Miami -- and the Fins didn't have an easy time with the Jets either, and they would have been swept by the Pats, except that the Pats didn't play full out in the last game of the season. The fact is that divisional games are always wars, and Miami hasn't done well against AFCE opponents in the last 5 years or so.

Isn't this the same thing that Miami fans said in 2005 and 2006 with Saban?

27. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

lets see last season we got 6 wins with...

new offensive philosophy ran by a guy with the mental capacity of a dead monkey...
    horrible QB play
    unsettled Oline especially LT
    same slow WRs

this year the QB play cant possibly be worse, if anything it will be equally as bad.. our offensive philosophy will be 129387129 times better than last season which is huge being how many games mularkey theoretically cost us... we have some new playmakers and wont be afraid to run the ball...

our offense is already better than last year, even just counting mularkey out and Cameron in with playcalling...

and our defense is better... joey porter is a huge addition, our young secondary with another year together and the secondary calls simplified some which will remove the confusion and busted plays that ****ed us last year...

so we're a better team offensively and defensively of a 6-10 team, i can see that adding 3 more wins... i wouldn't call 9-7 a miracle

28. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife F-A-L

Would i be happy with a 9-7 season this year? Probably. But it wont take a miracle to reach it. We have a good team. BUT, taking everything you said as a factor, yes we might not have a 12-4 team. But certainly i wont be shocked if we go 9-7 or even 6-10. We SHOULD finnish anywheres from 6-10 to 10-6. Im hoping we can improve at least a game over last season.

29. nikeair497

nikeair497 Well-Known Member

past two seasons we were only a few plays from a 10 win record. Our penalties the first year.. our oline the second held us back.. was always something to keep us from getting over a hump. However, I do believe a 9-7 record would be on target but far from a miracle.

30. musphinzfan

musphinzfan Pro Bowler

Again like last year Miamis DEFENSE alone should win atleast 7-8 games...They are that good...If Miami's offense can control the clock and not turn the ball over they should win 2 maybe 3 games.

No reason for this team to not win 9 games so i am going with 10-6 barring injuries...JP is the key to this defense haven that "Killer Instinct".

Anything less will be a disappointment.

31. Antoni

Antoni FinHeaven VIP

Agreed but the one thing that will remain static is the tough schedule we got. Not only are we playing in arguably the toughest division in the league, we also get to play you and the Pats on the road in December and in the cold, whereas you play in Miami in late Oct-Nov without the heat. Then in the second half of the season we play @ Philly and @ Pittsburgh and host Baltimore and Cincinnati. All tough games obviously.

So even if we do get Trent Green, it's still going to be very very tough to go 10-6 given the schedule.

32. BrooklynDave

BrooklynDave Rookie

WTF is a Bill Fan (in Peace) doing trolling around a Dolphin's Site? Oh, right.... they live in Bufallo.

33. phinfreak

phinfreak Well-Known Member

I think youre not paying attention. WE HAVE NO QB!!! How can "the QB position" play better? Better than what? Again in case youre still not paying attention...WE HAVE NO QB!!!!

34. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral King of the Wild Frontier

Right now there are just too many questions to have an idea of what will happen.

Are we getting the dominant Joey Porter, or the Joey Porter on the downslope?

Are we getting a pro-bowl caliber QB in Trent Green or an aging QB that wasn't the same after his concussion?

Is this the year Taylor and/or Thomas lose a step?

Is Carey athletic enough to play LT?

Can Martin replace McMichael?

If we get most of those breaks our way then this defense should be good enough for this team to contend for a playoff spot. How many people thought we'd go 11-5 and win the division when Wannstadt/Fiedler replaced JJ/Marino?

Of course, if Cam/Mueller are wrong on most of these things, then we'd be lucky to avoid the cellar.

35. BillsFanInPeace

Though for some reason I am less concerned about your QB play than Fin fans. I think DC (although IMO is a bad QB) will be fine. Also Trent (IMO has lost alot) making the DC and Green sit a push.

For one I look at the Oline. I seen strides toward the middle and end of last year. And not everything is jumbled around. At worst you will have 2 or 3 new starters and from what I can tell not One playing in the position they did last year.

I would not be surprised that your best Oline will be a Rookie. I do not think Carey will feel comfortable at LT for awhile. Shelton at RT is a joke and should stay inside or be off the team. This Unit will be the Liability until mid season when they might start to gell. And because of this You could have Payton Manning behind center and be in trouble. All starts here and i think you regressed in this position.

36. BillsFanInPeace

Blah Blah

I am here because I enjoy talking football with Rival Fans

37. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran bad spelur

Dave... he brings football, be nice. You'll find all you want in the Depth's if you want to smack.

38. Tony305

Tony305 Scout Team

Are we getting the dominant Joey Porter, or the Joey Porter on the downslope? Joey Porter > Donnie Spragan. Nuff said

Are we getting a pro-bowl caliber QB in Trent Green or an aging QB that wasn't the same after his concussion? We've had some of the worst QBs come thru here, so u know what that's like. We have promising young talent, which we've not had before.

Is this the year Taylor and/or Thomas lose a step? Taylor no, Thomas yes

Is Carey athletic enough to play LT? Absolutely

Can Martin replace McMichael? Yes, McMichael was struggling ever since he got that new contract, Goodbye.

Will we be 9-7? I doubt that, but i can dream!

39. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

No kiddin. Some people are completely lost. This is no where close to a mediocre team. This team is really good. With avg QB play we go 9-7 at least. With good QB play were a playoff team. I think thats what we can get with Green. 9-7 would be disappointing. When you have a top 3 defense all you need is avg offense and you win 9 easy. Terrible play at QB with Culpepper got us 1-3. Almost avg play at QB with Harrington got us 5-5. And Cleo was about the same and we went 0-2. This is a good football team folks. Its a shame some of you dont realize were really only a couple of players away from being elite.

40. Dolfan32323

Dolfan32323 Troll Carcass Removal Unit

1st) Cute dog.

2nd) There is nothing wrong with BillsFanInPeace. We are all free to talk Dolphins football here no matter what team you support. Since you are new here, I reccomend you check out the Depths if you want to talk smack.

41. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Tay is exactly right. And youre right that we have no QB. Thats why were getting Trent Green. Id expect him to be at least avg which makes us a 9 or 10 win team. If Green plays as well as he is capable then we make the playoffs easy. Dont tell me what if Culpepper does because for one he wont be on the team and secondly the best he can play would get us 4 wins maybe.

42. DolphinsFan23

DolphinsFan23 Pro Bowler

Man, I hope that David Martin is better than McMike. McMike was pretty good in my opinion ... just too many drops last year for some reason. Martin better not be dropping a lot of passes this year or the fans might lose it. Those dropped balls really got to me last year ... especially those easy ones that hit them on the numbers.

On a positive note, I hear that Martin has some good speed and fairly good hands. I read that he could run low 4.5s when he came out of college. Not bad for someone his size. Randy said a lot of good things about him in his interviews during the draft. I hope Martin is working hard on his blocking in the offseason and training camp. That's a weak area for him I heard. Gotta have it for a tight end. I want to see him "knocking fools out" on those running plays like Reagan Mauia says. We need our whole Oline to be Juggernauts this year. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiMUKfSKIQ

43. WoodStrock81

WoodStrock81 Rolf Benirschke Sucks!

They'll go 1-5 in the division and 4-6 against everyone else. Probably winning only 1 road game. They're going to be a poor team this year, defense will keep all games close and winnable though but the offense will be dreadful and fail to get the team wins.

Sound familiar?

SAME THING EVERY YEAR

Edit: 4-6 not 4-7 against everyone else, poor math :lol:

44. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

I'm gonna be hopeful this season is a good one. Whatever happens, happens. It's beyond my control all I can do is support the team.

45. WoodStrock81

Expect 10 weeks of pre-season football, followed by a mini-run of quality football, followed by a let down at the end. Like you're watching a movie for the fifth time.

46. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

I'm just gonna take a wild stab a this, but I guess you think the Bills are better then the Dolphins too right?

47. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Respect yours and everyone elses opinions but I really think you are WAY off.

I think we are fortunate to be playing lesser opponents early. You are right in that aspect that the line and receivers will be learning a new scheme. Fortunately we are getting Trent Green and our QB will be up to speed within a week or so.

The D is the same so I really like our chances to start hot and finish well as our offense gets better and better. If we had to play the tougher teams first then we could very well be in trouble early. Its quite possible the line makes some mistakes and kills a few drives early in the year. Lets just hope it dosent get Trent injured. Im glad he throws the ball unlike Culpepper.

I can see alot of running early in the year to limit mistakes in pass blocking and hence negative plays. That should get us enough points to win most of these early games. Let our D carry us. Then the 2nd half of the year have the offense clicking by then to take on the big boys. Start winning with all phases of our team. Open it up on some people after weve used these early games to get our rhythm down in the passing game.

48. WoodStrock81

Green is a durable QB who's proven he can play. He's also proven he can play without recievers, which is good because in sunny Miami no recievers EXIST. However, in Kansas City Green had a terrific offensive coordinator, system and offensive line. He also had an incredible running game to take the pressure off and make the KC passing game a little more lethal.

Dont get me wrong, Ronnie Brown is a solid back, but with this o-line and these receivers and in the first year of this system, i'm not seeing Priest Holmes or Larry Johnson like years. We dont have an extremely athletic TE who is almost an automatic TD when you get to the 15 yard line because of his jump ball skills. So Green is going to come to Miami with even less weapons, in a system he is familiar with but few other players on this team are.

The defense is a top 10 unit. But at the same time it's not a defense that is going to carry the team like the 00 Ravens or 02 Bucs. There are considerable holes in the secondary, and we've struggled with creating turnovers too.

With Green at QB we have a QB who is more cautious with the ball. So if we dont turn it over we should be ok. But i just cant see this team putting up any points, and i dont think our defense is strong enough to deal with that. Plus we play a lot of quality football teams this year. The Patriots and Jets twice, the Bills who we always struggle with twice, the Eagles, the Cowboys and we lose a home game for the London game, which could go either way even though the Giants suck.

Realistically, and i am a realist, i dont see how anyone could have this team winning at most more than 8 games.

They'll win 5-6, still not have the QB of the future and will probably have to take one next year. Which baffles me why you dont take Quinn even if he is still a project.

49. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

We won that many games last year with Harrington and MM, You don't think Daunte or Green and Cam can win more?

50. WoodStrock81

Well it's hard to imagine that Jason Taylor would be able to elevate his play like he did for those games we won last year. Especially if we're still very frustrated on the offensive side of the ball. Again, thats the period of time during last season when the defense was forcing turnovers. They dont do that normally, if they dont again this year, we wont win games even if Green is miles better than Harrington.