A Cap Insider......... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Cap Insider.........

Briefly, as of 1/15/04

Miami has 54 players under contract and $92.060 million allotted to 2004 cap.

Buffalo has 51 players under contract and $67.442 million allotted

NYJ has 51 players under caontract and $78.777 million allotted

NE has 45 players under contract and $78.622 million allotted

54 players means Clint Stoerner' $455k is not included yet. My numbers are $1.282 million more than the $92.060 million posted. :)

I don't think Adam's numbers include the cap adjustments either. Seems the only adjustment numbers to come out are the one's that teams used to transfer unused cap room to the next year. Since it was just one or two players near the end of the season it was probably very easy to track. Probably important for the NFLPA to observe.

I asked him on KFFL if he thinks the loophole will be closed and he said he doubted that it would. Minnesota is getting a $10 million credit on 2004. It basically allows a team to deliberately stay way under and then use the loophole to transfer unspent cap dollars to the next cap year. I think it needs to be closed.

BTW: His text states that they do not include tenders nor cap adjustments

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
I asked him on KFFL if he thinks the loophole will be closed and he said he doubted that it would. Minnesota is getting a $10 million credit on 2004. It basically allows a team to deliberately stay way under and then use the loophole to transfer unspent cap dollars to the next cap year. I think it needs to be closed.

Continually transferring unsued cap space is a nice idea if you finally use it. Otherwise it's just a security blanket.

Signing a large contingent of FAs is not the best way to assemble a team and will screw up the salary cap in the long run.

Look at the Eagles who use this loop hole every year but let go their aging stars and replace them with drafted players while trying to keep a good nucleus of players together. IMO the Dolphins do a good job of this, its just time to have some vets take pay cuts or be replaced with cheaper FAs or preferably through the draft.

Dang, I was never aware of that loophole. Didn't know that your unused cap just rolled over. That is huge.

Originally posted by Muck
Dang, I was never aware of that loophole. Didn't know that your unused cap just rolled over. That is huge.

so arizona has unlimited cap space? :lol: jk.

i can see the vikings snatching a lot of big FA.

Originally posted by Muck

Unused cap space is lost unless a team utilizes the described loophole

Originally posted by Fisticuff

so arizona has unlimited cap space? :lol: jk.

i can see the vikings snatching a lot of big FA.

You'd think so, but Red McCombs hasn't shown much of a tendency to spend on other players. He gave Culpepper and Moss their paydays, but I can't recall a time when he spent big bucks on another team's FA.

The loophole, then, is interesting in this way: the teams that would need it/use it the most are the teams that won't get it. The teams that get it are teams that are cheap anyway, and thus wouldn't use it. Paul Tagliabue...smart man.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Briefly, as of 1/15/04

Miami has 54 players under contract and $92.060 million allotted to 2004 cap.

Buffalo has 51 players under contract and $67.442 million allotted

NYJ has 51 players under caontract and $78.777 million allotted

NE has 45 players under contract and $78.622 million allotted
So THERE, Clump! Citing your own sources, WE'RE WINNING!!!

Back
Top Bottom