A Closer Look At The QB Battle

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fishfanmiami, May 9, 2012.

1. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

2. Canuck Phin Fan

Canuck Phin Fan Well-Known Member

3. Loy170

Loy170 Member

Will definitely be interesting to see play out. I'm still leaning towards Moore starting as he played pretty well over the course of last season and has starter experience while having Tannehill as the main backup, having clean up duty during no pressure situations to get him some work during this season to get up to speed ready to fully start next season. Garrard has been a solid QB over his career but his advanced age and missing a lot of time due to injury last year makes for question marks as to his health and current starter ability. He should still be able to have quality starts should any injuries occur but I wouldn't trust him to hold up the entire season.

4. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I can see Moore starting the season and RT given some playing time throughout the season. RT may know the playbook right now better than Moore, but Moore knows NFL defenses better than RT. RT need some time to get used to the speed of the game.
    Garrard will not like playing 3rd fiddle. If he shows well in the preseason, he will likely be traded or released..getting picked up by the NY Jets or Patriots to study our play book.

5. fishfanmiami

David G. could surprise. My understanding is Moore never looks very good in practice but shines come game time. i thought he played well at the end last year but Philbin MAY base everything on practice habits and the pre season games. If David or Ryan shine Moore may be the odd man out.
    David does have some experience in the WCO so who knows?

6. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

The issue with Garrard(Who I think who was a better QB than Moore before his back issues) is his back. Those back injuries never completely heal, he will probably just do the best he can and not complain.

7. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

If Philbin bases his decision on preseason play, Moore probably outplayed the entire league last year with 6 TD's in the preseason. I don't see that as being a problem.

8. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

no one has a snowballs chance to beat out tannenhill. I think he is just too good and its going to show in preseason.

9. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Davis Garrard is 34 years old with a bad back.

Matt Moore is in his prime.

Ryan Tannehill is a rookie.

This should not even be close but come game day, Matt Moore will be the better QB.

10. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

I feel the same way. I think Tannehill is going to show more than Garrard and Moore, even as a rookie.

11. FinsFan2421

FinsFan2421 Member

I think Matt Moore will end up starting but i wouldn't mind if Tannehill started, Don't know much about Garrard so i can't comment on him

12. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

I would think that the fins will have to let their new toy play even if the team struggle a bit, they should have enough defense to keep the game manageable until Tannehill is ready to unload, I see Garrade getting cut also. Tannehil needs to play and and let the future start now! That's why they went out and got him right?

13. Loy170

Loy170 Member

Just look at what the Tennessee Titans did last year with Jake Locker. Coincidentally he was also taken with the 8th overall pick like Tannehill and he sat behind Matt Hasselbeck even though he was an experienced multiple year starter at Washington. There is still a precedent for teams to be patient with their rookie quarterbacks as opposed to starting them right away... in the end it all hinges on Tannehill himself and if the coaching staff trusts him to be ready. Us fans will have to be patient and see.

14. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

No, it was not.

15. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

Tannehill may shine early but it would be prudent to let him watch and learn defenses behind Moore. I don't see Garrard winning the starting job.

16. Fund80

Fund80 Member

we had a winning record under Matt Moore he deserves a shot.

17. fishfanmiami

i believe he was 6 and 6 total going 6 and 3 the last nine games.

Not bad at all but who know how effective he will be in the WCO. i believe Philbin that there is an open competition this year. May the best QB win.

18. phinasota

phinasota Bleed Aqua

For real? Gerrard is garbage! What did he have... one good season? Then wehen they paid him... oh yeah, back to garbage. Not jumping on you for your statement this article brings up that he is a legitmate threat in this competition. I just dont see that at all so I would disagree what he is saying here. Moore will definately beat out all of these guys.

19. fishfanmiami

My preferance would be to start Moore with Tannehill playing toward the end of the year and in the future but Philbin may not see it that way.
    If Garrard's back is healthy and he plays better in training camp and preseason he may be the starter. I don't think they know who the starter will be yet. Ryan may blow them both away and take the job for himself. Should be fun to watch.

20. Dsteve

Dsteve Well-Known Member

Matt Moore sucks. We gain nothing from playing Matt Moore. What can Tannheill learn from more? how to chuck up ****ty deep balls, drop snaps from center or just flat losing when we play a team with a winning record?

21. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Garrard gives Miami the best chance to make the playoffs if he can return to his former self. Moore good for 6-8 wins if he starts. If Tannehill starts Miami will be in prime position to add a blue-chip player in next year's draft.

22. Scottg247

Scottg247 Member

IMO. Moore starts. I think we would all like to see Tannehill start right away and be sucessful. Thats why we drafted him right? But I think Philbon is the type of coach not to rush a QB in. This is purely speculation but I think Gerrard is there incase Moore gets injured and to now help Tannehill with some facets of his exp as a QB. Moore wasn't as horrible as I thought he would be last year and he very well might be able to be successfull for this year while Tannehill develops. Tannehill needs some exp and some time.

23. airmaxx28

airmaxx28 Member

Matt Moore deserves the starting job

24. Scottg247

Scottg247 Member

Why do you think he deserves it? Has he earned it yet? I don't see it. I agree he probably will start the season but deserve it I don't really know yet.

25. Michael Fei

Michael Fei Well-Known Member

In his career, Matt Moore has started for coaches John Fox and Tony Sparano.

I think he deserves at least one opportunity to start with a coach who actually knows QBs.

26. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I think David Garrard wins the starting job. I always felt he was underrated considering the offensive talent in Jacksonville. Garrard has the mobility and better accuracy than Matt Moore. Moore had a knack for the big play, though, and that can't be overlooked. I'd be surprised if Ryan Tannehill wins the job this year, but he could see some action at the end of the season.

27. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

He is 34 freaking years old. Let's sign Jerry Rice for him to throw to............

28. PyroDOLFAN

PyroDOLFAN Seasoned Veteran Donator

I don't really think age is the biggest problem with Garrard (IMO its not a factor at all). If you have the talent then you can play. I'm not going to sit here and compare him to Favre, Testaverde, or Warner...all of which were old starting QB's along with Brady, Peyton, Hasselbeck etc. Because he isn't as talented as some of them.

Having back problems and other issues would be a problem. Can he hold up and does he have the skill set to run our offense?! That is my concern. But I really don't think calling him out on his age is either intelligent or fair for an NFL pro athlete.

29. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

Garrard is better QB for the WCO than Moore.

30. Dsteve

Dsteve Well-Known Member

garrad is better than moore. Moore has done nothing to deserve anything here. he went 6-7 (counting the chargers game has was in for 3 and half quarters) , he never broke 300 yards, he was never asked to win games and our team average about 20 points a game if not less last year.

dump the bum moore and let tannehill start. I'd be happier with garrad over moore if tannehill can't play.

31. fishfanmiami

How old was Pennington when he came here ? With Tannehill here it's a short term gig for Garrard or Moore as starter anyways.

32. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

He was 31 I believe. Chad Pennington is the NFL's all-time leader in career completion percentage at 66.0%, among quarterbacks with at least 1,500 pass attempts.[SUP][/SUP] In 2008 with the Dolphins his 67.4 completion percentage lead the NFL and broke the Miami single-season 64.2 by Dan Marino in 1984. He finished the season with a passer rating of 97.4 which is 6.4 points higher then Garrard's highest rating.

I do not see the two players or situations to be alike. Garrard not only has Crohn's disease but missed all of last season to have surgery on his herniated disk. As far as being a WCO QB, he said " I was in it for a little while when Bryon (Leftwich) was the starting quarterback", which does not sound like he has a lot of experience with it.

But I'm willing to let training camp and preseason decide who will be our starting QB or starting anything.

33. fishfanmiami

As it should be.

34. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

Let training camp and the coaching staff work things out. But I would do it similar to how Shula brought Marino along. He let Woodley play and then started Marino mid season. This gave Marino training camp and the first half of the season to get used to the speed of the NFL.

I suspect Moore will start, Tannehill will be the backup, and Devlin 3rd string or PS. If we're struggling to win games with Moore, Tannehill may replace him mid season. I've never thought much of Garrad as a quality NFL QB, so IMO he will be cut or traded.

If it plays out this way Devlin moves up to backup next year, and draft a QB for 3rd. This would set the Dolphins up for QB for a few years and stop the wondering about our QB situation.

35. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

Marino came in on Week6 after Woodley got hurt. Shula didn't plan to play Marino that season. I don't disagree with the rest.

36. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

this is going to be awesome.i dont care who wins the job just as long as we WIN

37. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

You guys seem to forget about rookie growing pains, unless our D is lights out, we probably need to start a vet this year and let Ryan play when we can.

38. fishfanmiami

That and I would not mind waiting till AFTER our O line has jelled a little. Best case senerio is Moore or Garrard play well and we don't need Tannehill at all this year.

39. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

David Garrad's highest passer rating as a full time starter was 102.2 in 2007 when he led Jacksonville to the Divisional round of the playoffs.

40. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

Let the best guy win. It'd be awesome if Tannehill blew everyone's doors off in camp and became the de facto starter before preseason, but who knows.

Competition rocks.