A Designer's Take on the New Phins Logo

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NyPhan23, Dec 28, 2012.

1. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

Hey Guys, I don't usually like the logo threads bc every year they are fruitless and full of people just wishing they'd change the logo (myself not being one of them, hence the reason these threads annoyed me). But since this year they actually are changing the logo, I figured I'd give it a go since it's what I do for a living. Anyways... I am one for continuity and am not crazy about changing the logo, so I tried to keep it as similar as possible, just cleaned up a bit. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to make the helmet look good on this logo as I am a fan of the helmet on the dolphin and the tradition it represents. Oh well :/ Also... I borrowed someone else's jersey background to see what it might look like, hope whoever it was doesn't mind. So here it is, yet another logo thread, sorry to those who are tired of these.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

That's actually really good. My honest suggestion? Clean up the right flipper and fire it off to Mike Dee ASAP.

3. PASQUALE

PASQUALE Seasoned Veteran

I like it. But give it a true eye and drop the right fin down. That would be awesome!!!

Here are mine :

View attachment 9677 View attachment 9678

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
  4. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

Ya it's still a little rough, I did it kinda quickly as far as logo designing goes anyways

5. adrianbello360

adrianbello360 Active Member

Id agree with this comment above me, but I also if you added the sunrays in between each original ray that was added to the leaked logo I would run with it man. It looks great

6. state06

state06 A True Fan

has more potential than the leaked one. Definitely send it to Mike Dee at least as something to play with.

7. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

I am intrigued.

8. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

Personally, as a designer, i hate the extra sunbursts on the logo i think you are referring to... they remind me of using starbursts that my stupid bosses will tell me to use who know nothing about design haha. They're just there to be there I feel like... simpler is better in my opinion... not to mention sticking closer to the brand we already have established.

Glad you like it though :)

9. RickyBess3415

RickyBess3415 Well-Known Member

I love it, but I think the eye should be a different color than teal for contrast

10. estreetnj

estreetnj Rookie

you've got my attention

11. RickyBess3415

RickyBess3415 Well-Known Member

What does it look like if the eye is white or another color besides teal?

12. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

This is way better then the leaked one. Submit ASAP.

13. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Does the dolphin really need an eye ball? Can't it be just presumed there, like in nyphan's.

14. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

That dolphin looks like it's dead. I hope like hell that isn't going to be our logo

15. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

This also bothered me a bit too, the first time I tried to adjust it before originally posting this it wasn't really working for me... just tried again and I liked how it came out this time :) ... I updated the link in the original post to show it with the new eyes. It's a work in progress... was just goofin around.

16. PorrotheDolfan

PorrotheDolfan Die Hard Fan

I think it looks great, my only suggestion is to play with the direction his eye is looking, Im not a fan of how he looks with his eyes pointing up, I think for him to look straight would look better. Just something to play with.

17. PASQUALE

Make it look like this designer and this it the one. Bravo!!!!

I tried but you can do better. Submit ASAP to Mike Dee

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  18. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

made some minor adjustments to the tail... I think they improved the overall shape

[​IMG]

19. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I'm glad you said it because that was the theme I was going to post. When I was a teenager my beloved dog was hit by a car and killed. In fact, it was on Super Bowl Sunday, the year the Raiders defeated the Vikings. The guy who found my dog thoughtfully put him in a little box. I brought him home and reluctantly decided to take a look. Everything was fine except the right side of his face was dented and lifeless, with a dull look to his eye. I've had that image in my mind for 35 years. But nothing has reminded me of it until I saw this proposed logo. Instantly it looked exactly like my dog.

That being said, it's still markedly superior to the leaked version, which looks worse than a dead cat. Actually I'd prefer every cat to be dead...

20. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

I don't like it. Again, it looks like a cartoon character which is mostly due to the eye itself. The right fin is just strange looking, and overall the animal is just too skinny - it looks like a minnow with a dorsal fin to be honest.

This is not better than the current or original logo, so why change to this?

21. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

I really like the tail down like you have it. The eye doesn't look right though.

22. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It's a v. good effort, but I think you should try to make the eye a little more ... mean?

23. PASQUALE

[​IMG]

I tweaked his but, I am not good at drawing. I wanted him to see if he could do something like mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  24. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Much better than the one that was just circulated.

25. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

I like this much better than the one that was leaked. If the team wants to create excitement and support they need to get the fans involved with the process. Have the fans send in their own designs then post up the top 10 submissions for all the fans to vote on.

26. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

Sorry but I have to defend myself at least a little on this one... here's a photo of the dolphin I used as a reference for the logo... as you can see it is nearly identical in shape, if not fatter.

[​IMG]

Dolphins are not fat animals despite what our current logo has to say... and if I made it fatter others would be saying it looked like a whale (see leaked logo). Can't please everyone, and in response to your comment about why change it to this... that's my point. I wish they wouldn't change it unless they went with the old one, everyone will never be happy, some will love it, others will hate it. I was just having some fun at what I thought someone might do mixing a little bit of the old (more of an aqua) with the new with a little difference sprinkled in. Would I want this logo on my Dolphins helmets? Simply, no... I like things the way they are, but if they must change, this is just something I was foolin around with is all.

Haha, thank you for likening my efforts to your dead dog from 35 years ago :D it's very flattering... glad you like it a little bit anyways.

Ya, I thought about doing something more like this, I chose a Dolphin with a perspective from underneath as a reference because I thought it made more sense if you were looking up at him since the sun was behind him (in the sky). But maybe if I have some more free time, which never seems to be easy to come by these days, I'll mess with tweaking the right fin since that seems to be a topic of concern. And it does look pretty good in your edits.

27. Kevlared

Kevlared Well-Known Member

this is without a doubt the best logo i've seen. this needs to be submitted.

28. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Dolphin is too skinny versus length....I like the basic concept, but adjust the proportions and I would like it better.

29. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

With all due respect, photo's can be deceiving.

I own a Dolphin Adventure tour boat and see them daily, while the current logo is too fat, yours is definitely too skinny versus length.

30. phins9

phins9 Member

wow , this logo is awesome! How can fans create better logos then the guys running this team?

31. One Love

One Love star traveler ✨✨ Donator

Dude awesome I dig, I dig it! Have you already sent it in yet? Also what are you doing with the right fin? Haha the logo is great don't get me wrong but if I had to be critical I would bring the fin down. Oh and dude could you make one with the sunbursts just to show us how it looks?

32. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Nice Job its pretty good.Theres is 2 effects i would change and they are not very big changes.

First I would change the arch of the Logo more.The Dolphins looks to long for the Helmet.

The last would be the face...Give it a meaner looking face(although Dolphins arent really mean)with the eyes glowing in orange.

33. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

Really don't like the head. Looks like an anime character, and anime is horrible.

34. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

very very nice i would be fine with this

35. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

It is not bad to me. It isn' the answer either. Thank you for the effort. If there is another design coming from the FO, I'd hope that it knocks my socks off. This one does not do that.

36. One Love

One Love star traveler ✨✨ Donator

oh man don't try and ruin this for me!

37. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

heh ya, i was tryin to get an angle from underneath him, so it was like you were looking up at the sun, so the right fin got a little funny... idk just another approach to it i guess. I'm probably gonna mess with it and try bringing the fin down though

38. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

Give it back the helmet.
    Drop the older sun behind it.
    Make the dolphin squattier, kind of like the old logo. It looks like a trout.

It isn't bad though. I like the line work on the dolphin.

39. fishmaster

fishmaster Member

Great job!

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

True

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Mine too

40. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Very nice. I'm with you on traditional, but open to positive changes as well. I like some of the Nike color schemes, particularly the dark blue helmet, and I'd also like to see a changed version of the striping on the helmet. Maybe do away with the striping or go aqua only as one stripe in a more unique design. Overall, I do like our uniforms and logo.

41. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Nice job. I hate to see people doing logos where they try to make the dolphin something it isn't, mean or angry or fat or with humanoid features. This dolphin design reflects the positive characteristics of the animal itself- purposeful, fast, elusive, intelligent.

id be interested to see it in front of a solid orange sun, rather than the ring we've had all this time.

well done.

42. anson

anson Active Member

Nice job. I like it. A little traditional with some modern flare.

43. Elliott316

Elliott316 Rookie

Awesome job

44. capobvious11

capobvious11 Member

Is there any chance of the logo actually changed?

45. FinsFan74

FinsFan74 Cement Shoes Distributor

The one with the red eye is BY fAR the best design in my opinion

46. Semedi

Semedi Pro Bowler

A nice effort, but something about is bothering me that I can't quite place my finger on...

The face looks off somehow. Either it's too slender, or the perspective seems skewed to me. The shape of the body feels a bit off as well, something about the thickness of it also seems too thin at parts. I'm not a fan of the right fin pointed up as well, it just kind of blends into the body and creates noise for me. Maybe it's all those minor elements coming together that has me feeling down on it. I certainly like the style and approach you took to it though (although I agree that I prefer the phin with a helmet).

47. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

The eye looks awful. I wouldn't like this logo at all if it was the one chosen.

48. zackmandude63

zackmandude63 Poconos Phinatic!

Nice work!!