A Few Combine Thoughts............ | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Few Combine Thoughts............

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
1) Alex Smith checked in at 6'4" 217 pounds, now while I agree he could add a few pounds, Marino was 6'4" 224, so its not like Smith at 20 years old is that far from ideal weight.

2) I was impressed that Braylon Edwards ripped off 22 reps of 225 pounds, they said he got a standing "O" after. This is a special talent, and it doesn't appear to be roids.

3) Ronnie Brown was very impressive with his speed/size combo, running sub 4.4 40 times at 233 pounds is Bo Jackson like.

If we don't draft a QB, which I hope we do, I think it has to be either Braylon Edwards or Ronnie Brown if we use the #2 pick.

I don't normally think a runner should be drafted that high, but Brown appears to be a special package, so I include him in my top 4.

Good Info man...heres some more though

Darren Sproles put up 23 reps of 225...which is two more then carnell williams did.

Brandon Jacobs a running back originally from auburn who was not far behind carnell and ronnie brown transfered to Southern Illisnois where he could be the starter showed up a about 10-15 lbs. more then he was projected to be at 267 lbs.

Walter Reyes came in weighing only 212 lbs. which is bout 10 lbs less then he did in college

David Baas did 29 reps on the bench and is now recieving strong consideration from the Bills, 49ers, Chiefs, Redskins, Lions, Browns, Seahawks and Rams!

Nick Saban on Matt Jones
Saban said he looked forward to Jones graduating and said that Jones was more responsible for his team winning than any other player in the SEC.

I tell you what... If we do decide to take a QB I hope Smith is there, he is a huge risk, but if it pays off he will be great great talent.

I might be the only one who may feel this way but i think he benifitted the most from leinart not entering the draft cause immediately his stock soared into the first round when he was considered a mid second round pick with his weak arm.

But his intangibles and accuracy do stick out most of all so he has alot of upside

But overall right now rodgers is the better prospect with a better arm and better accuracy

As much as Edwards or Brown would be a great pick...I believe Saban is going back to his roots...he's going to pick defense...and the only player worth the 2nd pick...if we can't trade out of it...is Merriman. Merriman is the perfect player...A Saban type player that can play in a 4-3 or 3-4...he's a rock hard 272 lbs, can add another 20 lbs with no problems on his frame...and should run a 4.5 in his pro-day. That will make him the only defensive player worth the 2nd pick in the first round. GO PHINS!

fishypete said:
As much as Edwards or Brown would be a great pick...I believe Saban is going back to his roots...he's going to pick defense...and the only player worth the 2nd pick...if we can't trade out of it...is Merriman. Merriman is the perfect player...A Saban type player that can play in a 4-3 or 3-4...he's a rock hard 272 lbs, can add another 20 lbs with no problems on his frame...and should run a 4.5 in his pro-day. That will make him the only defensive player worth the 2nd pick in the first round. GO PHINS!

I doubt he'll be deemed worthy of #2, strange that he declined to run at Indy for a player not that well known nationally.

fishypete said:

Derrick Johnson is the best linebacker since lavar arrington to come out of college...if we go defense he'll be the pick

BlueFin said:
I doubt he'll be deemed worthy of #2, strange that he declined to run at Indy for a player not that well known nationally.

Bluefin;

After he got weighed in and measured....don't believe he's unknown...this guy is the real freak....and trust me....he'll be the first defensive player taken in the draft...he's the one real player that teams will trade up for. He did play for Maryland...not some hole in the wall team...and he wasn't invisable...so scouts know him. This is what allen Trieu said of him..."Shawne Merriman is a freak athlete who has moved up as much as any player".
6'4" a chiseled 272 pounds...runs 4.5/40's....yeah, he'll be a wanted player.

fishypete said:
Bluefin;

After he got weighed in and measured....don't believe he's unknown...this guy is the real freak....and trust me....he'll be the first defensive player taken in the draft...he's the one real player that teams will trade up for. He did play for Maryland...not some hole in the wall team...and he wasn't invisable...so scouts know him. This is what allen Trieu said of him..."Shawne Merriman is a freak athlete who has moved up as much as any player".

He did look awesome ... time will tell just how far he moves up in the eyes of GMs. I'm still holding out hope that we can pull off some type of block buster trade to a team that is lusting for Edwards (Vikings/Chargers?) that have two firsts. I'd be willing to send Surtain & our 1st to Boltz for their 2 1sts & a 3rd(Giants) this year and a '06 2nd rounder. With those 3 picks and our own 3rd this year I would consider this:

1a. DL Merriman or one of the big 3 RB's that could still be on the board
1b. DL Erasmux James or one of the top Safety prospects
3a. One of the 2nd Tier QBs(McPherson or Frye?) or RBs(Yake your pick) if we didnt take one in round 1
3b. C Ben Wilkerson(Or Courtney Roby, who I have a really good feeling about, to be our slot receiver)

On a side note, was listening to ESPN radio last night and get this, Kiper thinks McPherson should be looking to come off the board in the 5th or 6th round area. I was a tad bit surprsied by that statement. Did his 40 time hurt him that bad or something? Heck, the guy pulled a quad muscle during the run and still finished with a decent time for a QB.

fishypete said:
Bluefin;

But he hasn't run Pete, so we don't know if his 40 times are legit.

BlueFin said:
But he hasn't run Pete, so we don't know if his 40 times are legit.

Bluefin;

If you asked me today what he will run...I couldn't tell you, but here is Merriman's recorded stats for 2002...weighing 253 lbs he ran a 4.66....10.7ft broad jump, 38.5 verticle. Of course he's now much stronger and weighs in the 270's now. To give you an comparision...Jason Taylor coming out of college was 245 lbs ran a 4.64 and had a 32" verticle.
Merriman works out with La Var Arrington during summer breaks and such...and they are very close...like Brothers. So think of what this kid already knows. He's has 16 teams that are going to have side-talks with him...do you think he's known? Even if Merriman runs the same time...he already better than Derrick Johnson...who weighs at least 20 lbs less than him...and Johnson can't play end.

Kiper thinks McPherson should be looking to come off the board in the 5th or 6th round area. I was a tad bit surprsied by that statement. Did his 40 time hurt him that bad or something? Heck, the guy pulled a quad muscle during the run and still finished with a decent time for a QB.

It could be he didnt impress in the interviews.I want to know more about his Wonderlic and those elusive intangibles.

CrunchTime said:
It could be he didnt impress in the interviews.I want to know more about his Wonderlic and those elusive intangibles.

You can just say it.....hes an idiot. It takes some real blundering to get kicked out of FSU. Others have tried but few have succeded.

BlueFin said:
1) Alex Smith checked in at 6'4" 217 pounds, now while I agree he could add a few pounds, Marino was 6'4" 224, so its not like Smith at 20 years old is that far from ideal weight.

2) I was impressed that Braylon Edwards ripped off 22 reps of 225 pounds, they said he got a standing "O" after. This is a special talent, and it doesn't appear to be roids.

3) Ronnie Brown was very impressive with his speed/size combo, running sub 4.4 40 times at 233 pounds is Bo Jackson like.

If we don't draft a QB, which I hope we do, I think it has to be either Braylon Edwards or Ronnie Brown if we use the #2 pick.

I don't normally think a runner should be drafted that high, but Brown appears to be a special package, so I include him in my top 4.
:)

I am also very impressed by Merriman. He gets added to the "freak" list in terms of physical characteristics, and the fact that he can play end and rush the passer makes him a sexier pick than Derrick Johnson, who may project as solely a middle linebacker at the NFL level.

Back
Top Bottom