A Question for Merman and Clump... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Question for Merman and Clump...

musphinzfan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Lets say the Trade to get Henson goes down and we resign.The 2003-04 season is officially over at the end of Feb so does this mean that Henson's contract will go into the 2004-05 Rookie Sallary pool??

I should have also added that since Henson can only be traded from March 3-noon of the Day before the draft!!...Is this the deciding factor??

Originally posted by musphinzfan
Lets say the Trade to get Henson goes down and we resign.The 2003-04 season is officially over at the end of Feb so does this mean that Henson's contract will go into the 2004-05 Rookie Sallary pool??

That does seem to be the important question for the Texans to sign Henson.

Both Randy Mueller on ESPN and Thomas Cooper on the NFL Draft Blitz both think Henson's contract has to fit in what's left in the Texans' Rookie Draft Pool for 2003 which is approximately $300k.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1725666

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/hensonexplained.htm

Charlie Casserly the Texans' G.M. seems to think that Henson can be signed and traded. I agree with him. Since Henson was not signed by the deadline, the thirtieth day prior to the beginning of the regular season, he can only be signed to a future contract. (i.e. 2004) Reference College Draft Section 4(b)

Since the contract is for 2004, the first year cap amount will count against the Texans' 2004 Rookie Allocation. Entering the Player Pool, Section 3(c) specifically states that signing a rookie from the previous year's draft an amount will be added to the club's Rookie Allocation equal to the lower of the Club's original Formula Allotment for such draft choice or the amount of unused Room under the Club's Rookie Allocation during the League Year in which the player was originally drafted.

Section 3(d) states, nothing shall prevent the Club from signing a player for an amount in excess of the player's Formula Allotment, if the Club has Room available under its Rookie Allocation. This means that the Texans should be able to sign Henson to a larger contract than the $300k that is left over from their 2003 Rookie Allocation.

The downside is if Henson is signed to a first round pick amount they will eat the difference between the cap amount about $1 million or more and the allocated amount expected to be around $300k. This means less of a Rookie Pool to sign their draft picks this year. Of course not picking or not signing some of their lower round picks could or would have to take the hit.

Also remember that a Rookie's contract cannot be renegotiated for a year or August 1st of the following year whichever is later.

It is still Henson's decision if he signs a contract with the Texans and be traded to where he wants to go or go into the draft and take a chance he gets drafted high and gets a bigger contract. What would you do???

The CBA states:
ARTICLE XVI

COLLEGE DRAFT

Section 4. Signing of Drafted Rookies:

(b) If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to the thirtieth day prior to the beginning of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that it signs with such player for the player’s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the player and the Club may only sign a Player Contract for future League Year(s)).

ARTICLE XVII

ENTERING PLAYER POOL

Section 3. Calculation:

(c) If, pursuant to Article XVI (College Draft), Section 2 and/or Article XX (Franchise and Transition Players), Section 13, a Club has one or more Compensatory Draft Selections, an amount shall be added to that Club's Rookie Allocation, and to the Entering Player Pool (notwithstanding subsection (b) above), based upon the amount allotted to selection choices of that round and position in calculating the Rookie Allocation (the "Formula Allotment"). In the event that a Club signs a Player Contract with a Drafted Rookie who was drafted in a prior League Year, an additional amount shall be added to that Club's Rookie Allocation, and to the Entering Player Pool (notwithstanding subsection (b) above), equal to the lower of the Club's original Formula Allotment for such draft choice or the amount of unused Room under the Club's Rookie Allocation during the League Year in which the player was originally drafted.

(d) Notwithstanding the above, nothing shall prevent the Club from signing a player for an amount in excess of the player's Formula Allotment, if the Club has Room available under its Rookie Allocation.

Section 4. Operation:

(a) No Club may enter into Player Contracts with Drafted Rookies that, standing alone or in the aggregate, provide for Salaries in the first League Year of such Player contracts that would exceed the Club’s Rookie Allocation for that year.

(f) The Player Contract of a Drafted Rookie or Undrafted Rookie may not be renegotiated for a one (1) year period following the date of the initial signing of such Player Contract, or until August 1 of the following League Year, whichever is later.

That's very interesting Merman. Thanks, I saw the question earlier but while at work, I cannot research as you have :(

I believe his best option is re-entering the draft unless he REALLY wants to play for a particular team that interested in him. I bet the NFLPA and agent will pressure him towards the draft.

WOW this is great I Really appreciate this!!...

This is the reason why Houston is asking for next years(05)??...right!!??

Back
Top Bottom