A reflection of recent Parcells drafts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A reflection of recent Parcells drafts

dlockz

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
Since we all are argueing about who we will pick or who we should pick, I figured a study of the Cowboys drafts that Parcells was a part of.

2003 nfl draft
1(4)- Terence Newman CB -Solid pick very good NFL CB, Not better than Trufant who was picked 6 picks later but a 1 time pro bowler.
2(38) Al Johnson C- Started 2 years out of 4 , was nothing special but took up space on the line. Lost his job in 2006 , started for Arizona last year, Anquan Boldin WR still on board
3(69) Jason witten TE- Great pick pro bowl TE
4(109) Bradie James LB- Nothing special but a 4th rounder that is a starter at ILB, is solid player
6(178) BJ Tucker DB- Gone after two years, marginal player
7(186) Zuriel Smith Wr-Was returnman , gone after rookie season
7(219) Justin Bates G- did not make team

3 long term starters, only missed on his second rounder. Solid draft

2004 draft

2(43)Juius Jones RB- solid runningback 1 1000 yard season, left as free agent
2(52) Jacob rodgers T-God awful pick, played in 2 games out of league, Max Starks was available.
3(83)Stephen peterman G Cut in 2006, awful pick Stacy Andrews,jacob Bell and Jake Scott available.
4(121) Bruce Thornton CB did nothing out of NFL, Jason David CB a few picks later,
5(144) Sean Ryan TE started 2 games 0 catches traded for 7th rounder
also not a good pick
7(205) Nate Jones CB Hasnt played much but 7th rounder who stuck for 4 years
7(216)Patrick Crayton WR very solid wr for a 7th round pick , started last year
7(221) Jacque Reeves CB turned into a starter last year overrared but great for a 7th rounder.

A lot of wasted early picks but had as good a seventh as you could ever expect. Bad draft though when 4 of your top 5 picks dont contribute at all.

2005 draft
1(11) Demarcus Ware LB great pick all pro player
1(20) Marcus Spears DE mediocre first round pick, Castillo better player
2(42) Kevin Burnett LB been backup so far 2 starts in three years, passed on Lofa Tatupo
4(109) Marion Barber Rb great 4th round pick pro bowler last year
4(132) chris canty DE An ok defensive end , starter though. Trent Cole was still available
6(208) justin Beaurealt CB did not make team
6(209) rob petitti T started as rookie but by default cut the next year
7(224) Jat Ratliff NT started last season, nothing special but a starter non the less and has potential

Draft with two top players but badly missed on mid first rounder and second rounder.

1(18) Bobby Carpenter LB pretty big bust so far, passed on Cromartie and Manny Lawson and Demeco Ryans
2(53) Anthony Fasano TE weird pick with Witten here but has been ok in backup role. Scheffler and Pope were better Te's and passed on some real good players Devin Hester and Jones Drew.
3(92) Jason Hatcher DE developemental player nothing special
4(125) Skyler Green WR horrid pick did nothing
5(138) Pat Watkins S best pick of thier draft started 14 games as rookie
6(182) Montavious Stanly DT did not make team
7(211) Pat McQuistan T still on team
7(224)EJ Whitley G did not make team

awful wannstadt like draft

I would say they drafted some very good players but have had some momumental busts early in the draft. Definately have not shown to be so much above the rest of the league in drafting but have aquired some pro bowl type players such as Witten, Ware and Newman.

Maybe we should trade our second round picks and move up in first with his second round history overall lol.

Notice that Parcells get tunnel vision over guys that fit his 3-4?

Rgardless if they can actually play in the NFL? they just have the right size/skillset?

I've said it from day one, Parcells scares me, when he has the power with the picks, he does not do very well.

Hopefully Ireland will have more say.

I believe that Bill and Ireland will make the picks together with input from Sparano....this is a deep draft at corner,OT and DE and there're a few good TE's so I'm hoping we'll do well.

Ozzy rules!!

thanks for the research.....but I don't agree with the many of the comments. Overall, I don't agree with the whole 'passed on player x player y'. It completely ignores need and fitting the system. As good as a player as lofa tatupu is, he wasn't a fit for what Parcells looks for in a LB.

'Trent Cole was still available'....lol. First off Canty is a stud. Second, I would absolutely LOVE to see Trent cole try to play DE in Parcells' 3-4 defense...not gonna happen.

Bradie James, 'nothing special'. James is a very good player and is entrenched as a starter, and IMO a future Pro Bowler.

Jacob Rogers was a bust, but because of injury. bad job by the Cowboy medical staff who incorrectly gauged the extent of the injury.

anthony fasono pick....I tend to think that they have gotten exactly what they wnated out of Fasano. He was picked as a second TE and a good blocker.

Nice research, but you know hindsight is 20/20. I am sure if he had som of those back he would make a different move. Hell if we had the last 5 years back we would be a super bowl contender.

Fact is you pick based on your needs and players that fit your plans. You do not always have the luxury to just pick BPA.

Bill did more than just draft players, he signed free agents. He built a team. A team that very well could have won that superbowl last year. I am willing to see if he can do it again. Like I said though great thread great research.

If you think those are ugly check out his '97-'99 drafts w/ the Jets.

I agree that Parcell's drafts, where he had final say, were pretty ugly, fortunately, Ireland's got the final say here. As Ck pointed out a while back, Ireland's influence came into play in the 2005 draft after Lacewell retired in 2004, and that was very good draft.

I'm really hoping that we draft 2 OL very early, we've seen those later round OL picks here for what seems like forever, and they've been pretty bad.

well,from what i've heard,Ireland's supposed to have a good eye for talent,i hope he does for the teams sake....i don't know what kind of eye for talent Sparano has,but i hope it's a good one...as far as Parcells,i think he's been a great coach,obviously he's picked some good to great players,and some lousy players,every coach&GM has done that....all we as fans can do is watch and see what happens come draft day and hope&pray for the best possible outcome.

Bill is a bit of a bull "but" let hope Ireland can handle him and lets hope Bill has learned that he needs to be handled in that department. As CK posted awile back this all works if Bill is willing to step back and give his staff a chance to step up.

Ireland and the other guy are the heads of scouting for the Cowboys, Parcells may have final say, but I think he is letting his guys do their job. I didnt see Marion Barber in there, he was a forth round pick or something like that.

If you think those drafts had bad picks, look up the past 5 drafts of the dolphins.....now that was bad!

Back
Top Bottom