About how much will we be over the cap in 2005? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

About how much will we be over the cap in 2005?

:confused: ;)

At this point, I project about $10 million. However, there are some variables:

1) How will the injuries affect the cap adjustment? Injured players do not earn all of their bonuses and/or incentives. This could lead to a cap credit on 2005 and give y'all more cap space

2) How will injuries impact roster? For example: Will Bowens and Boston be shown the door? Bowens is very likely IMO to be let go and Miami moves on with rebuilding the DL. Boston, while not likely, could be let go if new coaching staff or FO personnel are brought in.

3) The amount over is nothing to worry about as compared to prior seasons. Miami will not need to do as much as in previous off-season to become cap compliant. Chambers has a $5 million roster bonus, that when guaranteed, will become signing bonus and amortized over the remaining 5 yrs of his deal, thus saving $4 million on the 2005 cap and.....

4) QB situation: Fiedler has HUGE cap numbers in both '05 & '06. His status is in question. If Feeley can show enough development, I would suspect that Fiedler is released, saving $3-4 million. Miami would go out into FA and add a veteran #2 and most likely consider drafting a young QB

5) DB Freeman has a $3 million salary which will not happen

3 or 4 moves gets you to cap compliancy......much better cap situation than the past few years, but that's because Spielman bit the bullet and made more moves than many had anticipated.

I just finished my 2005 Salary Cap page. It's still needs to be compared to Merman and Clap's but I expect it to be quite accurate.

Projected Cap- $89,841,465. 47 players under contract + 4 minimum salaries to equal 51 players.

Projected `05 cap- $84,000,000

Here are some potential savings.
Converting Chambers roster bonus into a signing bonus- $4M.

Cutting these players would save:
Surtain- $5.85M
D. Bowens- $1.6M
St.Clair- $1.1M
McIntosh- $1.2M
Fiedler- $4.6M
Freeman- $3M
Seau- $2.6M
Thompson- $1M
That's a total of $24.95M.
There shouldn't be a problem with the cap when we have to rebuild from Wannstedt's disaster.

I know, I know....consider the source

Whoever gets the job has a big mess to clean up. The Dolphins have over $99 million in salary cap room committed already for next year, which is much higher than the league average of $73.832 million. Plus, age is starting to creep in on the defense, the one good thing about this team

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7741349/2

Aqua said:
I just finished my 2005 Salary Cap page. It's still needs to be compared to Merman and Clap's but I expect it to be quite accurate.

Projected Cap- $89,841,465. 47 players under contract + 4 minimum salaries to equal 51 players.

Projected `05 cap- $84,000,000

Here are some potential savings.
Converting Chambers roster bonus into a signing bonus- $4M.

Cutting these players would save:
Surtain- $5.85M
D. Bowens- $1.6M
St.Clair- $1.1M
McIntosh- $1.2M
Fiedler- $4.6M
Freeman- $3M
Seau- $2.6M
Thompson- $1M
That's a total of $24.95M.
There shouldn't be a problem with the cap when we have to rebuild from Wannstedt's disaster.
No way we can release Surtain. That would be the dumbest thing this organazation could do. I REALLY dont wanna see him go, but if it happens, it better be thru trade. Also.....Seau leaving would be sad:cry: , but i can see it comming too.

Aqua said:
Due to some computer problems I just today caught up with all the 2004 changes. It will take a little while before I weigh in with any 2005 numbers.
:lurking:

FinFan24 said:
No way we can release Surtain. That would be the dumbest thing this organazation could do. I REALLY dont wanna see him go, but if it happens, it better be thru trade. Also.....Seau leaving would be sad:cry: , but i can see it comming too.

I don't think he's suggesting we release Surtain, only pointing out what would happen if we did. However, the fact that we can get about $18 million under without losing anyone really worthwhile is good news. I wouldn't mind Seau restructuring and coming back for one more year, but the rest of them (save Surtain, obviously, since we won't cut him) can hit the bricks.

Spielman's track record is checkered at best, right now, but his capology has at least set us up well for the future (almost makes up for giving up what looks like a top 35 pick for AJ Feeley).

Clumpy said:
I know, I know....consider the source
Whoever gets the job has a big mess to clean up. The Dolphins have over $99 million in salary cap room committed already for next year, which is much higher than the league average of $73.832 million. Plus, age is starting to creep in on the defense, the one good thing about this team
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7741349/2
Clumpy, are we really about $25 million over the cap next year?

Nublar7 said:
Clumpy, are we really about $25 million over the cap next year?

No...that $73+ million number is the average cap charges for all teams on next years cap. The estimated cap is about $84 million, so Miami is approx. $15 million over

Trading Surtain at the end of this season would be a smart move, much less penalty than Madison.

Ya the rest of them are good cuts.

Trading Surtain, quite honestly makes sense IMO. Can Miami survive at CB with Madison, Howard, and Poole for another season? I believe y'all could. Add a vet FA or high draft choice as #4 CB.

Clumpy said:
Trading Surtain, quite honestly makes sense IMO. Can Miami survive at CB with Madison, Howard, and Poole for another season? I believe y'all could. Add a vet FA or high draft choice as #4 CB.
Poole I belive is going to become one of the rare Shut Down corners in the league. I think we should trade Surtain, have the two starters be Madison and Poole, keep Howard as the #3 corner and heck pick Buckley back up as the #4. Poole will be a starter for years to come. Now, we just have to find an eventual replacement for Madison.

Back
Top Bottom