About the buffalo game.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MDFINFAN, Jul 14, 2010.

1. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

This game has me a little scared.. if this was the same coaching staff from last year..I wouldn't be so worried...but there's too many unknowns for me to feel comfortable about this game. It's one everyone is taking for granted that we'll win, and while I want to believe that, I know we don't know a thing about how Gailey will approach us, The only thing Gailey doesn't know about us is the D, because we don't know what kind of D we'll have either. Here's my concerns:

1. Gailey's a smart OC, we did well under him, and he's a master at trick plays.. i.e., see Spiller as a spoiler.
    2. Edwards doesn't have a history at DC..we don't know what to expect..we can only hope he runs the same kind of 3-4 he saw in Miami, but that's not a given.
    3. This same supposed sorry team beat us at the end last year.
    4. This is a division game and anything can happen.
    5. Where's our deep threat? Brandon's not as fast as Ginn. Why will Safties back up as opposed to playing close to the LOS..Brandon won't out run them. He uses his height nicely and eludes after the catch, but he doesn't burn pass defenders.
    6. When Fergie wasn't in, we got ran on..that included Starks playing some Nose last year and the year before against baltimore.
    7. Does S Smith play corner closer to the receivers this year or not..while he was in the vicinity last year he was almost a yard off, and that's why a lot of ball were caught over him.
    8. The lack of experience at OLB can hurt us..not reading the play before it happens..anticipation plays a major role in players ability to stop a play..do we have the necessary goods at OLB?

The positives.
    1. We have a new DC.
    2. We have a weapon at WR
    3. I think our OL will be awesome, ONCE they gel..
    4. We're a young fast, physical team, but are we a smart team..offseason graffles suggest maybe not.
    5. We execute really well, and our 3rd year in the same O should help pay dividends.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Mr_Freezetag

Mr_Freezetag Knowledge Hunter

Take out Spillers legs on the first play. Game over.

3. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Did safties back up when we had Ginn... No. He wasnt considered a deep threat or any threat for that matter.

Marshall might not have speed to be considered a deep threat, but what he does know how to do is make YAC, which can be considered a deep threat in in of itself, terms of yardage.. same thing with Hartline, he averaged 16 YPC last year.

All your other concerns are completely valid.

4. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree that our WR's will be a threat for sure

But a true deep threat would be so amazing, a player such as DeSean Jackson. Fast, tough, and can catch.

Everyone loves a burner

5. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

So, when you play some DB when your with your buddies playing some football, how close do you stay to the receiver? a yard?

6. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

The Buffalo Bills will go 0-16.

7. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

When your talking about The NFL...last year pretty much means nothing...

I think you gotta say that the phins have not beat the Bills in Buffalo in 5 years...

I think this is the year tho..But your right, this game is not a given

8. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

there's other factors that make defenses play their safeties deep. speed is the most obvious one. in Marshall's case, defenses will stay back because he's going to break tackles and he's fast enough to run away from DB's once he's beat his CB. a speedy WR would add a new element to the offense, sure, but Marshall alone will pin the safeties deep as well.

9. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

I am not really scared about this game. Will it be a blowout? Probably not being the first game of the season. I do think we will win just not by a big margin. This is a game that we need to win and will win.

10. Mr_Freezetag

Mr_Freezetag Knowledge Hunter

Hartline poses a deep threat.

11. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I sick and tired of people calling Ginn a deep threat..HE ****ING SUCKED..Hartline is our deep threat, He will be our "Burner", and I've also seen B Marshall do a fly route and score plenty of times.

But your other points are somewhat valid.

12. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

When you're the favorite there's always a chance for a spoiler. You never know, maybe Edwards puts it together this year and they make some magic with their three good running backs. I don't think Buffalo will have a good season, but they could definitely beat us in week 1. Especially with the way we've started seasons the past few years.

13. PhinsPhan11

Yeah, he does.

14. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Is it just me or is everybody's thanks button AFK?

15. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

whats AFK?

16. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

That's a good question, I think it matter what corner was on Ginn, if the corner wasn't that great then yes safties on his side played a little deep, the NY 1st game helped with that as Ginn burned Revis..then as the year went on, some teams didn't respect his deep threat, and Ginn almost burn them again, i.e., pittsburg.. For the most part, they did respect his speed, but not his ability to get off the jam..

17. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

the bills always play us tough at least one game in the series. i never take division games for granted. i think they'll be terrible but they'll show up at least once. our o-line is never ready the first few games (perplexing) so week 1 might be scary.

18. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

1. Not worried about Chan Gailey in the slightest. Had they gotten a real coach like Cowher or Shanahan, that would be a different story. But they didn't.

2. Edwards is an unknown. That's certainly not a negative, and not a positive either.

3. This team is a lot better than last year. Good additions through FA and the draft, and we have some key players back that we didn't have last year due to injury.

4. True. And we also always struggle in Buffalo. Luckily, it's the first game of the season, and not a december game.

5. Ted Ginn was never a deep threat. Running fast with no other ability does not make you a deep threat. Why won't safeties play up close? Because corners can't tackle Marshall. You put that safety in the box, Marshall is as good as gone once he throws that CB to the ground. Marshall doesn't need to burn pass defenders. When you're 6'5" with elite jumping ability and hands, you have to be respected deep because you can out jump just about every CB in the NFL.

6. That game against Baltimore, Starks was tremendous. He certainly got the best of a highly regarded Jason Brown. Starks can more than hold his own at NT. He may not be as big as most NT's, but he's certainly as strong as them. And he offers pass rushing from the nose as well. I see a great year from Starks, and a huge extension to follow.

7. Not sure. But Smith was still better in coverage last year than Davis was, so let's hope they both continue to improve. And having a healthy Allen back can only help.

8. The experience at OLB last year didn't help us at all did it? JT/Porter as a combo were pretty bad. Cam Wake was by far our best pass rusher last year, and Misi's skillset looks like a great fit for what Nolan looks for in a SOLB.

Maybe I'm just a homer, but I can't really see Buffalo keeping this game within 10 points, let alone possibly win it, but crazier things have happened.

19. Eli_Manning

Eli_Manning Banned Hammered

FFS it's the jills. Close this topic mods.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it's pretty simple...it's the opening game of the season...no reason not to be prepared mentally or snuck up on...we're the better team...period...

win the damn game

cause week 2 in minnesota is gonna be dicey at best...

and chan gailey is in way over his head...

21. PhinsPhan11

Exactly, we are the better team so we should win the game.

22. moogyman

moogyman town drunk

The definitive proof of the fins being better than the bills is where exactly? Maybe I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure training camp hasn't even started yet, so who really knows who's going to be better. Just because you want it to be true, does not make it true. As far as gailey being over his head..lmao, there is no expectations, no where to go but up for Buffalo ... right? Where as Miami's expectations on the other hand, are pretty damn lofty. So if I were a betting man, I would take the over on T.S. being over his head. Sorry to be the bearer of reality... but that is just it, reality. Just for hindsight's sake, weren't the fins predicted to go to the Superbowl a few years back... what happened with that? Just curious.

23. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i read that spiller said that he is ok for a hold out so he might not even play, he is one of thier only weapons on offense. but the only reason that the game scares me a little is because its a division rival and we havent started off good the last i dont know how many years.

24. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

anddddd /thread :lol:

25. Dolfan77

Dolfan77 Well-Known Member

Any given sunday....

26. Dolfan77

Dolfan77 Well-Known Member

Chuck-182 im diggin your sig and avatar. Blink is the ****. props

27. PhinsPhan11

We haven't started the season off well the last few years. But playing Buffalo in our first game gives us the chance to win ven if we make mistakes since it's early in the season and we are playing a weak team.

28. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

People underestimate Gailey. He is a good coach and has a good track record of winning and improving teams. I don't think the Bills deserve the criticism they receive for hiring Gailey. He's no Cower or Shanahan, but I wouldn't say he's a stop-gap coach either.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think gailey will be fired within 3 years...in over his head as an nfl head coach imo...i think josh mcdaniels will be fired also within the next 3

30. hoops

hoops exited stage left

bearer of reality...here's a dose for you...reality is that the bills will be looking at a top 5 pick in 2011...book it

31. das8929

das8929 Starter

Kinda scared of it too just because theres so much damn pressure for us to win. We NEED this game, the first few games are brutal.

32. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Yea, not buying it. The Bills went after Shanahan and Cowher, and neither would coach that disaster of a team so they settled with Gailey. He's way over his head.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

No doubt.

33. moogyman

moogyman town drunk

Wow... sure thing hoss, what ever you say. I can play this game too. Let's see.... My crystal ball says.....the Bills crack 14-2 and the fins are unable to make it past 8-8. Ya, that's what happens. Book that. My blind homer gene is really cranking now....Wheeeeeee.

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

we'll see how buffalo fairs...my guess is you probably won't care any more by say week 10...

you've got chan gailey and trent edwards...i'm impressed...

35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

tell me though...how do you think buffalo will finish this year...i mean your loaded with talent...how bout a prediction there moogy

36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

You know, the more I think about it, the less I'm scared about the Buffalo game. Last year we got Terrell Owens'd. Plain and simple. He dominated that game and broke it open at just the right moment.

The way Chan Gailey coaches, they're going to play some solid fundamental football. But they don't have a lot of talent. It's the way we were in 2008, and still the way we play in 2009 and 2010, except now we have talent.

Funny the dreams you can have but I actually had a dream about this game last night. The Dolphins won. It was a nice solid, albeit unspectacular victory. That's not me seeing into the future, but it does sort of tell me how I really feel about where this game should go, when you strip out the irrational fears and questionaing we all have about the unobvious being obvious and the obvious ending up a total surprise, etc. This is a game Miami should solidly win.

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

moogy knows his football season is over before it even begins...

38. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

The big question is, is there someone on that team that has the talent to bamboozle us the way Terrell Owens did? I mean, in the past Lee Evans has killed the Dolphins once or twice. But I see him as part of what keeps them afloat a little bit when they play us. Terrell Owens is the guy that breaks open the game. Do they have that this year? Anywhere?

In time, C.J. Spiller will do that. But, not game one. Not year one.

Maybe Jairus Byrd, but I can't shake the feeling that he's overrated, got lucky on some of his pop-up interceptions, and he'll come down to earth hard this year. Their secondary should be overmatched against our WRs.

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i like buffalos secondary more than anything else...i agree bryd comes back to earth this year but i think the corners are pretty solid...but they're not shut down brandon marshall good...

other than that and cj spiller on returns i'm not all that threatened...the oline is ripe for the exposing the qb is meh...yeah we should handle this team pretty easily imo...but division games are never easy...

don't get cute with a bunch of razzle dazzle...just go out there and show them who's boss on both sides of the ball and the los

40. bpackers13

bpackers13 A True Fan

WOW...... who says "wheeeeeee"? Sounds like a cheerleader term to me. Speaking of which I would put money on the Bills cheerleaders over the football team.