ACC Football | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ACC Football

Prove it or it is just a stupid opinion.
Alabama has 12 titles by theirself.
Don't get me wrong ,the Canes are my second fav team behind my Tide.
A Bama man built that program.

That's probably true also. But our middle of the pack seems to be beating the SEC's middle of the pack lately. It's all media hype
(This is your quote,please prove it with facts)

And even after all this debate about coaches and what not, the issue of the ACC teams beating the SEC teams is still not being discussed.
(Again,your quote...What ACC teams are running roughshed over the SEC?)

Uh, have you read anything I just wrote? That's my point, the ACC continually beats the SEC in those things they call football games, but for some reason, the SEC is so much better. I guess winning the actual games means nothing
(Are you going to say this isn't your quote?)You said this...Now prove it or shut the
**** up.

It really is extremely boring to repeat myself over and over. You already said they were 6-6 against each other, then I excluded 3 games because I said we can't compete with the elite of the SEC, 2 because of meaningless bowl games, and the 1 other was USC over NC St. So what about the 6 wins for the ACC?

Post 8 -
"Let's just look at one example - Vanderbilt. A 7-6 team in the SEC (4-4 in conference). Lost to Duke and Wake Forest (beat BC in a bowl game, but I don't think meaningless bowl games are a good standard by which to judge). Wake Forest was 4-4 in the ACC, Duke was 1-7.

Vanderbilt finished 3rd in their division, tied with South Carolina (who lost at Clemson and beat NC State). Behind them was Tennessee and Kentucky. Ahead of them was Florida and Georgia (who lost to Ga. Tech.). Clearly this wasn't a strong division top to bottom, however the top team did become the MNC. But the overall depth wasn't there."

There's 4 wins I've already mentioned.

Post 13 -
"Realize I was talking top-to-bottom depth. I acknowledged Bama and UF were elite, and we couldn't compete with them, but have a team like South Carolina play Clemson, and well, you see the results."

There's #5.

The only other one I didn't bring up was Ga Tech beating Mississippi St., because that's kinda pointless/expected, but now that I see that they beat Vanderbilt, maybe it wasn't.

See, all it takes is a little reading.

Coaches? You think Frank Beamer can't capitalize on talent? The first time he had a great player they went to the national title game. The only reason that Va Tech is ever good is because of Frank Beamer.
Bobby Bowden - I mean what can you say about the guy. He's won national titles, we all know about the career wins total, and he's always had great teams, except for the past couple years. He won more national titles than Saban, Miles, or Spurrier ever did, and just as many as Meyer (although he inherited a ton of talent, just like Miles). Richt hasn't really even done much either, except continue to produce teams that underachieve.
Butch Davis built Miami up after probation, and he's slowly building UNC up as well.
The only coach I think that argument actually works for is the Bowden that was just at Clemson. I don't think Virginia's ever had a great deal of talent on their team, but it's a credit to Al Groh for still developing a few great players out there.
Randy Shannon and Paul Johnson haven't been at their programs long enough to judge. Given the enormous level of success Randy Shannon has had at every other thing he's ever done with his life, it's hard to imagine he's going to struggle now. The talent he's brought in is incredible, and the fact that he's already developed competing teams is a credit to him.
And even after all this debate about coaches and what not, the issue of the ACC teams beating the SEC teams is still not being discussed.

With all due respect to Bobby Bowden....because I love the guy....(he's a Bama guy too)....Joe Paterno's accomplishments are much more impressive to me...

The ACC was a VERY weak conference for a long time....I think Bowden won like 14 or 15 CONSECUTIVE conference titles.....he had absolutely no competition in the ACC for the longest....there was FSU and nobody else...

No wonder the ACC wanted to bring in the likes of BC, VT, and Miami....because the conference had been a joke for too long...

The Big 10 has traditionally always been a tough conference....and Paterno's accomplishments he's achieved throughout his career, he's done without the luxury of having the hotbed of recruiting talent (Florida) right there at his disposal like Bowden did...

Bowden could simply stockpile talent....Paterno couldn't....and now that the playing field is more even....Bowden can't dominate like he used to....not even close...while Paterno STILL runs a class A program...and STILL wins...

You want to say Randy Shannon and Paul Johnson haven't been at their programs long enough to judge...but then throw out Les Miles, Urban Meyer, and Nick Saban as if they've been at their programs for 30 years...lol...Spurrier probably could've won at least 1 more NC at Florida if he hadn't taken a shot at the NFL....

I'll tell ya this much though.....I'd take Paul Johnson over Randy Shannon 7 days a week and twice on Saturdays.....he's a better coach....

...and as Namor pointed out....don't ever bring up National Championships and Miami vs. Alabama in the same sentence like that again.....that's like comparing a canoe to an air craft carrier....

You can't exclude games to prove (top to bottom depth)
PERIOD.
It's meaningless if I even look at it your way.Even if your right it's
just one year.
"That's my point, the ACC continually beats the SEC in those things they call football games, but for some reason, the SEC is so much better. I guess winning the actual games means nothing"
This was your quote...Wheres the continually'?

With all due respect to Bobby Bowden....because I love the guy....(he's a Bama guy too)....Joe Paterno's accomplishments are much more impressive to me...

The ACC was a VERY weak conference for a long time....I think Bowden won like 14 or 14 CONSECUTIVE conference titles.....he had absolutely no competition in the ACC for the longest....there was FSU and nobody else...

No wonder the ACC wanted to bring in the likes of BC, VT, and Miami....because the conference had been a joke for too long...

The Big 10 has traditionally always been a tough conference....and Paterno's accomplishments he's achieved throughout his career, he's done without the luxury of having the hotbed of recruiting talent (Florida) right there at his disposal like Bowden did...

Bowden could simply stockpile talent....Paterno couldn't....and now that the playing field is more even....Bowden can't dominate like he used to....not even close...while Paterno STILL runs a class A program...and STILL wins...

You want to say Randy Shannon and Paul Johnson haven't been at their programs long enough to judge...but then throw out Les Miles, Urban Meyer, and Nick Saban as if they've been at their programs for 30 years...lol...Spurrier probably could've won at least 1 more NC at Florida if he hadn't taken a shot at the NFL....

I'll tell ya this much though.....I'd take Paul Johnson over Randy Shannon 7 days a week and twice on Saturdays.....he's a better coach....

...and as Namor pointed out....don't ever bring up National Championships and Miami vs. Alabama in the same sentence like that again.....that's like comparing a canoe to an air craft carrier....

Sorry,Ted ,usally i agree with almost all you post about.
But Bobby Bowden is a piece of crap...I've meet him several times
thru my dad's business.
30 of his wins should not count because they were at Samford when they
wasn't a DIV-1 school.
He has done alot of dirty things at FSU.
With the talent they had over the years at FSU,he should have won about
5 titles...Bad coaching...Micky Andrews is the real deal there.
Another Bama guy.
Back to this silly ACC is even close to the SEC argument.
I'm still waiting for which ACC teams CONTINUALLY beats down SEC teams.

The ACC was a VERY weak conference for a long time....I think Bowden won like 14 or 14 CONSECUTIVE conference titles.....he had absolutely no competition in the ACC for the longest....there was FSU and nobody else...

My bad Ted ...I read your post wrong...
I do agree about Joe Pa,though.
Him or Bobby couldn't hold Bear's hat.

The ACC was a VERY weak conference for a long time....I think Bowden won like 14 or 15 CONSECUTIVE conference titles.....he had absolutely no competition in the ACC for the longest....there was FSU and nobody else...

First on the national title thing - since 1980, Miami has 5 national titles, and Bama has 1. If you want to count those championships when there was like 5 teams in college football, then be my guest. Miami hasn't been around as long as Alabama, but when we started winning titles, Alabama stopped.

Funny about Paterno and Bowden. Yeah Bowden's been down for a few years, but it's nothing like Paterno at Penn State. They disappear for years at a time, and it's very easy to say Paterno is better than Bowden now, because Bowden is slumping for the first time in, uh ever, and Paterno has had nominal success. I think both are very impressive coaches, but Paterno NEVER dominated the college football landscape like Bowden did in the 90s.

Just back it up three years..Bama won it in 78,79 ...Ga won in 80
another SEC team.
Bowden or Miami never dominated a Big Time Conferance (ACC please)
(the Big Least) like the Bear.
Both Fla. St and Miami were offered invatations to join the SEC when
S.C. and Ark joined,but they declined because they knew their chances
for a national championship would be greatly hampered.
Bet they would like that CBS/ESPN money now.
Hell,Miami can't even fill up a stadium for their games.
Bowden has 2 titles..one he didn't deserve...Nebraska won that game,
weird out of the blue illegal block on a touchdown.
The only real one he won was against another ACC school.

You can't exclude games to prove (top to bottom depth)
PERIOD.
It's meaningless if I even look at it your way.Even if your right it's
just one year.
"That's my point, the ACC continually beats the SEC in those things they call football games, but for some reason, the SEC is so much better. I guess winning the actual games means nothing"
This was your quote...Wheres the continually'?

Continually probably wasn't the best word to use. Especially for those that get obsessed on one word in particular, even if the rest of my argument was pretty clear. I only meant that they beat them throughout last year, in case you couldn't tell by my million other posts indicating as such.

I can exclude those if I want. I wasn't making a case for who has the most elite teams, and you of all people should know that bowl games aren't very meaningful (after Bama got thrashed by Utah last year). Do you really think that Utah was better than Alabama last year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back it up three years..Bama won it in 78,79 ...Ga won in 80
another SEC team.
Bowden or Miami never dominated a Big Time Conferance (ACC please)
(the Big Least) like the Bear.
Both Fla. St and Miami were offered invatations to join the SEC when
S.C. and Ark joined,but they declined because they knew their chances
for a national championship would be greatly hampered.
Bet they would like that CBS/ESPN money now.
Hell,Miami can't even fill up a stadium for their games.
Bowden has 2 titles..one he didn't deserve...Nebraska won that game,
weird out of the blue illegal block on a touchdown.
The only real one he won was against another ACC school.

Yeah, and then go forward 20. You can say that neither school dominated, but the history books will say that Miami dominated the 80s, FSU dominated the 90s, and USC dominated this decade. The Pac 10 isn't that strong either, but just like the other two teams, USC is so much better than every other school in that conference right now.

The only major sports team in Miami that can fill up a stadium is the Dolphins, and sometimes that's questionable. Miami's a private school, and has about 10,000 students. And most of those kids are from up north (i.e. they go back after they graduate). Most of those SEC schools are public schools, and have very large fanbases. Still have absolutely no idea what that has to do with anything though.

Bama grad..87 (engineer)
Went to school with Mike Shula.
My Dad's firm did the renovations to the Orange Bowl back in the 70's.
Thats why I'm a Dolphin fan.
My dad's firm has done engineering work for the Dolphins since they
started in the 60's
I've meet Danny Thomas,Joe Robbie,Wayne H,Jimmy Johnson and most
of the Miami officials thru the years.
Met Don Shula several times through Alabama and Miami.
Listen..I apologize for sounding like a ***...
I'm just defending my school and conferance with some facts
to the best of my ability.
Like I said before,I really like the Canes...I have a lot of ties
to Miami.

First on the national title thing - since 1980, Miami has 5 national titles, and Bama has 1. If you want to count those championships when there was like 5 teams in college football, then be my guest. Miami hasn't been around as long as Alabama, but when we started winning titles, Alabama stopped.

Funny about Paterno and Bowden. Yeah Bowden's been down for a few years, but it's nothing like Paterno at Penn State. They disappear for years at a time, and it's very easy to say Paterno is better than Bowden now, because Bowden is slumping for the first time in, uh ever, and Paterno has had nominal success. I think both are very impressive coaches, but Paterno NEVER dominated the college football landscape like Bowden did in the 90s.

LOL...you can bet that if Miami had even become significant before 1980 you'd be counting their titles too....but they weren't....don't hate just because Miami doesn't have the rich tradition to stack up against the teams that are the essence of college football and always have been...

...and as Namor pointed out...if it wasn't for a Bama guy to begin with....they still wouldn't be....in fact....Miami would probably be playing checkers instead of football right now...

Just don't ever forget that beatdown Bama put on those boys in the Sugar Bowl last time they met for the title....

Does all Notre Dame's title count? What about USC's, etc.?

All you can do is play and win under whatever current structure there is at the time....

I just hope carolina can have decent football team for once in my lifetime

I just hope carolina can have decent football team for once in my lifetime

They have had some good teams through the years. It's not too long ago(1996) that, if not for a 4th qtr collapse at UVa they may have played for a National Title(or at least been in a big time Bowl) and in '97 they finished in the top 10.

Back
Top Bottom