According to Omar Kelly, | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

According to Omar Kelly,

feelthepain

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Pennington won't be handed the starting job.

"Chad is going to be competing. He knows that," said Sparano, who last week complained about not having enough snaps to get a good look at the team's three quarterbacks.

Again, I like this approach. Some fans here are convinced our QB position is bad, and Henne is the only choice we have at the future, maybe. But I think the staff will do their best to make sure it's the right choice even short term. Sorry guy's but I don't think we're going to be a playoff team just yet, so why not work towards finding a QB lineup that best fits this team and their philosphy?

I think we are finally doing things the right way, building the lines up with big strong guy's, adding talent the QB position, making every position a battle for who wants it most.

Anyone watch Sparano on the sidlines this past game? The looked like he knew what he was doing screaming at the players, screaming at the refs and not looking like he was gonna cry any minute. I love the way things are going with this team, I could care less what our record is this year I think everything else this team is doing will be fun to watch. I think we will see steady improvements from week to week.

Here's the rest of the link to the Pennington article enjoy:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins11sbaug11,0,6831069.story

What do you expect Coach Sparano to say? Yes, competition is over. Thats like saying there is competition at inside linebacker. Sure there is. A competition that we can already predetermine resulting in Channing and Akin starting.

Keep in mind he also said he didnt have interest in adding another QB, nothing that he "has enough trouble getting the guys already here their reps".

Chad will start.

Tell Sparano I say SuuuuuuuRRRRReeeeeeeee! HE is gonna look better then McCown, Beck or Henne

Wait this on is better we might carry 4 QBs, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was going to mention that he also said that, which wont happen. Cant put much stock into what a coach says nowadays.

What do you expect Coach Sparano to say? Yes, competition is over. Thats like saying there is competition at inside linebacker. Sure there is. A competition that we can already predetermine resulting in Channing and Akin starting.

Keep in mind he also said he didnt have interest in adding another QB, nothing that he "has enough trouble getting the guys already here their reps".

Chad will start.

Maybe he will, but remember the Jets just let a guy go that is the all time leading passer in NFL history with completion %. Kellen Clemens is no Chad Pennington, yet Penningtons out? Could there be more to Chads release then we know? Hey if Chad outplays everyone good, if not well we'll know real soon. Either way I think Chad needs to prove it was a mistake for the Jets to release him, not us assuming it was a mistake. You can all sit there and act like you know everying and assume the world, I'd rather rely on the facts. I think this is the right approach.

You want facts? Pennington was released because they traded for Brett Favre. Has nothing to do with the Pennington vs. Clemens battle. Many would tell you that Pennington was leading the way in that competition.

But when Brett and his $12 million salary was acquired, salary cap room needed to be made, and Pennington makes far more than Clemens.

Here ya go, some facts.

You want facts? Pennington was released because they traded for Brett Favre. Has nothing to do with the Pennington vs. Clemens battle. Many would tell you that Pennington was leading the way in that competition.

But when Brett and his $12 million salary was acquired, salary cap room needed to be made, and Pennington makes far more than Clemens.

Here ya go, some facts.

And don't forget the age factor. I mean, in theory, Clemens is still their 'man of the future'.

Competition only brings out the greatness in players, so im all for a QB competition. But we all know that pennington will start.

Competition only brings out the greatness in players, so im all for a QB competition. But we all know that pennington will start.

I tend to disagree (with the competition part; I also think Penny will start :up:). I think competition may bring out the best in players, but practice makes perfect. As George Halas said, "Don't do anything in practice you wouldn't do in the game." That is why Sparano was complaining about the reps these guys had to split.

To me, the main point of competition is evaluation when you have no clear option. A side benefit is that it does push players, but it limits the entire offense from gelling with its most pivotal component. It's the devils choice. Damned if you don't, if you aren't sure who to start, how can you figure it out. Damned if you do, because the more people you see, the less you actually see them and the more you limit the development of the rest of your offense.

If competition were always good, they would always split snaps even with incumbent starting caliber QBs at the helm.

Honestly I think barring some extremely surprising event, Penny's the starter this year. He does bring a lot of intangibles to the table, a lot better veteran leadership than McCown could have offered.

Plus, look at McCown speak and then look at Pennington speak. McCown always struck me as like pure jock. Penny's always been a lot more thoughtful and cerebral, a bit of a nerd. But, he's been around long enough to have that confidence, to be razzing rookie Henne already after only being here a day and yet able to pull it off. I think he's the type that could really relate to and help both young quarterbacks, whereas I kind of got the feeling that McCown would never really end up speaking much to Beck. Penny could help keep everything smooth.

All we can do is hope that reports of Penny popping the mitt a little better in TC thus far are true. There's no question the Jets had to dump him immediately upon trading for Favre purely for salary cap reasons. They couldn't even afford to play around with trying to trade him, IMO, because of that.

Honestly I think barring some extremely surprising event, Penny's the starter this year. He does bring a lot of intangibles to the table, a lot better veteran leadership than McCown could have offered.

Plus, look at McCown speak and then look at Pennington speak. McCown always struck me as like pure jock. Penny's always been a lot more thoughtful and cerebral, a bit of a nerd. But, he's been around long enough to have that confidence, to be razzing rookie Henne already after only being here a day and yet able to pull it off. I think he's the type that could really relate to and help both young quarterbacks, whereas I kind of got the feeling that McCown would never really end up speaking much to Beck. Penny could help keep everything smooth.

All we can do is hope that reports of Penny popping the mitt a little better in TC thus far are true. There's no question the Jets had to dump him immediately upon trading for Favre purely for salary cap reasons. They couldn't even afford to play around with trying to trade him, IMO, because of that.

I agree CK, I think Penny could help our QB's...especially Beck...from hearing Penny talk he seems like him and Beck will get along good... hopefully he can help him out a little...

i said it twice, i'll say it again.. i believe that the chad pennington signing will probably help john beck out more in the long run.. they are so damn alike, except beck has more zip... like when the ineligible reciever was down field on the screen.. beck just threw it down, so that they would be called for a penalty... all people see is a missed completion, but the play looked better dead than negative.. chad pennington gives us that same look.. smart quarterback play that will not beat you with his arm, but his head. their football iq is out of this world.. if any of this rubs off on chad henne, then we will have a great team for years to come... heres to the next 15 years with chad, then beck, then henne.... cant get any better than that...

Pennington probably realizes he's going to hand this job over to someone after this season atleast, more likely to me it will be Henne when his contract is up, barring any injury. He's going to help both Henne and Beck along the way. I've learned all too much, that recent coaches don't ever come right out with an honest answer. Most of them like to play games, or say things to provoke conversation, headlines, ETC. Most of us know that Pennington doesn't get paid 11.5 million for 2 years to sit on the bench. That is comical.

Yea I think hes gonna start, Parcells drafted him in 2000 and he likes him. He probably wants a guy who has actually started in the NFL and won some games. They talk about Penningtons on-field knowledge and leadership on the NFL network and stuff like that but I mean look at the other options. McCowns been a backup everywhere hes been. It's only gonna be Becks second year and from what I saw last year hes not gonne be your franchise quarterback. And Henne, I would like him to be our quarterback but hes a rookie and he needs to adjust to the game, learn the playbook and get his timing down. I like his arm and I think he could be a pretty good quarterback for the dolphins in the future. Therefore, I think with Pennington being the most experienced and being a Parcells draft pick he'll definately land the starting job by week 1 against the Jets. I am a little skeptikal though because he has had those shoulder problems in the past and he cant throw the deep ball. I guess being accurate can make up for it in a sense, but its a shame he doesnt have the long ball...it would be nice to see some deep plays for a change. Its hard to pick who will get cut though, its either McCown or Beck. I havent seen much of Beck this year in camp but based on last year he was so indecisive and it looked like he was just out place like he had no confidence. We're building for the future and he doesnt look like the future. McCown has been a back up all these years for the reason that hes just not good enough to start. Someones usually gotta go down with an injury in order for him to get any playing time. I like Henne though, im hopin he can be the franchise QB we been waitin for since Marino left. I think if Pennington never became available on the market Henne would be starting against the Jets week 1.

Back
Top Bottom