According to Sports Business Daily, the Dolphins aren't captivating the local market

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dreday, Jul 9, 2011.

1. dreday

dreday future of the funk

link

28 28 Dolphins 43%
    29 29 49ers 42%
    30 30 Giants 40%
    31 31 Jets 37%
    32 32 Raiders 28%

2. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Because there's so much to do in S. Florida plus the population has, most likely, a larger % of people moving from other parts of the nation and these transfers bring their sports alliances with them ... IMO

3. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Lol so no one in New York watches football?

4. dreday

not to disagree,but theres plenty of things to do in new orleans...and plenty of out of towners.to top it off the population isnt even what it used to be...

5. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

That's because the Saints are winning and exciting to watch, unlike the Dolphins. Next I suppose you'll tell me that the sky is blue.

6. dreday

dolphins have a loftier history?bigger fanbase?havent squashed the numbers,strictly assumption...

7. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

The NY/NJ area is both Giants and Jets fans so im not surprised their numbers are as low as they are....If there was only one NY team the numbers for that NY team would be really high.

8. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

Having lived in both NY and Miami, I don't care what the statistics are, the 2 fanbases are absolutely nothing alike. Giants and Jets fans are hardcore, and they ride and die by their teams. I've been to the games in the old meadowlands; The stadium is always filled, and the fans cheer like crazy for their team. The level of intensity is not the same in Miami. I went to high school and college in Miami, and of all my friends who were born and raised in Miami, only a handful were true hardcore Dolphins fans. In comparison, I personally don't know of a single NYer who was born and bred here, who is not a fan of one of the home teams. I'm not saying they don't exist, I just personally don't know any.

In short, there are too many fairweather fans in Miami IMO, and too many just don't take an active interest in the Dolphins. When there are more cheers for visiting teams than the home team, that's a problem. As upsetting as it was to watch, I can't say I'm surprised that the fins went 1-7 at home. IMO, there's just not enough fanaticism from the fandom, in comparison to what I've seen in other home stadiums (i.e. New York).

9. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

I find it hard to believe that only 43% of the people in South Florida tuned into a game last year (be it TV, radio or in person like this site says they included) . . . where are they pulling these stats from? Sure there is alot to do . . . but I know tons of people who don't give a damn about football and have tuned in to watch atleast one game, especially those primetime games against the Jets and Pats. Sounds like BS to me.

I do agree it wouldn't surprise me to see Miami low on a list like this . . . they haven't been successful much in the past 10 years and with influx of people from other parts of the countries and other parts of the world, plus the fans not in the area, combined with amount of things to do on the weekend in South FL . . . and the "Heat" hype factor last season . . . I could see them low on a list . . . but 43% sounds off.

10. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

Well the Saints were a joke for a long time and just now turned their franchise around.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

This is very sad. I love my team regardless.

11. Valandui

But it does explain why they're able to fill stands. They may be fair weather fans, but when your team has won a Super Bowl in the last five years and has winning seasons during the others, attendance tends to go up.

12. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

Shortage of Kicking Game fans!!

13. Lilseb93

Very true. That explains why Miami has a pretty bad crowd. The Dolphins have sucked since like 2004 and the Heat are favorites to win the Finals every year plus all the stuff there is to do in Miami

14. Valandui

To be honest, I would argue that the Dolphins have a very dedicated fan base. It just seems like a lot of them live in other parts of the country while there are a bunch transplants in south Florida.

15. Lilseb93

I agree. I was born and raised in West Palm Beach, there's Dolphin fans and stuff every where!

16. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Should take them to the Lombardi play in order to motivate the fan base.

17. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

This isn't a suprise considering how much of a bandwagon city Miami is.

18. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Not sure if I by this "report".. Oakland has one of the biggest fan bases in the NFL but yet they are last on this list?

19. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

The Saints are the professional sports team in New Orleans. The only team the city supports. That's why fans here expect the Hornets to leave soon. After Katrina the Saints were seen as a team that represented the city. However it wasn't too long ago that the owner was threatening to move the team. Before the hurricane there was a chance the Saints would leave the city. This is the only team the city pays to see and while there is one hell of a nightlife here there is much more to do in South Florida. However, that's no excuse. The Dolphins have roots in South Florida but they haven't won consistently in years.

As of this off season the team has tried to replace the head coach and will try to replace the staring QB.

I can't disagree with the Phins having fairweather fans. There are so many snowbirds and people from the Caribbean and other countries. There was very little of that here until after Hurricane Katrina. The Saints are New Orleans. I am a die hard Phin fan and would love to live there and see every game.

On Sunday during football season, during a Saints game you walk the streets naked. Everyone is at home watching the Saints. There is rarely another game on tv when the Saints play. People here are Saints fans as opposed to football fans.

20. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

The fact that there is no offseason, camps, FREE AGENCY!, etc...makes a huge difference

21. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Oakland has the worst attendance in the NFL. The numbers are available via the NFL. You'd be shocked just how little support Oakland has these days

edit: whatever I'm bored I'll do the research for ya

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

It's why Oakland *should* be the team to move to LA. It isn't a huge move for them

Bumpus likes this.
  22. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

The biggest difference is the Saints are a winner right now and the dolphins are not. If the dolphins were winning like the saints you would most likely see a much bigger following.

23. Jersey DolFan

Jersey DolFan Banned Hammered

this is almost 100% due to miami being comprised of ppl from all over the country. that is all. The reason the Jets have a small share is for a few reasons 1)the Giants run this area - 2) the same reason that there are many different ppl here 3) This is a baseball town (which has little to do with it, as football is still huge here esp in NJ)

who cares about that though, there are a multitude of dolphins fans everywhere esp around here. nationally they are a big team.

24. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

We have sucked for close to a decade now. You also won't see anything regarding Dolphins football in the "targeted" market which I happen to be in. They do a pretty ****ty job of that in my opinion to attract new fans.