Adam Gase: ‘I made a mistake’ not playing Dolphins’ Cam Wake more early in ’16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam Gase: ‘I made a mistake’ not playing Dolphins’ Cam Wake more early in ’16

NY8123

The Fixer
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted.

20170614-ale-dolphins-mini-camp-002.jpg

“You’re trying to throw the first five games in my face there?” Gase said. “I mean, I made a mistake. I should have been playing him more early. We were trying to think long-term and think let’s get him in the most important snaps during games. And when you’re getting down, it puts us in a bad spot because we didn’t want to stick him out there and all they’re doing is pounding the football. You know we wanted him in there when teams were passing it. We just kept getting behind. And that was putting us at a disadvantage. And that’s when we decided we just have to make sure he’s out there more. So that’s kind of why we made that switch. We thought we were being smart. And it really kind of backfired on us. What we should have done is just let him play.”

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...t-playing-dolphins-cam-wake-more-early-in-16/

I think the idea is sound. The problem was players didn't step up so they had to put Cam out there more than they wanted to. I don't think Gase screwed up at all. I think he just had to make adjustments and he did accordingly. That's what I love about Gase is that he tries to fix something that isn't working, regardless if it was his idea in the first place.

One of Gase's endearing qualities as an HC is that he's self-effacing and takes responsibility. Could you imagine tightly-wound Philbin, or for that matter, The Meatball coming out and saying they ****ed up?

Philbin sure - tightly wound yes, unwilling to admit mistakes? No.

since we're on the interwebs and the general consensus is Philbin was a statue who barely even spoke - examples are a must....a quick google search revealing....

"It certainly didn't turn out to be the right decision"

"I have to do better" - .....you didn't need me to quote that one to remember him saying that umpteen thousand times, for better or worse.

"According to the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson, Philbin stood in front of the team during a meeting Thursday morning and apologized for causing a distraction. He admitted he should have handled the situation differently, and stated that something like this week will not happen again."

"All I'll say is one of the functions of the head coach is to create an atmosphere free from distractions. To the degree that I contributed to any of those distractions, intended or not doesn't really matter. That falls on me. It's my responsibility and certainly I expect that responsibility as a head coach. That's all I have to say on that."

Yes, i'm trying to keep the revisionist history on Philbin under control...

He might be right, he should have played Wake more. However, the end result was playoffs, and it also limited the wear and tear on Wake's healing body. Maybe in the long run it actually wasn't such a bad thing.

All we can do as Fin Fans is be proud.

We found someone who is honest, relatable with the players, willing to blame himself, will do whatever needed to fix an issue, young, and talented.

We have to give Ross a ton of credit for this find.

After the years of incompetence, Coach Gase feels like the godsend the Dolphins needed especially how things were unfolding.

He's truly been a savior so far. I'm very impressed with his accountability skills.

Alphas like him don't usually blame themselves.

It's nice to know we have someone who has his players backs when the time comes.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think the time will come sooner than later.

We're extremely talented at premiere positions and very young with a nice mix of important vets.

He's becoming the face of the franchise if he hasn't already.

Very proud and so excited!!

Orrrr maybe it was the right decision... we did go to the playoffs afterall.. maybe Wake was fresher and contributed to it..

(not saying it is just another perspective)

I think the idea made sense at the time given what we as fans thought we knew about his Achilles rehab - e.g., "bring him along slow". But I guess the tendon was fully healed because the minute he started playing more he began getting sacks, strips an INT. I saw mention of Ajai's not playing being a miss - I think that benching for whining helped the kid get his head on right so I think that was a good move. Remember he looked "off" in the preseason. I think he needed that reality check and man did it do wonders.

Remember he looked "off" in the preseason. I think he needed that reality check and man did it do wonders.

Maybe he looked a bit off in pre season because he had
18 rushing attempts in 4 games...Kinda hard to establish something
when you're regulated to 4 carries a game

Maybe he looked a bit off in pre season because he had
18 rushing attempts in 4 games...Kinda hard to establish something
when you're regulated to 4 carries a game
Fair point. He did have a bad fumble as well. But I think the bigger point is that tough love treatment by Gase seemed to light a fire.

Back
Top Bottom