Afc East free agency breakdown - ESPN | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Afc East free agency breakdown - ESPN

phinsfan84

remember ur 1st chance may be ur last
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41926/afc-east-free-agency-breakdown

Miami Dolphins

1. Add running back help: Miami used the 62nd overall pick in 2011 to select Daniel Thomas, a big, bruising runner with a lot of ability. But of course, Thomas is going to be a rookie this season, and fully counting on him to carry the load and learn the pass protections would be foolish. Miami needs a backup plan. Bringing back Ronnie Brown, or more likely, Ricky Williams, wouldn’t be a terrible situation. But just adding Brown or Williams wouldn’t be enough. Snatching up Ahmad Bradshaw or DeAngelo Williams would obviously be a huge addition and would push Thomas to backup status. Even bringing in a reliable back like Joseph Addai or Jason Snelling might do the trick as Thomas develops. Another option is to add a specialty player like Darren Sproles.

2. Find competition for Chad Henne: Personally, I am not ready to write off Henne. I believe in the approach that Miami has taken this offseason. The Dolphins have surrounded him with pieces to make his life much easier. But still, adding a veteran signal-caller seems like a must at this point. Suitable options include Marc Bulger, Donovan McNabb or even Vince Young, who is soon to be released by Tennessee. If quarterback remains a problem after this year, then Miami needs to sell the farm to draft its next franchise quarterback. But in the meantime, this would be my approach.

3. Make a splash on D: To me, the Dolphins’ three biggest needs are quarterback, running back and then free safety. Even if Miami didn’t add a defender of any sort in free agency, I would rank its 2011 defense among the best in the NFL. I am that high on this group. But what if the Dolphins could land a real talent at free safety? Imagine the possibilities. This is a deep free-agent class of safeties. I would love to see the Dolphins sign someone like Michael Huff or especially Eric Weddle. Even adding a solid player with upside like Brodney Pool would be helpful here.

Top free agents: Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Tony McDaniel, Richie Incognito, Tyler Thigpen

I do agree that both Safety positions are in need of upgrade. We need a true coverage safety who can make plays over the top. I dont know if that player is on our roster but i am excited to see how R. Jones progresses

I don't think FS is our third weakness and if it is that is not a bad thing. Clemons wasn't a major playmaker last year, but he rarely hurt us as far as I could tell. I may think that is a big deal because the distaster at the postion the year before... I think another very effective pass rush type would really help us out. Funny thing with this roster is it is pretty solid. When I try to think of a serious weakness very little comes to mind. Of course RB is a spot that needs help, and unfortunately QB probably isn't a place where we can really improve. After that the oline could use some depth and maybe they make a splash with stud guard, but I see too much money being spent on the line to make a serious upgrade.

I think safety is a pretty mild concern at the moment. Finding a second TE or someone to play opposite of Wake would be a bigger concern I feel atm.

here's my approach with FS, and I've said as much; I think Chris Clemmons is a nice player and far from a weakness, same with Bell, but if we can get a true playmaking safety, an Eric Weddle, Quinten Mikell, or Dawan Landry type, you take it.

here's my approach with FS, and I've said as much; I think Chris Clemmons is a nice player and far from a weakness, same with Bell, but if we can get a true playmaking safety, an Eric Weddle, Quinten Mikell, or Dawan Landry type, you take it.

Spot on. If we were to upgrade, I think the Fins definitely need a ball-hawking safety. I don't foresee many BIG plays from Clemons, and 11 picks for a season just isn't good enough.

I think safety is a pretty mild concern at the moment. Finding a second TE or someone to play opposite of Wake would be a bigger concern I feel atm.

I couldnt agree more. i would love the idea of bringing in a TE such as Zach Miller or Kevin Boss to compliment Fasano. We have a Pro-bowl SS and I think between Reshad Jones and Chris Clemons we have great options at FS. We need to focus on Vet QB (Mcnabb or VY) RB (Dwill or Bradshaw) and a return man (Bush or sproles) even though we may have that man in Gates. and possibly another LB to replace crowders sorry ***. wouldnt mind a Vet lineman either. I think i may be asking for too much though

What do you guys think about Osi U. to bring in on passing downs? Could be a very good situational pass rusher (if healthy).

he could be, but he's still gonna want big money. I like Osi, but if you've ever heard him talk he does have a fairly big ego

I like McGahee as a sleeper. Reliable vet for Thomas to share carries with, and hasn't done enough the last few years to warrant a big paycheck. Local boy too.

I would def welcome Willis for the right price.

I do agree that both Safety positions are in need of upgrade. We need a true coverage safety who can make plays over the top. I dont know if that player is on our roster but i am excited to see how R. Jones progresses
I think Clemons is that guy. He seems to always be around the ball, just dropped some real gimmes this past season. He will be fine, and he will make plays. I think Jones will get more time this year and Bell is still playing well. Jones I think is a play maker, basically I think Jones-Clemons can be the future at FS and SS and were set with the starters back there.

Fasano would be a great 2nd TE, but we need a true pass catching TE who can make plays out there. RB is interesting because I would assume a pounder like Thomas is supposed to get a good amount of carries this year. So if we brought back Ronnie, and picked up a scat back like the author said, that leaves an odd amount of carries to be dispersed. I think Sheets can be a good 3rd option, minus injury.

I'm praying to God that Jones is our playmaker at safety. I think he can be, and I think he will be. With the drafting of Wilson and the likely cutting of Culver, I think they will start playing him at strong safety to see what he is capable of there. Something tells me he would be a better FS, but the front office seems insistent on Clemons being there and not at SS. From my understanding, the FS and SS positions are pretty similar in Nolan's system so it may not be a problem.

QB, RB, OLB, OG/OT, and TE are the priorities in that order.

Back
Top Bottom