AFCE First Round Picks - What is your analysis? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFCE First Round Picks - What is your analysis?

The New Guy

Starter
Reaction score
#4 Buffalo Bills - Sammy Watkins

#18 New York Jets - Calvin Pryor

#19. Miami Dolphins - Ja'Wuan James

#29 New England Patriots - Dominique Easley

The Bills paid a high price to move up 5 spots. I think Watkins has a good chance to be one of the top WRs in the NFL, so I like this move for Buffalo. E.J Manuel will have no excuses if he doesn't take a big step forward this year. The Bills might be a sleeper team to watch out for.

The Jets needed help at safety, but I feel like CB was a much bigger need for them. Not a bad pick, but if they don't land a starting CB, I think they are going to regret going into the season with Patterson and Milliner as their top two corners.

We desperately needed a RT, but I wish we would have traded down with the Saints and picked up an extra 3rd round pick. James better come in right away and solidify the RT spot. If he does, I won't care that we reached. If he turns into another Jonathan Martin, this could be a very short tenure for Hickey.

Vince Wilfork is getting older and coming off a torn Achilles, so why not draft a guy who had two torn ACLs in 4 years as his replacement? :chuckle: This guy could turn out to be great, or an injury bust.

Lots of people were not liking the Dolphins pick. Don't really know enough about the guy to have much of an opinion. I just saw a show this morning on NFL Network where they were calling him a bit of a reach, basically saying the same thing you said. Questioning why they didnt trade down to get him.

I like the Jets pick. They needed help in the secondary and i'm guessing it simply came down to the fact that they liked Pryor at safety much more then they liked Denard at corner.

Watkins can be the next Calvin Johnson, but is EJ the guy that can get him the ball?

I think the Bills gave up too much considering the state of their QB, Watkins is a great player and his success depends on EJ. Pryor fills a spot where the Jets were thin at, i like the pick. I dont think the Dolphins reached at all, they had a need they needed to fill and they picked their target. I hate when people talk about reaching. I like the Dolphins pick as well. As far as the Pats pick, not sure what they are thinking with his ACL injuries, but hell, the Jets just drafted a CB that was hurt all the time, could be a boom or bust situation for him, hopefully the latter.

My analysis:

Bills gave up two firsts for a great wide receiver who is going to have to play on stilts to catch EJ's air mail.

Jets gonna Jet.

Bill Belichick once again chooses an injured guy from Florida who is probably a double murderer.

Dolphins played it very safe and IMO simply gave up value, but really, after going back and reading my own posts about Tyson Clabo and our OL during the season, I feel OK with the move.

I'm pretty happy with the Jets draft. Love the Amaro pick. A big, pass catching tight end. Just what this team needs. I already talked about the Pryor pick, i'm a fan of it.

Sounds like Dex McDougle was a guy who could have been drafted higher if he didn't get hurt and continued to perform well. He was playing really well before his injury. I think Idzik saw good value there.

4th round seems like the Jets doubled-up on receivers hoping that one pans out. Sanders sounds pretty explosive. I like Shaq Evans a little more but we'll see.

The Boyd pick is interesting only because of the name value. I think the Jets see him as a guy who they can groom into Geno's backup (assuming Geno sticks as a starter that is).

You can't really judge the draft until you see the players play on Sunday. From what i've read and seen from college games, I like it. We'll see.

I am pretty happy w/ the first 2 rds but we'll see if these guys are ready to contribute right away. There's no doubt we have much more talent and will have a ton of competition in camp which is a good thing. Now it is up to Rex and company to get them ready to play and contribute. I am excited for this season, I expect a playoff year for the first time in 3 years(I know it has been 4 since we made it but I expected to be a playoff team in 2011).

The AFCE could be very competitive this year. It is all going to come down to which QB (besides Brady) plays the best. The Dolphins, Bills and Jets have all made moves which should help the QB.

Hopefully the moves the Dolphins made will translate into better protection for Ryan, and being able to covert 3rd and 1s. If we can do that, I will feel good about our chances of making the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom