After Extensive Film Study Of The Game...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Extensive Film Study Of The Game......

Butterfrog 2.0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ok, I coach a little league football and 2 of the other coaches just happen to be big phins fans as well which is kinda wierd being here in VA, but anyway we got together and decided to study the game film and some of the things we noticed in general were........

First of all the Blitz was NOT working, all it did for the most part was take someone else out of coverage and the QB generally still had just as much time to throw the ball and the result was defenders trying to cover WR's/RB's one on one for longer than they should ever have to. Either that, or Pittsburgh would hit the screen or short routes where there was no defender because they were being tied up at the O-line TRYING to blitz. The front 4 was getting a decent push, and added pressure when they only rushed those 4, and they "Probably" would have been better off letting those guys do their thing and dropping more into coverage more often. Also you could tell that there was a lot of confusion on defense. Guys didn't seem to know where they were going or where they were supposed to be in the secondary. I know though that Saban has a very complex scheme, and as they get more acclimated to it they will play a lot better.

Culpepper: He played a decent game, but nowhere near what he is capable of. He hit some really good/differicult throws but missed some very routine, easy ones as well. Even with those missed throws though he had a very nice game up until the end with the 2 Int's in which he was just forcing the ball trying to make something to happen. Say what you want about the coverage, or how good the Pittsburgh defense is but those were two throws that should Not have been made.

Ronnie Brown/Running Game: Yes he missed some holes, but he also found some very small ones, and then made some of his own. Ronnies vision really is not as bad as most people seem to think, and his biggest problem just may be that he has no confidence in the O-line to open a hole up for him. When you're getting defenders meeting you in the backfield the majority of the time it's going to cause you to be a little hesitant and searching to make a play on your own. The O-lines run blocking was nothing short of horrible, and it would have taken a Beast to actually have been productive running the ball last night for Miami, and I'm not just talking about someone who is really good, I mean an actual BEAST....... Like a big mythical creature that weighs 800 lbs and is fast as lightning......LoL, no but seriously it would be asking an aweful lot to expect production out of the RB with what he had to deal with. The other thing that really hurt the running game was simply that they were not running the ball. It is a LOT harder to be able to get the run game going if you are only running the ball very sporatically.

All In all despite ALL of the things that went wrong Miami played a pretty decent game against the defending champs, and have some positive things to build on. for 1.... Daunte will only get better, the O-line will get better at run blocking(they can't get any worse IMO), the defense mainly the defensive backfield will imrpove...... Travis Daniels will provide a major boost IMO as he should know the system like the back of his hand by now where everybody else on the team is basically still learning, The front 7 looked very solid, and the WR's proved they are a playmaking group. Basically we all agreed that if we were coaching this team we wouldn't be too upset with the performance on the field but would expect much better results/execution in the future.

We have to realize Pitsburgh has one of the top 5 run defenses in the league and against our average O-Line it made for a long night. I liked what I seen out of Ronnie though. He ran hard and had a few nice shake and bake runs on the Steelers players. Surprised to not see Suggs come in for a few carries.

What do you make of the coverage put on Chambers? Seems he just couldn't do much against Ike Taylor. Was he being doubled? I would like to see more of Hagan out there.

I was surprised how well they ran with Parker against our D.

Good post. Accurate observations. Only time will tell if and how we get better.

I agree with all you said, but you forgot something.I think offensively what killed us was the offensive coordinator. A few years back i think it was chan gailey or norv turner. He would call a wide reciever screen every other play. I would yell at the tv everytime he called it. The play calling imo was horrible. I forgot mcmicheal and chambers was on our team at one point . We were first down in the red zone and not once did we run the ball. pitt was bum rushing our back field all night long. How about running a screen play? Milarkeys play calling to me is all about trickery and deception. We needed to just line up and run the ball. Line up drop back and throw the ball. We tried to run a flea flicker and a reverse. with no results. im so angy right now its hard to put my thoughts together. Its one game we will get better. IMO if our off coordinator from last year was calling this game. we would have won this game!

This is about the same thing I concluded after watching the game..I wasn't that disappointed, I had a feeling we may lose this one..but I was hoping for a good game from our team and for the most part they gave a good showing, I'm hoping for improvement as the season go..we beat Denver way worst last year and they ended up okay, I think we have a chance to do the same.

I believe the coaches lost the game we should have been running the ball or very short passes to run the clock and try to win the game with defense. I think the coaches didnt have confidence in our D to hold them at the end of the game

jdprock said:
I believe the coaches lost the game we should have been running the ball or very short passes to run the clock and try to win the game with defense. I think the coaches didnt have confidence in our D to hold them at the end of the game

Well, you need to be pretty much 50-50 run pass, but our pass was working more than the run because we didn't have sucess running the ball. We were about 12 carries short of being balanced. Would Ronnie have done better on those 12 carries if he got them? who knows? He scored 2 TD's I don't think he could have tired Burgh's DL because our O Line wasn't plowing through them enough to give Ronnie a break. I think Cowher was figuring out Mularky's calls and beating him to the punch some of the time.
:dolphins:

We did fairly well..... but 1 thing irks me........We seem to give up the really really big play that kills us!

I agree with a lot that you said. Now I do think that if Ferrotte and Linehan were here that we would have won the game. Please!!! Don't jump on my back. I still think in the long run Culpepper is the man for the job. I just think he didn't seem to have any feel for the wide receivers. I think that is why there were a lot of WR screens and short outs. On one pass in the endzone where it was almost picked, it seemed that Pep thought Chambers was going to go to the back of the endzone and not to the corner. I'm just glad our schedule gets "easier" for a stretch so that we can improve on a lot of things. We still have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball.

TX-FinFan said:
We have to realize Pitsburgh has one of the top 5 run defenses in the league and against our average O-Line it made for a long night. I liked what I seen out of Ronnie though. He ran hard and had a few nice shake and bake runs on the Steelers players. Surprised to not see Suggs come in for a few carries.

What do you make of the coverage put on Chambers? Seems he just couldn't do much against Ike Taylor. Was he being doubled? I would like to see more of Hagan out there.

He ran for under 4 ypc. He only had 2-3 decent runs. If our offense had been able to move the ball more consistently Parker would not have had that many carries.

I think that the Steelers defense was better then our offense. It is that simple. DC didn't look that bad, he made some mistakes, but he has been away for over a year. I am very concerned about the secondary though. That needs to be tightened up or the Phins could be in trouble.

I saw a Blitzing Thomas repeatedly be tied up with an interior lineman on a rushing play to the outside edge of the oline. The place normally where Thomas excels at when he is allowed to diagnose the play. It drove me out of my mind!

TX-FinFan said:

Our D stuffed him for about a quarter and a half but unlike us, they didn't give up on the run and by keeping our 30 something's on the field longer and longer as the game wore on they wore us down. If our defense keeps allowing first down after first down that lead to extended drives, look for a lot of backs to get 100+ games on us with 80-90% of their total coming late in the 2nd quarter, halfway through the 3rd, and throughout the 4th quarters.

MIAMI_GUNNZZ said:
We needed to just line up and run the ball.

We don't have the horses on the offensive line. Period.

Back
Top Bottom